Wilson Audio Yvette

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ingenieur, Oct 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home... Thread Starter

I have 0 regrets, and based on my limited exposure (3 lp's) I can't see a need for moving on for a long time, if ever. I am glad it worked out this way.

I was playing them last night, a tad louder than usual, wife comes dancing thru, stands still, bopping her head, looks at me, nods her head, gives the :righton: , and dances away. Lol

I went to Indy every year, was there for that travesty. Those NA V engines screamed!
    St. Elmo steak house, yum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Kyhl, timind and jonwoody like this.
  2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Yes it was. The v-12

jonwoody and Ingenieur like this.
  3. Ingenieur

I revisited this today. I drew a curve thru the peaks of the graph I posted and played pink noise and tones.

I'll be darned if I did not settle at 6 clicks.
    This coincides with curve and speaker response.

I may drop it another notch or two since it is in the corner, ie, room gain.
    With the KEF it was 6-7 clicks higher.
    Listened to a familiar lp, excellent.

My gain is ~ 12 o'clock, 18-19 clicks.

Lowering the cross over and increasing gain sharpened everything up.
    The kick drum, super clean now.
    Any muddying or blurring minimized.

avanti1960, Glmoneydawg and jonwoody like this.
  4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Or was that a flat 12 Ferrari used. And what about Matra's Flat 16

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

As excellent as the SHL5+ are they are even better with a very good sub. Fortunately you have one !

Glmoneydawg, jonwoody and Ingenieur like this.
  6. Ingenieur

Back in the early 90's they used a flat V12 iirc?
    In the more recent era it went V12, V10, V8 and now V6 that makes more torque than any of them at 70% of the RPM.

Remember the mid 80's BMW 1.5 liter I4?
    Used old 2002 blocks.
    Supposedly peed on the surface treat. Lol
    1500 HP in quali trim. 900 lb-ft
    Drew straws to see had to run the dyno.

BMW M12 - Wikipedia

fact or myth?
    So, the engineers adapted a policy to use only blocks that had been driven around a 100,000 miles with no problems. The theory being, any problems would have surfaced by then, and the blocks would be suitable for the additional machining needed for racing. BMW even left the blocks outside to weather the elements for a few months, again with the goal of “seasoning” the block to eliminate any internal casting stress and stabilize all the dimensions. And finally, BMW engineers reportedly relieved themselves on the blocks, either as a sign of good luck or there was a scientific premise that warranted testing.

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

And fumes from the tailpipe would kill a rat in 30sec.

Ingenieur likes this.
  8. Ingenieur

Yep
    Basically WW2 German fighter fuel

9. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Those lumps may well be true as far as sound but I never got to see them race and hear their tones. They trundled along at 12 or 13,000 RPM. Now a flat 12 on a Testa Rossa street car I've heard. Beautiful in its own right.
    Yes, something about nearly 20,000 RPM that is simply like nothing else to be heard.

You'd remember being inside the gate but walking along Georgetown Road outside the stands and hearing a car inside running down the main straight: the engine wail would cascade echo past successive tiers of the grandstand. Ha! Jimmy Page never tried an echo trick like that in the studio.
    Many dinners at St. Elmo's - the Mid-West knows their beef.
    In keeping with the v-12 theme: a v-12 powered Prost's Ferrari 641/2. That Ferrari F1 is on permanent display at the MOMA. Presently it is mounted on the wall in the museum but I had also seen the car on display on exhibit at the MOMA probably 25 years ago. You could get up close to the car. The most striking thing about leaning over close to the cockpit was the smell of brake fluid and whatever industrial fluids splashed around inside the monocoque. The smell was still there. This was a real racecar, raced by some who survived the fatalities of F1's earlier era.
    [​IMG]

10. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I think any decent soul would enjoy a moment like that.

Ingenieur and jonwoody like this.
  11. Ingenieur

I know one thing I have to be thankful for.
    Her

F1 story
    First race in Montreal, 25+ years ago.
    We get to the track, we are excited as all get out (first trip since the kids, lol).
    My wife when pulling her hat off lost her ticket in a holder around her neck so we could not get past the guard into our GS seats.

While talking to him we heard this sound, a cross between a chain saw and a 20 mm Vulcan! Louder and louder until deafening!!!
    We ducked! Thought a plane was crashing or something, lol, guard is laughing.

Well it worked out: box office replaced the ticket, guard removed the finders from our seats, AND we bought ear plugs (now we have muffs with track radio).

:)

jonwoody likes this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

We moved to Indy, the west side, in 92. You could hear the track while sitting on out back porch most race days. Although my wife has been to the 500 a couple times as a volunteer, and twice for the F1 with clients on business outings, I have never attended a race. Only one carb day event for me, that was enough.

avanti1960 and jonwoody like this.
  14. Ingenieur

lol
    I love the scene when Penny is talking to Bob Newhart about a potato battery.

I came up so fast, it must cover 1/2 mile in ~10 seconds.

What was strange is the 'blur'.
    Accelerating is fast, but braking is -faster.
    5 g, it looks blurred backwards if that makes sense?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Ilusndweller likes this.
  15. Ilusndweller

I studied brake pad/rotor combos for a few years(converted an old lathe into a computer controlled brake pad/rotor tester). For shiggles I ran Ferrari carbon-carbon pads against cast iron rotor (our test disks were 4" diameter, machined from the largest semi rotors). I got the rotor glowing red hot and then it wore real quickly in a matter of seconds, left a groove about 1/4" deep. Pad wear was minimal.

"The Role of Surface Science in Friction Material Studies," Annual SAE Brake Colloquium, New Orleans, Louisiana. April 1996.

“A Tribometer for Studying Friction Films in Brakes,” SAE International Brake Colloquium, Gramado, Brazil. April, 1999.

“Effect of Operating Conditions on Friction Film Formation,” 17th Annual SAE Brake Colloquium, Miami Beach, Florida. October, 1999.

“Effect of Test Procedure on Friction and Wear Measurements,” 18thAnnual SAE Brake Colloquium, San Diego, California. October, 2000.

Ingenieur likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

I always use the soft oem pads, lots of dust but good cold and initial 'bite' and low rotor wear.
    I can get 70-80 k miles out of rotors.
    30k out of pads.
    I see guys going thru rotors in 20-30!
    At $500 for 1 front floating x-drilled rotor it makes sense to preserve them, lol.

Braking technique has a lot to do with it:
    Ease in
    Then hard
    Ease off

my wife goes thru them like potato chips

I love bedding new ones, get them hot and stinking :)

Ilusndweller likes this.
  17. Ilusndweller

We were trying to get 1,000,000 miles out of semi rotors (never change them for life of semi) and 333,333 out of pads (change twice, most semis last about 1,000,000 miles). We never achieved that goal. :unhunh:

Ingenieur likes this.
  18. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I feel your pain,I've owned plenty of German sports cars over the years....Porsche, Audi(3 of them)and BMW.......BMW should move to Black rims!!!Great car,but an hour after you wash it the brake dust is already making it look like you don't care about your car :(

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. Ingenieur

they've gotten smarter.
    Rim barrels are black, dark grey between spokes and a matter face. So now they just get darker over time but you can really see the difference when you wash them.

Too many spokes! pita to clean[​IMG]

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  20. Glmoneydawg

Lol....there's no pleasing us :)

Ingenieur likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

when we have it so good we really gotta reach to find something to whine about :D

The forged wheels on my AMG are hard to clean! waaaaaaa !!! :cussing:

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  22. Glmoneydawg

Lol...i will call the waaahmbulance for us ;)

Ingenieur likes this.
  23. Glmoneydawg

It's been a couple of weeks.....did you get everything dialed in to your liking?

Ingenieur and avanti1960 like this.
  24. Ilusndweller

Those look like Brembo brakes. If you havent seen this:

https://www.brembo.com/en/Varie/2015-16 BREMBO RACING CATALOGUE (595).pdf

Ingenieur likes this.
  25. Ingenieur

nice
    Downloaded
    In the F1 race Sunday a guy brake checked another (who was closing at 180 mph and < 200 feet back in his draft) at -2.4 g, 3 applications in rapid succession.
    He slowed from 180 to 60 in <200', the guy behind barely avoided him, clipped his front wing.

Ilusndweller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.