The Lost Version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles | A Docu-Mini

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Sure go ahead, censor the rental car scene...might as well remove the last 15 minutes of 2001 A Space Odyssey :D

Too bad Candy is no longer with us

Instant Dharma and Shawn like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The rental car scene is great. But it's the only non PG element in the whole film. Take it out, and it's truly a family film. So I can understand taking it out and broadening the viewership.

Luke The Drifter, 64FALCON and Scowl like this.
  3. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

It's there, but a version filmed with no F-bombs.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. Do they bleep them, blank them, or replace them?

5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

The blu ray is really cheap. You get that and you get all yer f-bombs

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It's replaced with alternate takes I believe. Her last line just skips to her laughing.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's the alternate no f words version of the scene.

It has been severely neutered. And the laugh at the end makes no sense. But at least it's family friendly:

LouChang likes this.
  8. LouChang

Yeah it's weird, but Steve Martin tries to make up for the lack of F----ng's with a growling delivery.
    I have the DVD somewhere but I misplaced it while moving earlier this year.

AMC is airing it again Thanksgiving Day at 12n EST, Saturday at 5pm EST and several more times into December.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Boomy likes this.
  9. LouChang

Apparently AMC isn't airing the movie at noon today, but it's still on their schedule for Saturday evening. Here's a video I found.

A 20-something cutie watches the movie for the first time. She has a good sense of humor. (It's also amusing that she thinks the El Rancho motel room would have a minibar, and that John Candy died "recently.")

I love that this movie can resonate with people across the decades and generations, as great movies do.

10. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I think it’s staying power is pretty damn good. Has great comedy and drama.

A lot of young people will never understand the concept of having to wait in a line to use a phone, however :0

longdist01 and LouChang like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

mmars982 likes this.
  13. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Dumb technical question, but will there be a standard playing Blu-ray version as well?

I must see this, but I only own a standard BD player. I still haven't made the jump to 4k. Do I really have to go out and spend money on a new piece of hardware?

14. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

There must have been multiple versions released then, because I clearly remember that scene being part of the film.

15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Most likely yes, it's pretty standard for new releases to include the 4K UHD disc, a standard Blu Ray covering 1080P and a digital copy.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's been some 4k only releases like the Outsiders or Last Action Hero. Some 4k bundled packages only include the OLD mastering on blu-ray.

Breakfast Club Criterion has some Hughes estate bonus stuff. VHS sourced dailies edited together. No work print and missing a key deleted scene likely held back for the future.

If they want me to go 4k or code instead of giving me a blu ray then I simply refuse to purchase.

64FALCON likes this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Sadly I I'm going waste money on this.. being the 4k niche market no thanks

18. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Thank you for the info. I will take a chance on the 4K pre-order.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]

I see no evidence the new movie mastering is available on blu-Ray.

mmars982 likes this.
  20. If there isn’t a Blu-Ray disc included one could still purchase this set for the download code and watch it that way. Not ideal for everyone I know but it is an option. And that’s assuming there won’t be a Blu-Ray (non-4K).

21. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

According to The Digital Bits there will be a blu-ray disc that includes the bonus material but it doesn't say if the blu-ray includes the remastered movie:

"It will include over an hour of never-before-seen deleted and extended scenes on a Lost Luggage bonus Blu-ray Disc!"

22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

It would be great if those extra scenes were incorporated in to the movie, but perhaps the footage is in less-than-stellar condition and the 'look' would be jarring between the newly-incorporated footage and the re-mastered film.

Shucks, I still have the ex-rental Paramount VHS tape I bought used in 1988 when my local video store was selling off some of its many copies. It was in a cut/box from "Video-X-Tron" in Lake Worth, FL. (Years later I obtained a pristine video box for my tape and stuffed the videocassette in there).

Remember when rental stores used to carry a shedload of tapes of popular titles when they first came out on video? Then after the initial 'renting frenzy' wore off the stores would sell off all but one or two copies they'd keep on the shelves for rental. The later DVD's were no better than the tape I had; I think 1 of the disc releases had the deleted "Airplane Food Scene" and that was it for extra footage. I could find that "TV Only" scene on YouTube so no reason to buy the disc just for that. I'll 'Double-Dip' if there's a reason, but one bonus scene is not enough.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Waiting for her to listen to a Fleetwood Mac song that "she has never heard before" and exclaim "Whoa!" periodically.

LouChang likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Since they are separate discs, I wonder if the bonus disc is a standard blu-ray and only the movie itself will be Ultra HD.

25. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Easily one of my favorite movies of all time. The pacing, the writing, Candy’s acting, all incredible. Really looking forward to this, instant buy.