Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Marilyn Manson, who faces numerous lawsuits over sexual assault allegations, is nominated for this year's Grammy Awards. Manson received two nods for his contributions to Kanye West's Donda in the categories of Best Album and Best Rap Song for "Jail" ft. Jay-Z.

The CEO of The Recording Academy, Harvey Mason Jr., responded to the backlash in an interview with The Wrap where he stated that personal history isn't considered when voting for the nominations.

"We won't restrict the people who can submit their material for consideration," Mason Jr. said. "We won’t look back at people’s history, we won’t look at their criminal record, we won’t look at anything other than the legality within our rules of, is this recording for this work eligible based on date and other criteria."

Nominations aside, Mason Jr. said that the Recording Academy will be cautious surrounding those they decide to invite to the actual ceremony.

"What we will control is our stages, our shows, our events, our red carpets," he said. "We’ll take a look at anyone who is asking to be a part of that, asking to be in attendance, and we’ll make our decisions at that point. But we’re not going to be in the business of restricting people from submitting their work for our voters to decide on.”

The song in question.

Big Blue and punkmusick like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I guess the question is: Are they awarding the best music, or the best music made by PC musicians?

3. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Where's Gary Glitter?

Biscuit Warehouse likes this.
  4. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Refraining from sexual assault is being PC now?

cwd, GrayMouser, Ste_S and 37 others like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He was accused of something. I have no idea if it's true. I won't defend him, and I don't care about his music, but it seems to me that if you ban his music based on accusations alone, then, yeah, you're bending over to be PC.

6. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Chris Brown and Louis CK have Grammy nominations this year, too. Glen Campbell was honored on a ceremony a few years ago. Mistreating, assaulting, and abusing women has never been disqualifier for a Grammy award.

Big Blue, Trainwrecker, drift and 4 others like this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

#TimesUp

testingcan likes this.
  8. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Banning his music and celebrating his music aren’t the same thing. But as I posted above, it’s never been a disqualifier for getting a Grammy. If there really was such a thing as a PC police, they’ve never been funded or empowered to do much of anything. But that’s just a straw man. This thread, after all, is about the fact that he got a Grammy nomination, not that he was banned from getting one.

Big Blue, Dischord, Andrew J and 6 others like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this thread is destined for great things!

Tommyboy, Murph, nosticker and 21 others like this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

If we took awards away from everyone who hasn't lived a saintly life, there'd pretty much be nobody in the Hall Of Fame or with Grammys in hand. Celebrate the music, not the musician no different than Phil Spector died in prison for murder but nobody has ever taken away his contributions to the world of music.

Anyone who was looking to Marilyn Manson as an example of moral righteousness has obviously not been alive in the last 25 years. He's never been a hypocrite about himself. This isn't like how people saw Bill Cosby for instance as a role model because he propped himself up as one.

johnod and Mr. Heartbreak like this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

btw, Chris Brown got nominated for Grammys this year, but that's okay because his adoring stanbase will always make excuses for a man who beat up his high profile then-girlfriend, has been accused of rape, accused of gaybashing and accused of gang affiliation, as well as siking his fans to send rape threats against the lead singer of CHVRCHES... but it's okay as long as you look cute like Chris Brown and less a freakshow like Marilyn Manson to continue to be rewarded

Strat-Mangler, krock2009 and Gregalor like this.
  12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

well why single Manson out when a p.o.s. like Chris Brown is also nominated for his association with the same album? The fact that Chris has eluded cancelation after EVERYTHING is a mystery, especially when you look at how quickly Ryan Adams' audience turned cold on him for being accused of less.

JoeF., Trainwrecker and DTK like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and this is surprising?

14. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Disclosure - I couldn't care less about awards, Kanye West or Marilyn Manson, but unless I'm mistaken, these are two very misleading sentences. Marilyn Manson wasn't nominated for anything. He appears on an album and a song that were nominated.

Strat-Mangler, krock2009, boe and 4 others like this.
  15. Penny24

Good looks (before drugs destroyed that), industry backing and catchy songs saved him.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True, but Manson had some good stuff in the 90s, Ryan Adams has put out some excellent stuff in his time too.... but that wasn't enough to save them when bad accusations came out. The funny thing is that Ryan essentially had his audience turn on him when Mandy Moore essentially said he's a narcissistic d-bag to be married to... you could've read any given interview the guy has given in the past 20 years and got the vibe he's a self-important prick who'd probably be a nightmare to be around, and not someone you'd want to marry. Yet AAA/NPR (his target base) dropped him while still playing Morrissey and I saw used bins flooded with his albums immediately afterwards.

I dunno, what disgusts me about Brown is the majority of his defenders are women. I've seen "Rihanna was asking for it" and "I'd treat him better" type of posts. The guy is cute (or at least was back then), but he's not THAT cute to really be that warped. I would have no problem if the Rihanna incident had been a one-off and he spent years atoning and trying to turn his image around, but it was almost like he was relieved that he no longer had to play the wholesome teen heartthrob afterwards and saw it as a segue into a "bad boy" image.

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Louis CK is also nominated for a Grammy. Between him, Chris Brown, and Manson, this is just another reminder that cancel culture isn’t a real thing and powerful men can get away with anything.

18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I feel like Louis CK was another thing. Louis discussed this in his stand-up long before it came to light in the post-Weinstein world and it was part of his act long before he was getting voice roles in Disney cartoons. I was never a fan of him but I do think being a pervert asking permission to do what he did is different than what Manson and Brown have been alleged to do. He's done his time in "Hollywood jail" or whatever you want to call it. Kind of like how Mel Gibson eventually started getting work again too

19. Penny24

Ryan Adams fanbase must've been fairweather because that's such a tiny reason to stop supporting your "fav". It's also a different time and people are far more sensitive when it comes to any type of abuse towards women, as they should be. However, back in the day, if your music was good enough people would just look the other way (R. Kelly being a prime example) and your career would at least stay afloat. Very true. My ex used to defend him as well and put the blame on Rihanna, even going as far as to say that rihanna gave him a STD" and "she turned him out", which were both untrue. It must've been attraction because it sure as hell wasn't his cookie cutter music, now that I think about it.

DTK likes this.
  20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

“Asking permission” is a loaded thing when he’s a famous comedian with a lot of influence. He had the ability to make or break careers. He used that level of power to his advantage even if he technically asked first. It’s not the same predatory behavior as Manson or Brown but it’s still predatory

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Makes me want to spin "Crest Of A Knave" by Jethro Tull like it was 1989 all over again. :whistle:

ARK, Zep Fan, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  22. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Neither.

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

and this isn’t surprising at all, but so many of the rap nominees are super weak. Did “Jail” even make any kind of impact this year outside of the controversy re: Manson? Maybe it’s just the people I talk to and follow on social media but Donda seemed like it was forgotten 2 weeks after it came out

24. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

What I found hilarious about the Ryan Adams thing is that AAA radio dropped him like the plague after we found out he's a narcissist towards women (again, any interview he gave up to that point didn't make him a sympathetic guy) yet continue to support Morrissey despite all the bat**** racist things that come out of his mouth and his association with hate groups and everything. I think what Moz has done in recent years is worse (and I won't even listen to classic Smiths music now) than Ryan Adams being a d-bag who is up his own ass and treats others, including women, as beneath him. But that's just me. I'm not even a huge RA fan, but I liked certain tracks, and I actually loved the song he wrote about his breakup about Mandy, though hearing her side of the story did change things a bit, but it wasn't like the guy raped or beat someone

Trainwrecker, Lazerize and Penny24 like this.
  25. Penny24

Donda was beloved by music nerds and was talked about but mostly for the crazy rollout and singles like Hurricane and the ironic tik tok hit "Praise God". In fact, I haven't seen this much hype for a Kanye project since Yeezus, and we all know how that turned out lol

Jmac1979 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.