How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I might say something along the lines of ;

“You really think so ?”

or

“From whence do these ratings you speak of originate ?”

.. while not neglecting to mention to this person that internet and social media distort perceptions of real-time reality, in as much as people's opinions are subject to change frequently whereas a forum post or magazine article is virtually indelible.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    starduster and Spadeygrove like this.
  2. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

I love it when people trash the music I like. Gives me a genuine laugh, and I thank them for their honesty.

Larry L, Sear and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

It would be hard for me to stay cool in such a situation:laugh:

4. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I used to be that guy with Pet Sounds. Now I just stay away from the conversation because, as mentioned, not much good can come from being sneery or disagreeable about it. Nevertheless, overrated is a word I could see myself using in a sentence along with the record ... afterall, a helluva lot of people rate it very highly. The best thing to do, I guess, is to take popular approval/disapproval with a bit of a pinch of salt, use it as a springboard for discussion, but ultimately make up your own mind what you enjoy or don't enjoy. For every 100 people who adore a classic album, probably 20 are going to hate it, regardless.

Ahab, brucej4, zphage and 2 others like this.
  5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Well, if some people have had the “Pet Sounds is the greatest album ever made”-thing stuffed down their throat for years, then it will give a backlash at some point.

Capitol Records did exactly that in 1990 when the album was released on CD. They marketed the album like you were a fool if you didn’t owned the album. Suddenly everyone, critics and music fans, thought it was the biggest album ever.

Before 1990, the album was a cult favourite. Not at all in every Top 10 lists as being among the worlds greatest albums.

6. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Albums like Sgt. Peppers and Pet Sounds are lionised because they chartered new sonic territory. They deserve their reputation because of this, as do albums like MBV’s Loveless.

However, I can completely understand why a pop/rock fan would find Pet Sounds unappealing and even irritating…..but who cares?

It’s like someone saying they think Citizen Kane or Catcher in the Rye is overrated. Some works are just bulletproof.

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever used "overrated" to describe Pet Sounds, but I dislike it. For me it's a cluttered bloated mess of an album and generally bores me. I do however accept that it is loved by many and can understand why.

However what I do dislike more are threads that try to belittle people who have different opinions and dare to comments on such a "holy grail".

8. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I’m not really a Beach Boys fan but personally that album is flawless, one of the best Mono albums I’ve ever heard.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  9. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I'd say, "I totally agree! To be fair, it's only marginally more overrated than Sgt Pepper and the White Album, but you're spot on, Sir (or Madam)!"

rod, 22 ziggies, Kundalini and 4 others like this.
  10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Pet Sounds is my favourite album. To say it's overrated is just one opinion among many. There's always the :biglaugh:emoji if one feels particularly aggrieved.

Brian Lux and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  11. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Pet Sounds is simply awful

bluesky, Yayastone, Kundalini and 4 others like this.
  12. Sgt. Abbey Road

:unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh:

Brian Lux and Mr-Beagle like this.
  13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Tell them no, it’s actually Sgt. Pepper’s.

22 ziggies, ARK, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's not much positivity in your posts. What music do you like?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  15. Sgt. Abbey Road

Maybe Stockhausen?
    :D

P.S. Don’t get me wrong: I like avant-garde music from artists like Ligeti or Stockhausen:)

16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Not sure what is going on here. Why is it a struggle to respond nicely? Though I agree any use of the word "overrated" is annoying. My response is that personally I agree with the rating. What rating? Well, since you ask...

Tim

17. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

**** *** you ****** ****??

Mechanical Man likes this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I've heard it described as overrated lots of times... and I mean lots.

19. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

So many people clearly hate it, maybe we need to consider the possibility that it's an underrated record?

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Hear them out and listen to see if they have a logical basis for their distaste.

Listening should always be a learning process for all.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Any album that is routinely described as The Greatest Album Ever Made is going to get called overrated a lot - be it, Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper, What's Going On, whatever - I'd say it goes with the territory. There are going to be a lot more people who don't think a particular album is the greatest album of all time than those who do, ergo ...

22. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Remind the individual (and perhaps yourself) that music appreciation by its very nature is a highly subjective thing. One person's "overrated" is another person's "underrated" and vice versa.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In order to think it's brilliant, there has to be something you really like--or as you say, respect--about it. One doesn't respect a quality that one doesn't care for. You don't say, "I dislike quality x. This album has quality x. But I respect that. It's brilliant."

When we like or dislike something, or respect versus do not respect it, it's not just a simple, single toggle switch and that's it. What's really going on, whether it's something we're conscious of or not, is that we're evaluating and weighting various aspects of it. So there can easily be something that we don't like overall, but where we do like or respect various aspects of it. We just don't like enough aspects that we put enough weight on to like it overall.

So someone knocking Pet Sounds that much probably doesn't like many aspects of it and/or doesn't weight they aspects they like very heavily, especially relative to its reputation/general standing.

Bluesman Mark and jacden like this.
  24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

As someone whose tastes often veer away from the norm, I'm very used to people trashing stuff I love and I'm very used to not really caring for stuff that others love/not really getting why others put it on a pedestal relative to other stuff.

What I get more of an amused kick out of is people who (at least seem to) think that their preferences aren't just preferences but facts, so that you can get this stuff right or wrong, or so that it somehow reflects on your intelligence, perceptual abilities, etc. Sometimes it goes hand in hand with a general attitude that one should conform to norms (just because they're norms, I suppose), which certainly gets a laugh out of me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Amnion, starduster, jacden and 2 others like this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Same here and Sgt Pepper. There was a time in the 70s when Pepper was top of any greatest album of all time poll and Pet Sounds I am pretty sure was often near the top. However general consensus on stuff changes over time. I am not sure about Pet Sounds but certainly amongst my music mates Revolver gets the nod for best fab four album.

EdogawaRampo and ARK like this.