The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Well, I guess that Waldorf Salad was also kinda unknown in the UK then:

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

“Through the 70s, service stations were often tough places of football hooliganism and vandalism, rather than epicurean delight. It was fried food, English breakfasts and a few “tired English classic meals, such as pork and vegetables, lamb and vegetables, straightforward puddings, ice-cream, jellies, spotted dick … that sort of thing”. Anyone want to stop for a spotted dick and a punch-up?”
    —-earlier in article (below)—-
    “Originally run by a company called Blue Boar, it was a place for drivers to stop for the human necessities: tea and a pee. And for their cars – more prone to breakdown than today’s – to have a rest, too. It was a place for nocturnal motorcyclists to speed to as fast as their machines would carry them on three lanes free of traffic. It was a stopover for bands on the road – the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, Dusty Springfield, the Eagles. And it was a place for a grilled meal. “Grilled ham and other grilled meats, vegetables, fairly straightforward desserts, puddings and custards, fruit flans, ice-cream … that kind of thing,” says Lawrence.”
    Motorway meals: how 60 years of the service station has shaped how Britain eats

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Pretty sure we did.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Unknown to Basil but that's not saying much!

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, letting the chef go early, when you're a hyperactive thoroughly incompetent .... urrrrm dork, isn't really a good move :)

The late man and DISKOJOE like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Hmmm stopping at a roadhouse for some spotted dick has all sorts of complications..... and here comes Percy again

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is a great episode. Classic.

8. mark winstanley

I love the whole series.
    Like the Young Ones, they kept it tight and short, and didn't wear out their welcome...
    Mrs Richards still cracks me up

9. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Motorway"

"Oh that motorway living, ain't it a thrill to be so free, yeh". Not sure how you wouldn't want to sing along to such a catchy little tune about the horrors of trying to find something to eat when you are on the road. I always bring my own snacks and groceries and try to avoid all that motorway food of heat lamp burgers and chicken nuggets. I do like a roadside diner BLT, with American bacon of course. :) Actually I think it would be a good sandwich with any quality style bacon. It seems like the easiest thing for a truck stop not to mess up, but somehow even this simple little sandwich can be a travesty. I did some research on these lyrics a couple months ago. I hear "Thousands on raft" and came to the conclusion that it is beans on toast.

The addition of the organ is a great touch and fortunately keeps it sounding less like The Eagles and more like The Kinks! The drums also kick it up a notch. Another song that sounds like it could have been a Muswell Hillbillies outtake. I would welcome this song on any album. I'm happy to read that others also find it entertaining.

10. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Ah "rye" vs. "raft" vs. "rock"....yet another "own sweat" vs. "arm sweat"-like controversy in the Kinks thread. Thank you, Ray, and your indecipherable enunciation.

This talk has got me fondly recalling my mom's "raft" lettuce desert: A single "raft" piece of lettuce with a single pineapple ring laid across it, and a generous dollop of Cottage Cheese on top.

No thousand Island dressing, though.

11. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Nice Baps

OK, as we are discussing motorway food I thought it appropriate to post this link to the best motorway food in the UK. I was listening to radio a few years back when a story popped up about this man who had a shack on the side of the A39 down in Cornwall. Apparently, he had turned down a £80,000 offer from Costa. Fast forward a year or so and the offer had increased to £750,000. Still refused to sell up. Was there talking to him in June. Still can't believe it.

NICE BAPS, Wadebridge - Updated 2021 Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Popular café called 'Nice Baps' turns down £750,000 buyout bid from Costa Coffee

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You might want to explain the phrase 'nice baps' to our non-UK friends... or maybe you shouldn't.

13. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

I'll let you do it.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Reviews provide a general hint: “Bacon Bap for me and a breakfast Bap for hubby. Both perfect, warm soft baps and hot tasty filling …”

A wonderful Cheese, Tomato & Mushroom Melt!
    Stopped by randomly with friends. Oh my, my floury bap…”

15. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Ah, lovely white fluffy bread rolls that look like... :D

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I enjoy the little detours on this thread: yesterday I was listening to Motley Crue and today it's a grainy interview with Mister cats eye. He was eccentric all right e.g. having four TVs in one room on without the sound and crates of beer on the floor in front of the chairs. As someone born there it was nice to see he stayed a proper Yorkshireman using traditional turns of phrase like "tha don't get summut for nowt"* [translation: you don't get something for nothing] From the questioning, it seems having no carpets or curtains was the ultimate sin in 1968!

*edit: before someone corrects me (I'm still smarting from the cor anglais) I do know the phrase is more often said as "owt for nowt."

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Reminds me of this 1970 Randy Newman track, which had originally been recorded by Alan Price a couple of years earlier:

Old Kentucky Home

18. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

The best track on the album so far in my opinion.

As for the menu, I'm with the beans on toast brigade.

And I think we'd better keep the cat's eyes firmly on the roadway if you please. otherwise we may have nightmares.

19. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

Is that something like being in the Citizens for Boysenberry Jam?

pablo fanques, Zeki, Smiler and 3 others like this.
  20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I liked the louder vocal at first but since the backing is more subdued, it's not as dynamic when the chorus comes around. The piccolo cuts through nicely though.
    Overall, I prefer the original mix. I winder if the Celluloid Heroes comp has the single mix.

Good song, but I can't hear any resemblance.

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Motorway
    I hear Powerman in the first strums of this song. I'm sure others have pointed that out (haven't read everyone's take just yet)

@ajsmith - I think you nailed it on the Bach bit. As has been said before, Ray is a big fan of Bach.

This song sounds very modern country to me - but a more palatable version. it's got a good groove. Like I could almost see line dancing happening with this song. Which usually would make me a little twitchy. Ha. But I do like this! It's a fun subject. Writing about life on the road...and talk of food. Why not? sure.

what are cats eyes and thousand on raft? Maybe someone already answered that.

Really enjoy the final line: I never thought I'd travel so far to work.
    this isn't just a 'calling', but how he keeps food on the table...just as long as it's not motorway food. I know my belly would be in rough shape if I had to eat only what was offered on the highway.

22. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Well we go from the sublime yesterday, to the not so much today. I suppose it’s fun enough and there are some good lines, but if I never heard it again I would be ok with that.

23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Mea culpa - instead of listening to the clip you provided, I popped my Randy Newman CD into my CD player. I meant to select that track but instead heard "Have You Seen My Baby". After actually hearing "My Kentucky Home" I can indeed see the resemblance.
    In my defense, it's been a long time since I listened to 12 Songs. Great album!

The late man and DISKOJOE like this.
  24. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Re "Sitting in My Hotel" 1976 mix that @Michael Streett posted: I haven't A/B'd them but while the horn is quite prominent here, I may prefer this mix simply because I find the drums too overpowering in the original.

When will Ray let us have the multitracks??? I'm ready.:)

25. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

For Sitting In My Hotel I do prefer the original album mix as well due to the way the vocals were mixed and presented. Where I prefer the 1976 remix is the two organ tracks are a little more balanced between the channels. The single note organ in the right channel of the 1976 remix is a little more distinct or you could say the chorded organ on the left is a little quieter.
    Pretty sure those comp remixes were all done in 1976 by Ray for that album specifically. I’m not aware of the single b-side of Sitting In My Hotel being a different mix from the original album but I don’t own that single so can’t compare today. But stranger things have happened. It’s The Kinks after all…