Advice on…a Chair

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnthonyCM, Nov 24, 2021.

1. AnthonyCM

AnthonyCM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay, so I just moved into a new house today. Because it’s a bit oversized, I’m fortunate to have a room dedicated to only music. It’s a very small room (7’x14’), but that’s more than enough for my set-up and a pair of headphones.

But apparently the room (or hallway, rather) isn’t big enough to get my comfy recliner into.

So, I agonized for weeks on the perfect system for the house. Needing a chair throws a wrench into things.

I need a chair. Doesn’t have to be a full recliner, but I’d like to lean back and pop my feet up a bit. Could be a stool or ottoman.

What are your chairs of choice for listening and just ignoring the rest of the world? Budget? Maybe $1,000.

Thanks!

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

The style that gives you a bit of a recline built-in is called a club chair. Example.

[​IMG]

Somewhere between Target $400 and Restoration Hardware $3000 is Pottery Barn, they have a recliner style with ship 1-3 weeks, while others are made-to-order, 4+ months. Some are confusingly listed as on display at the local store but you can't buy those ones online for "now" pickup.

[​IMG]

longdist01, shokhead, CoryG85 and 3 others like this.
  3. harby

harby Forum Resident

Must be major supply issues all around if you even want to sit down. Order now for March delivery:
    [​IMG]

longdist01, chili555, fish and 3 others like this.
  4. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

M1ke2345, longdist01, Monroro and 7 others like this.
  5. effula

effula Forum Resident

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

Let me be the first to offer the Poang with ottoman from Ikea. I can sit in mine for hours without any discomfort.
    [​IMG]

7. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

i'm going to also go ahead and recommend Ekornes.
    i found a pre-owned one on Craigslist and i believe it was ~$800
    you can find them on Ebay too - good luck!

8. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

9. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I am using one of these comfy dining chairs on WHEELS. It has several advantages, like you can slightly adjust your listening position depending on the recording and you can roll it aside, if not used.

10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I see the Maxell-chair, which is a classic Le Corbusier, recommended here as a 'recliner'...I suppose these people never saw one in real life, let alone sat in one. That Le Corbusier is NO recliner and is only comfortable sitting straight up.

11. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

12. somnar

somnar Senior Member

LOL, this could get way more drawn out than any turntable or speaker buying project...

I'd head out to Ikea Red Hook and see if there's anything that works for you. Lots of comfortable options at very good prices.

longdist01 and timind like this.
  13. harby

harby Forum Resident

Yeah, it's more like contract furniture for a waiting room. They usually come with the cushion.

bever70 likes this.
  14. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

minimal effect on room.

timind likes this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

What you need, I gather, is something without bulky, space-hogging oversized arms. I used to have IKEA chairs that looked a lot like this, and I liked them:

[​IMG]

They were comfortable and worked well. The pictured one is similar to what I had, not the same (so can't vouch from personal experience), from an online outfit called Wayfair: 27.25'' Wide Manual Swivel Standard Recliner with Ottoman $187 including shipping. I've ordered furniture there before and have been pleased with the prices and the service.

My preferred rump parking spot is a recliner model that first entered my life when my parents bought one, clad in stylish black Naugahyde, in the late '60s or early '70s. Since then, I've lucked into a couple in thrift stores, and I have one as "my" spot in the living room and one in the "sweet spot" of the music room. Unfortunately, the maker's name tag is long gone (both are reupholstered by this point), and you'd find one only by serendipity in any event.

Anyhow, good luck!

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

You do realize that you've just incited a virulent debate between the adherents of digital (CD) vs. analogue (vinyl) seating?

longdist01 and RockAddict like this.
  17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Stressless chairs are very high quality product, very durable and extremely comfortable. I bought one just before the pandemic, one of the best purchases I ever made.

[​IMG]

18. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

My first thought seeing that you are in Brooklyn would be to hit some sort of local furniture consignment outlet or possibly a thrift store. I have found some pretty nice furniture that way. Local.

A Key tip, It has to present as near new- whatever it is. No Stains, No Odors. No Breakage that needs attention.

No Muss, No Fuss.

longdist01 and John3655 like this.
  19. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

An outside-the-box suggestion (within budget):
    The best gaming chairs | Secretlab US

Secret Lab chair. Aimed at gamers, it's super adjustable to provide max comfort for long seated sessions. 3 different sizes and several options for fabric and colour. On my list to try.

20. fish

fish Senior Member

It cant have a high back.
    The Eames Chair Replicas dont have a high back and are really comfortable!

[​IMG]

longdist01, woody, AnthonyCM and 5 others like this.
  21. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

This chair solves all space issues. Even Stevie likes it !
    [​IMG]

22. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Womb Chair by Knoll
    Designed by Eero Saarinen, 1948

23. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Not to mention the question of whether cables impact comfort...

longdist01 and drh like this.
  24. harby

harby Forum Resident

Funny, wooly chair above went up $100 in 24 hours but now says delivery by January.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Gorgeous and womb is a very comforting name. ;)

longdist01 likes this.