Were The Lovin' Spoonful the US equivalent of The Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lord Rocker, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

In that they were musically somewhat apart from other bands at the time having a very individual take on 60's pop and lyrically didn't rely on the usual clichés. Both bands songs had a wry, mature outlook on life/lives. Both bands are known for their hit singles as opposed to LPs. I'm sure they more common attributes.

I wonder of they influenced each other?

ajsmith likes this.
  2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I like The Lovin’ Spoonful but they are nowhere near the same league as The Kinks. So my answer would be no.

3. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

Did those Lovers not get Ray to produce one of their albums. ?

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Lovin Spoonful are fine but comparing them with the Kinks........well, just no, just no.

Aftermath, Chazzbo13, Shawn and 11 others like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nope. That was the Turtles, who I think are more of a US Kinks.

6. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Apples and oranges. I would call the Kinks a cerebral rock band; very reflective and observational lyrics mixed with British folk melodies ( at the beginning more American r&b and rock n roll. To me, lovin spoonful was a nice pop band with some interesting and varied singles (Nashville cats is marvelous).

joy stinson likes this.
  7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I agree, the Spoonful are way better than the Kinks

I think any resemblance is coincidental. The Spoonful basically had three sets of influences: acoustic jug-band and country blues, and girl group pop and novelty records. Their music is a completely original fusion of those, electrified. John Sebastian's writing used a lot of cliches, it was just cliches of acoustic blues, which are largely unfamiliar to the general pop audience even today.

There are also some indications particularly after their first album that the Spoonful were aiming for a folk-pop sound influenced by the Mamas & Papas and the Byrds.

I don't really perceive a similarity tbh.

BrentB, Dwight Fry and Vinyl Socks like this.
  8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Love both bands, but the Spoonful were only around for three years. I think there is some resemblance, by the way.

ajsmith, Man at C&A and Uuan like this.
  9. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

10. Lord Rocker

It's not really about their similarities in regards their music sounding similar. It's more about their individuality at a time when most bands were stylistically quite linear. Both bands had a confidence to play around with genres and pull it off. The Lovin Spoonful rocked out just effectively as The Kinks too.

Lyrically the Kinks portrayed elements of British life in a way that no other band was doing at the time and I think John Sebastian wrote about aspects of American life in a way that few other US bands did during the 60s.

11. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

The Kinks were well known for their albums

JMR, palisantrancho, Zeki and 4 others like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don’t really see a comparison between the two bands, but I’ll mention that many English bands liked the Lovin’ Spoonful including the Kinks.

They had an influence, possibly because like @Maggie mentioned, their stylistic
    choices were a little different than the English band typical influences.

And… The Spoonful didn’t sound like they were aping the British Invasion style.

13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here. The Spoonful were a wonderful band but nowhere near the Kinks.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Spoonful are surely one of the most underrated American pop bands of the era. But they're nothing like The Kinks.

15. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

I love The Lovin' Spoonful, they had a brilliant run of great singles and "Hums" is one of my favourite albums of the 60s but The Kinks are one of the 20 greatest rock bands of all time.

joy stinson, bumbletort, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The Lovin Spoonful were a charming band but The Kinks are in another league. Not comparable

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Nor were the Spoonful anywhere near as good as The Turtles.

18. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

I'm sure that you and a few other posters like them better, but some of us would, perhaps rightly, call this crazytalk :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

No way

There weren't even the US equivalent of The Searchers.

Regandron, palisantrancho and Fred1 like this.
  20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I like all three bands, so these comparisons are making me queasy.

bumbletort, ajsmith, BrentB and 2 others like this.
  21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I like them all too. It's great we don't really have to choose and can play them whenever we want.

Jonny W and Dandelion1967 like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Possibly not even the US equivalent of The Deviants.

23. Lord Rocker

Not sure why this has turned into a band being 'better' than other band. It's about the shared qualities of just 2 bands. Did they share similar qualities in comparison to the majority of bands of the time?

funhouse, scottc1963 and Vangro like this.
  24. Lord Rocker

Exactly! The Kinks from 65 onwards also were not aping US R&B, Elvis, Everly Bros, Dylan etc in the way that so many UK acts still were. I think both bands music has aged better because of this. I think it's easy to dismiss The Lovin Spoonful as lightweight but there's a similar grittiness to their music as The Kinks.

25. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

you might be thinking of the turtles' ray produced album "turtle soup"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.