Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, I wonder if R. Kelly or Bill Cosby will ever come up for a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Penny24 likes this.
  2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

“Somebody told me they thought the worst thing about Bill Cosby was the hypocrisy.
    I said, no it wasn’t. The worst thing was the raping!”
    Norm McDonald

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think most popular music these days is forgotten 2 weeks after it comes out. Streaming has turned the industry far more disposable than I could have ever imagined. First streaming killed the album, now it just kills.

Flame away.

Panama Hotel and fluxkit like this.
  4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I mostly hang out with music nerds though! The biggest Kanye fans I know have written him off by now.

5. Grant

Sigh.:sigh: I worry a tad less about the actual artists and more about the fans who support them. Why? The artists are lousy people for what they say or do, but when fans support them, it tells me that they don't care about humanity, and how what their heroes affect others.

6. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe it's an generational gap. His older fans still cling onto the college bear stuff he did back in the day and want him to return to chipmunk soul, but those around me, including myself enjoyed his work when he became more eccentric and darker.

7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

lol that’s what I first thought this thread was about.

Neonbeam and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

it seems like most people have put aside their disgust of Kanye the man (the Kardashian association, the narcissism, the political views that alienate much of his base, etc...) and look at him from an artistic standpoint. His albums are largely still anticipated events and Donda got great reviews and was his best-received album in years.

9. Grant

I don't know any hard-core Kanye West (Ye) fans. It's hard to write him off only because it's public knowledge that he's mentally ill and doesn't consistently take his meds. Kanye West's politics and recent comments are pretty disgusting, IMO, but, he hasn't hit or raped anyone.

On the other hand, some artists are just evil. They are racist, sexist, homophobic, and violent.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  10. Grant

OK, Chris Brown sucker-punched Rihanna once in his car. That was only once. He has changed. Other artists have also hit their spouses like the late, great Lou Rawls, and more recently Paul Simon, and Donald Fagan. No one is cancelling them out. Are people going to cancel out Chris Brown for one incident forever? Rihanna forgave him. That should end it.

Penny24 likes this.
  11. Penny24

It's impossible to be that big of an artist without a dedicated fanbase. Yeah, I believe he suffers from Bioplar disorder and Schizophrenia.

Grant likes this.
  12. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s entirely possible it’s a generational thing. I got into him late, with Yeezus. The 808s through Yeezus years are his peak to me. TLOP was uneven but had some real high points and since then he’s been pretty uninteresting. Some good production at times (especially on the Pusha T and Teyana Taylor records a few years back) but his own records sound like he throws them together at the last min. TLOP is the end of his imperial phase for most folks I know. But I don’t know where he stands with folks under 30 or so

Penny24 likes this.
  13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

He sucker punched Rihanna once....
    then he was accused of rape
    then he was accused of gaybashing
    then he was accused of being affiliated with a gang
    then he pretty much siked his troll fans online to start sending rape threats against the lead singer of CHVRCHES to where they had to hire security during concerts for a tour because the lead singer made comments.

Chris is not some little virginal good guy who screwed up once in 2009. He's been a walking timebomb ever since but gets forgiven because "omg he's so cute". He is no better than Marilyn Manson as a human being and if he didn't have looks he would've been dropped and banished a long time ago. The industry only still sticks with him because he still has hits. Give him another ten years and he'll be treated no better than R. Kelly, who was also constantly forgiven and getting umpteenth chances back when he was profitable and only got what was coming to him once he aged out of making hits.

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Chris Brown has been unrepentantly terrible for a decade or more now. Kanye keeps working with him, too, which is baffling to me. There are a million singers that can do what Chris Brown does. There’s nothing unique or interesting about Brown’s voice. The Manson collab seems like a very deliberate controversy move. It’s dumb and I completely disagree with the point he’s making, but I get the angle he’s playing. Kanye working with Chris Brown over and over again is even more disappointing.

15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Ummm.... how much have you been keeping up with Chris? This is from this year and not the only news like this since the Rihanna stuff went down

Chris Brown accused of hitting woman in Los Angeles, police say

Fischman and Jmac1979 like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

exactly. I'm wondering where the narrative that Chris was repentant and redeemed himself and has been on good behavior over the last decade comes from. Chris literally took the Rihanna event and reinvented his image into a "bad boy", its like he was proud because he no longer had to play the wholesome cute boy next door that he was marketed as in his teen years. Chris is as garbage as R. Kelly and Marilyn Manson in my opinion.

17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Meanwhile, the Grammy's bask in free publicity and guarantee themselves a ratings boost.

18. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

David Bowie won exactly 1 grammy in his lifetime. For a music video. For "Blue Jean." That says everything I need to know about this awards banquet. Why would I bother caring about them?

cwd, krock2009, April Snow and 6 others like this.
  19. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

No it’s not a mystery. We all no why.

20. Penny24

TLOP is one of my favorites, but that's because of how chaotic and unpredictable it is. It matched his behavior right before he checked himself into the psychiatric ward that year. The whole "living breathing art" thing with the album updates and patches (before it became a thing) was fresh and innovative. I like the eerie atmosphere of TLOP but I think his rapping took a major hit. I know the focal point of his music is production and features, but some of the lyrics killed songs for me like the sandwich line in "Wolves", for example. With that being said, give TLOP a relisten one of these days. It's far different from the OG version you probably heard when the album first dropped. Ask someone under 25 and it'll probably be in their Top 3 Ye albums. Now anything he drops is being compared to that album because for some it was his last moment of greatness, in terms of the whole body of work. It reminds me of the "his best album since Scary Monsters" david bowie meme.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  21. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Please, elucidate us. Why?

ARK likes this.
  22. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

If you are bipolar and in a manic phase, you have a lot of energy and get creative in a chaotic way. It can lead to very expressive and unusual art. Bit like van Gogh who made his sunflower paintings in a few days.
    Still, no fun being bipolar. My ex suffered from it, and it was hard for herself and the people who cared for her.

ARK, Grant and Penny24 like this.
  23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Oh, I kept up with all the TLOP updates :laugh: it was pretty fascinating to hear him update the record in real time. I still think “ultralight beam” is one of his greatest songs. But I think he messed with some songs too much. Like “wolves” was definitely better without his verse and that sandwich lyric. And “highlights” had a whole extra verse and different beat in a leaked demo that I like way more than the album. That record was flailing but focused. It felt like he lost his focus after that.

Penny24 likes this.
  24. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Neither

25. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Guess I should actually read the thread before posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.