Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

Beamish13, johnnypaddock and jay.dee like this.
  2. dvdmovies123

dvdmovies123 Forum Resident

The Last Refuge Sound System III

[​IMG]

I played on this album; it is a live improv album, me and a few others just got together on a Discord voice chat and did whatever we wanted.

Some parts get very noisy and loud. I just blasted distorted Gex quotes into a crappy mic and played an old Beethoven cassette and some stuff off of the radio at extremely high volume levels.

The entire album is an hour long, there are only three tracks being about 19 to 21 minutes each. The recording and sound quality is not the greatest, it's in mono most of the time and gets quite distorted on the loud parts.

We also recorded 5 other albums for some reason then stopped. In my opinion this album is the best out of the six.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. dvdmovies123

dvdmovies123 Forum Resident

forgot to put this:

(live improvisation, full-length, digital only, released June 24, 2021)

4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

sberger likes this.
  5. johnnypaddock

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MICHEL PORTAL | OUR MEANINGS AND OUR FEELINGS | PATHÉ MARCONI | 1969 | FIRST FRENCH STEREO PRESSING C 054_10525 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This record is a real mot***f****r. One of the most important Free Jazz LPs from Europe. Highly intense, crushing but also adding bits of folk-melodies (à la Ayler) and almost pop-based rhythms. At other times, oriental influenes give this album an almost exotic flavour. There's also an impressive range of instruments the two leaders (Joachim Kühn is the second, younger brother of Rolf Kühn, inofficial leader) made use of, switiching between those several times during tracks, but seam- and flawlessly. On top of that, the recording is spot on, with great clarity and tremendous and visceral, gut-massaging punch. J.F. Jenny Clarks bass is always audible and perfectly fleshed out, as are the two drummers.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    johnnypaddock likes this.
  8. robbow99

robbow99 Forum Resident

Roger Thornhill and jay.dee like this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Lots of stuff over the past couple of weeks but this A.M an old favorite - plus I’ve never seen anyone else list it

Mat Maneri & Randy Peterson: Light Trigger

recorded way back in 1998

maybe the one recording that captures Mat somewhere near how incredible he sounds at a live concert. Randy Peterson was then and remains the most exciting visceral drummer on the planet to my ears. There have been numerous shows with Randy (and usually Mat and others with him) over the years that still have me wondering what the **** happened and where that energy and power come from. Would love to see 2022 give us a few more times to see him. NYC still regrettably nowhere near back and open enough for this music to be presented as it needs to be for the connection to the audience that i need to fully enjoy the live experience.

10. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Spinning the RVG stereo first press this morning:
    [​IMG]
    One of my all time favorites.

11. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Hélène Breschand & Jean-François Pauvros - Sombre (Victo, 2015)

[​IMG]

John Cage/Far East music-inflected minimalism for harp and electric guitar.

Sombre

Svetonio and johnnypaddock like this.
  12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Now I Do This, by Nick Didkovsky (avant-rock, full-length, reissue, physical CD available, released November 20, 2021, New York, New York)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Silesian Winter

93curr and johnnypaddock like this.
  13. johnnypaddock

Body/Dilloway/Head
    2021, Three Lobed Recordings

Three Lobed Recordings has been releasing nonstop gems over the last year as part of their 20th anniversary series. Body/Head is the duo of Kim Gordon and Bill Nace, with Aaron Dilloway added this time around. A great listen.

[​IMG]

14. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Minafra/ Cherkazova -- Round Trip Apulia Balkans (Love just about everything Pino Minafra's son has done, this being the latest)

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Arcane Silhouettes, by Sleepyhead (experimental rock, full-length, physical CD available, released November 24, 2021, Chattanooga, Tennessee)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Galaxia

17. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MARION BROWN SEPTET | JUBA_LEE | FONTANA | RECORDING 1966 | RELEASE 1967 | DUTCH FIRST STEREO PRESSING 881_012_ZY LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

420JJJazz666, 93curr, sberger and 3 others like this.
  18. wamuelsard88

wamuelsard88 Well-Known Member

THIS IS MY BAND!!!

I can't thank you enough for giving us some exposure!!! We are just a duo of multi-instrumentalist, Lee writes the lyrics, co-writes the songs, drums, and plays lead guitar... And Samuel co-writes the songs, does the ambient "weird" parts, plays bass, lead and what I call "texture" or "Adrian Belew" style guitar, all keyboards, drum programming, produced and engineered the record. The way I engineered the album has a lot of Hard-Pans in it, so I'd say a good stereo system or headphones are required. This was our first attempt at a home recording, so we will get cleaner and less "lo-fi" as I get better at the program I'm using.

I also release solo music under the project "Wamuel Sard" on Bandcamp. It's a little weirder and personal, but I hope some people out there can enjoy it.
    I Wish I Knew Where I Was Headed, by Wamuel Sard

Let us know what you think of the releases! What you like, what you don't like, etc etc... As a local band from Chattanooga, we can use all the exposure we can get! I'm also glad you liked Galaxia the most, that is one of my favorites as well! :)
    Many thanks!!!

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

jay.dee likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got this. Looking forward to listening over the weekend.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

jay.dee likes this.
  23. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

Slow Sketch Vol. 2: Reflections of the Ambient Community (El Muelle download, 2020)

A 36-track compilation of some great ambient artists.

[​IMG]

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Gwendolyne / Les Boniments, by Heratius (avant-garde /experimental rock, reissue, vinyl LP available, full-length, releases December 3, 2021, Montpellier, France)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Les Pelouses (en allegro)

iwokeinrelief and jay.dee like this.
  25. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'm hearing from reliable sources that Alvin Lucier has left us...

420JJJazz666 likes this.