Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

From what I’ve read, it will be more expensive than current models.

2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Of course it will be even though it’s not seemingly a huge upgrade for what it is. Maybe in a few more years when they can get the OLED’s out of the equation and just go with Quantum Dots then they may have something more worthwhile. These corporations are greedy and they keep testing the consumer to see how much they can get away with charging. So far they get away with murder as I’m seeing it. Sony just keeps resting on it’s laurels and the majority aren’t seeing it. Sony is slowly digging itself a grave though if they keep it up by not competing harder.

3. audiomixer

I don’t think the industry is the same anymore. Cheap, big sized televisions seem to what the majority of the people want; quality comes in a distant second.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I for one is absolutely thrilled with my cheap big TCL tv. Yes I see the OLED’s at Costco for over $1k but with HDR and Dolby Vision (and Roku built in), you just can’t beat that deal (in my case $499).

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The new innovations in OLED screens from LG continue to impress. Now they have these new rollable screens that emerge from a plinth on the floor. Amazing.

LG Rollable OLED TV R | LG SIGNATURE

The Sony OLEDs are just rebadged LGs, as I'm sure has been said above.

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I knew these were coming someday and that TV is very cool... but $100K? Really?? Not that cool! :)

7. audiomixer

I'll admit, that's a deal! However, this Sony's upscaling and processing are literally to die for. I've never seen anything like it!

IanL and Alan G. like this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I know! But prices come down pretty fast on LG models. My 77" OLED is now far cheaper than what I paid for it; you can by an 83" 4K model for that price. The 88" 8K model that originally listed for $35,000 can now be had for $25,000. Every year the technology and innovations get better and the prices come down.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When OLED was first announced, the story was that eventually, you would be able to be a portable 65" OLED TV that you could carry a tube and unroll it when you visit someone and tack it to the wall. This roll out TV is getting there but not quite. :)

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And only $100,000! I'll buy 3! :laugh:

AngusStanley likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

We joke, but here in the bay area all kinds of people with unlimited resources are building their dream homes and wouldn't blink at putting one of these in multiple bedrooms. Then LG takes that money and more of its own to invest in the manufacturing process. Before you know it, rollable OLEDs are affordable and everyone is buying one. Bet they'll also have a ceiling-mounted model that looks like a cornice and descends like a projection screen.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. audiomixer

Has anyone else jumped on one of these yet?

13. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

The only hiccup I’ve had since setting up the A80J is concerning CEC, the non-standard, unregulated, whatever-the-corporation-thinks control program. I have a six year old Marantz receiver controlled by the Sony (with ARC, not eARC). A couple of times a week, five minutes after turning off the TV (which turns off the AVR), the Marantz will turn back on. Forty seconds later, it turns back off. The TV never turns back on, but it appears it’s looking for something. Odd, but totally manageable.

Otherwise, this TV is absolutely stunning.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. audiomixer

I'm constantly in awe of its picture quality with 4K material & upscaled 1080p.

Joshua Tree, IanL and Alan G. like this.
  15. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

When the 65" came down to $1800 at costco w/ a 5 year warranty included, I had to bite. That's a lot more than I'd want to pay for a set, but after having reliability issues with other brands, I decided it was worth it. I was looking at the LG C1 for that price, but when the A80 dropped $400 to the same price as the C1, I jumped. Best TV I've ever had for sure.

audiomixer and IanL like this.
  16. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

You won't regret it.

JimW and audiomixer like this.
  17. audiomixer

Super Bowl Deals coming up!

18. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I don't regret it. Only thing I'm considering is returning it and getting the "77!

19. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I just paired mine with some Soundcore Q35's this weekend. Love it. Football is so much fun to watch on this television.

20. audiomixer

No they aren't. They have their own electronics and processors. They just use LG panels. That's were the similarity stops.

Dave, Spitfire, IanL and 1 other person like this.
  21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

False. Please do your research.

audiomixer and Spitfire like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was certainly true when I bought my OLED in 2019 and still appears to be true. Doing a quick Google search now, it seems that Samsung and Sony claim to have new product launches in 2022 that I was not aware of and don't have a lot of time to research at the moment. But those new products are not yet available. If you're interested in a more substantive post than an empty snipe-n-run, maybe you could educate me?

23. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Lol, being called out for being lazy and incorrect is now referred to as snipe-n-run.

A division of LG, separate from the division that sells televisions, manufactures all of the OLED panels used in various models across different brands. That's all they do. Manufacture a panel. Each company that engineers and sells OLED televisions manufacture the bezel, speakers, remote control, electronics attached to a panel. They write all the software that you interact with. So how you experience the actual television is all dictated by the individual company, not the panel manufacturer. How they handle color, codecs, upscaling, etc., which inputs and outputs they include, and how well they perform. How they are calibrated.

If you would like any more detail, I'll let YOU do the work, when you have more time. As long as somebody looking to learn about OLED TVs doesn't come into this thread, read your post, and then think all OLED TVs are the same except the "badge."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  24. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Samsung Electronics and Sony have a deal to release Quantum Dot OLED TVs made by Samsung Display. Sony will also still be selling regular OLED TVs as well just like they have for the past number of years with their own electronics but the panel is supplied by LG. Samsung electronics will now also be procuring regular OLED panels from LG and releasing their own TVs. So more choices for 2022 if Quantum Dot OLEDs end up being released as they may not be available until the end of the year (and yes they will be more expensive than regular OLED. As good? Will have to wait and see reviews). No clear news on a release date yet. Samsung Display is also working on QNED which is Quantum Dots with nano rods instead of OLEDs as a light source. Samsung is most likely waiting to see if QNED may be ready sooner rather than later to decide to jump to it instead of only using Quantum Dot OLED for a year or two for financial reasons. Affordable Micro LED TVs for the masses are still a ways off for now.

GregM likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

So you admit the screens are made by a division of LG. When Sony uses them it's a rebadge. There is nothing novel in the bezel, remote, color processing, codecs, user interface, upscaling, power supply, etc. All types of TVs have those. Apparently this was very confusing to you in your "research" but we're talking about OLED TVs.

You've admitted that the OLED panel is LG's. Thus, it's a rebadge. Thanks for admitting I was right.

Go for it! The 77" lets you see every detail and enjoy your shows and movies like never before.