David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I figured there was no chance I would get a pre order the day after US Thanksgiving, so I'm going to try to find in a shop. But now will have to wrestle w/ Black Friday RSD. At least it's on streaming sites.

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So how is that you are copying a partial quote(before another sustained burst of creativity) from another SHF Member, popbard(the end of his post above #2939) and attached it to my name that you quoted? Not sure how you were able to even do that, but please do not do that in the future.

3. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Yeah, I don't get it. I put in my order literally within an hour of it being listed on amazon US. They're saying they don't have stock to fill the orders. They must have very little stock if that is the case because there couldn't have been that many people ordering before me given the original listing price of this thing!

Oh well, looks like I'll have to shift to weekend Plan B, and B unfortunately does not stand for Bowie.

4. Extra funding for Jeff’s Space Adventures?
    In a way Amazon geoblocking Australia back in 2018 was the biggest favour they could have done me.Found other and better retailers and never have to use Amazon again or even wish I could.

5. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

bug?

6. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Yeah, received an email from them about 45 minutes ago. And then just chatted with a customer service rep who tells me that they just don't have the stock to fulfill the orders, which seemed strange to me given I'm a prime member who ordered it within an hour of it being listed for sale on their site. She ended by telling me that the 12/7 is a worst case scenario and that I should have it before then, but I'm not counting on it. Getting the "where the hell is my Kind of Blue UHQR that I ordered months ago" feeling.

croquetlawns and whatprogress like this.
  7. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I couldn't think of anything better for him to spend his money on. Makes me want to use Amazon more than ever. I'd do exactly the same if I had his dosh. What an experience that must be.
    Ad Astra.

Mo0g likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

Either way, you are misrepresenting my comment, so please ask a Gort to remove your prior post using me in that quote you replied to(and if it is a bug, then let them know about it), and then repost your quote from the appropriate SHF Member, popbard, and let him speak for himself, who you decided to quote.
    Thank You

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

How does Amazon understock a Bowie Box Set(especially during the Holiday Season when some people buy it as a Gift), that a lot of his fans have been waiting for the past few years? Did Amazon do this for recent Beatles and George Harrison Box Sets?( just asking as I did not buy those Box Sets). I am an Amazon Prime Member, and if I would have preordered this Bowie BA Box Set from them, I would be upset with the edge of space flying ***** head.

Hoping my order from ImportCDs will not have this same problem, or I will cancel and buy it from another vendor, even if it cost more, since I have a Surgery scheduled on December 8th.

chickendinna and whatprogress like this.
  10. FCat

FCat Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people don't live near record shops so I get the use of Amazon (despite their ****ty labour practices) - but local stores will often ship to your door too. Plus because they have close relationships with distro they often get things early. I've managed to get the last three era sets early either for the same price or nominally more expensive (which I'm very happy to give to a store owner I know).

11. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I don’t think being a Prime member means much anymore, if it ever did. Lots of people subscribe to Prime. I do and ordered the box day one like someone else mentioned above and got the same 12/7 date. If they don’t have the stock they don’t have the stock. Now I’ll be more irritated if the box shows up as in stock on Friday with next day delivery, as has happened with several other high profile releases.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm going to walk into a record store and buy it on release day

13. Listen to the Drive By Truckers song Putting People On The Moon for an alternate viewpoint.

lucan_g likes this.
  14. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

nah, they are dreadful.
    I saw them at the Electric Ballroom about 10 years ago. Toe-curling. One of the few gigs I've walked out of.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Well, after 1980, there's only two periods where DB puts out two LPs of (mostly) original, self-written material in two years or less: 1993 (with BTWN and Buddha both out the same year), and 2002-2003 (with Heathen and Reality). (I'm not counting 1983/1984, because Tonight only has two entirely self-written songs). And in 2003, he capped those two LPs by touring hard for the next year (almost). IMO of course, that's a pretty sustained burst of creativity.

Runicen, Plan9, aphexj and 2 others like this.
  16. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

I just got the email that I will get mine on Dec 1. I preordered in early October. I also ordered Prince's "sign o the times" cd box set which is scheduled to be here on Friday. I have enough music to tie me over until Dec 1. :)

Edit: I preordered the cd set.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    croquetlawns likes this.
  17. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Same here. I put my order in immediately after it showed up on Amazon. I don't think having Prime really puts a priority on our orders in any case though.

What really cheeses me off is that I put in an order for the amazon exclusive orange vinyl of the new ABBA album and they totally pulled the rug out from under me. I'm 99% certain they over sold their allotment and didn't come right out and admit to it. Instead, I got an email that it had shipped and then tracking showed that there was a problem with the product and that my order was immediately sent back to the sender. Total and complete BS. Luckily I manged to find one very slightly above Amazon's asking price on ebay after the fact. At any rate, be warned of ordering from Amazon anything potentially somewhat limited and especially anything listed as exclusive to Amazon. :cussing:

But...I'm not worried that Amazon won't pull through with this as I think these will show up at some point, but it's quite the bummer to say the least.

If anything at all, I'm putting the blame on Adele. Just kidding. Kind of. :winkgrin::laugh::p;)

Sedwards and croquetlawns like this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Started playing the studio albums last week to get in the mood. Today TM, tomorrow TM2, hopefully Friday the box

aphexj likes this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I dragged out my "Outside"-era stuff - CD singles, the "Version 2" double CD.... hope that Re:Call stays streaming for a long time, and my "Earthling" is from 2002-2003, when they did the first "remasters" (without bonus cuts). "Americans" from "Earthling" was already DR7. Yikes. I'm loving the Gail-David song from "Re:Call". Next mission: My "Showgirls" soundtrack. I have a whole wing for mullti-artist CDs, and I think it's there.

pobbard, EdwinM and croquetlawns like this.
  20. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Seriously, why do Americans have so many problems with orders? All I tend to read about is peoples anxieties and anger!

21. LaurenLovesMusic

LaurenLovesMusic Barbecutie

They’re accepting visa debit cards, just not credit cards.

And Amazon has their own payment processor- adding their competitor to do a job they can do wouldn’t make sense.

Anyway, back on topic, I’m still due to get my box the day after tomorrow. But there isn’t a national holiday here tomorrow so that might be why.

croquetlawns likes this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

Than
    Thanks for that information. No way I would give them my Debit Card with Hacking Potential. I will check out their own payment processor.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It will only effect anyone who has a UK issued Visa card, if your Visa was issued in another country it will still be accepted.

Wilco and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Did you just say ABBA ? What happened to the days when ...

[​IMG]

Ah, okay then ! :laugh:

I'm sure Amazon has never admitted to that about any product in any part of the world.

FLF and Fabrice Outside like this.