The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Here's a quote from John Gosling about the dynamics of the recording studio at that time.

Can you give us an insight of what it was like in the studio?

JG : Recording sessions in the early part of the Seventies were more concise. We would convene at Morgan Studios in Willesden and Ray might start strumming a chord sequence and maybe try out fragments of vocal. We would gradually join in once we got the ‘feel’. Dave would usually have his songs complete by the time we eventually recorded them. It was a fun and creative time for all of us.
    Once Konk was operational things seemed to change, and Ray rarely seemed happy with anything. We took forever over every track until we eventually ran out of ideas. Sitting through endless overdubs and remixing sessions became terminally boring. I still think we should have had an independent producer.

2. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

“You Don’t Know My Name” – I’ve grown to like this quite a bit. Call me shallow, but a good hook goes a long way with me, and the “does anybody know my name?” line meets the criteria. Dave makes worthwhile use of the tiny portion of the spotlight Ray allowed him (although from the discussion here, perhaps he wasn't overflowing in songs around this time?).

With Dave songwriting sightings becoming a rare occurrence, I find myself wishing he would have done this in a more aggressive fashion, but his harder-edged guitar sound has gone largely MIA since Lola Vs Powerman (Dave would of course make up for this in spades and axes after travelling on this road several more years, and we do get a taste on the live disc). Instead, we get Canned Heat flute, which is at least a different flavor for the album.

Dave is bemoaning the loneliness, and the inability to cultivate any real relationships, while he is forever quickly moving on down the road, a subject Ray also touched upon. It expresses the irony of the entertainer being seen and cheered by thousands of people, but not truly being known by any of them. And @All Down The Line brings up the excellent point that he probably felt/feels forever overshadowed by his older brother with the better-known name. I find it fun that he mentions a (real?) incident from the ’69 tour, delivered with a touch of humor that hasn’t typically shown up in his songs. A keeper.

3. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Second good song in a row.

Shame I had to wait for the second side to start appreciating this album.

4. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Thanks for the quote, @LX200GPS. I have been soaking up the excellent book Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer's Life in Music and was just last night reading him talk about how recording albums in "home" studios - vs. creating, experimenting, demoing, etc - always leads to less productivity due to doodling, over-perfectionism, etc because there is unlimited time, less outside discipline, and more extracurricular distractions and substances. Templeman is writing specifically about Van Halen moving to Eddie Van Halen's 5150 home studio to record 1984 and the resulting wrangle to get Eddie to finish the album and deliver the master. It sounds like the Kinks "home" studio Konk is another good example, as is the Beach Boys studio that was built in Brian Wilson's house after the collapse of SMiLE (though they did do some mighty fine work there with engineer Stephen Desper).

FWIW, I agree with Gosling about an independent producer for the Kinks, at least from time to time. But The Kinks were Ray's baby.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  5. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I think that you're right in the
    Although ironically enough, Dave's first two solo albums came out on RCA, a few years after the Kinks left them for Arista

6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"You Don't Know My Name"

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but others have mentioned it as well. Out of all the Faces/Rod Stewart comparisons we have made, this one may be the strongest. The vocal, the drums, and the guitar sound are straight out of Gasoline Alley. The only difference is maybe the flute replacing what would have most likely been an Ian McLagan organ part. This could have been a hit for Rod or at least a very well loved song in his early discography. Dave doesn't get the same amount of recognition for his excellent contributions like this one. If this was recorded so early I also bet it was a contender for Muswell Hillbillies. He can't even get any respect from his own band! It's hard to believe this is his last composition on a Kinks album for awhile. His next song isn't until Misfits? He does take lead vocal on "Here Comes Flash" but it's somewhat shared with Ray. With this song he leaves Kinks fans wanting more. Good song Dave!

7. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

8. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Motorway
    Not the worst in the world, perhaps a bit mixed up geographically, what with the Americans not calling them motorways, but either way, we've probably had the experience of motorway food somewhere along the way! (although here in the UK Jive, there's some excellent motorway stops nowadays). It's actually quite a good singalong. It's not in the 'great' or even 'very good' categories for me on this album.

You Don't Know My Name
    One of my favourites on the album (in my top four songs on it). Perhaps its because it seems like its been a while since we've had a Dave sing and a song. (and an even longer wait to the next one). It lifts the album and gets us away from Ray and his food (and his horns). Glad its on the album, but would not have minded it being part of a second (if the first had also been released!) Dave solo album, as he was doing a reasonable amount of solo recordings in this part of the early 70s, as evidenced on 'Decade'. I wonder how his career would have been looked back on if there had been solo albums in perhaps 69 and 73 alongside The Kinks albums.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  9. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Maybe I'd appreciate the album more too it the sides were swapped around. I have the same feelings with 'Muswell Hillbillies'. I far prefer side two.

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

11. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Great woik pretty much all 'round here for the last few songs. I've had a few health-related problems (not covid, fortunately) the last few weeks and haven't been able to comment much. Don't mix morphine and Guinness, buoys n gals. Not great for any form of lucid thought process. But hey, it kills the pain :D

Just wanted to drop by to tell ya that the Loving Spoonful is miles better than the Kinks according to the forum. It os best not to venture too far off this thread. Have a wonderful evening all.

P.S. To the naysayers: Dave was a great songwriter. And his sideburns were mighty fine as well.

12. palisantrancho

ha ha, It can be rough out there. Tread lightly.

13. palisantrancho

That thread starter also claims you could argue that The Kinks only had three decent albums. Oh boy!

I do prefer to stay in the good company and comfort of all you Kinky folks.

14. DISKOJOE

That's crazy talk. Everyone knows that the Kinks had four decent albums :D

Just kidding but jeez, some of the other threads make me shake my head.

15. DISKOJOE

I just would like to take the time to wish all the US Avids here a Very Happy Thanksgiving Day & may all of you have a great time w/your families & have have plenty of great food (no Cheese Whiz!). I also wish our non-US Avids a great day. We're thankful for your insights & contributions here in this thread & I wish you can all join us, there's room at the table & there's no Cheese Whiz! To celebrate, here's Ray performing "Thanksgiving Day" live on Cohan O'Brien's show in 2005:

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Indeed, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone for tomorrow....

Is everyone happy for me to post another song tomorrow?

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I am!

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Ok then it looks like business as usual...
    It may not be 4am.... just sayin' :)

19. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I am down. I wrote my whole week of reviews in advance knowing I was traveling. Bring on the Supersonic Rocket Ship whenever you are ready!

20. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

This is Ray’s handwritten lyric and can be found in the excellent book ‘Isle of Noises’ by Daniel Rachel.

21. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Directed by Kinks admirer Julien Temple...

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I can't link to it but there is a great online piece about the '66 Spanish fiasco with some visuals) told in Ray's words to the NME or some such musical paper.
    N.b. The you tube channel is a really committed guy using the name Yesterday's Paper/s and is absolutely worth book marking for those interested in 60's rock!

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  23. All Down The Line

Thanks, I hadn't got this far and had just posted about this link so am glad it has been provided for all the Avids!

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  24. All Down The Line

If a third was a medical journal please do not reference it!

DISKOJOE, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  25. All Down The Line

I thought we discovered that Dave was quite content if not relieved that a solo album did not come out circa 1969-'70?