Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I think you got my point wrong! I don’t meant a story about a murderer like „Maxwell‘s Silver Hammer“. Many rappers who sing about violence against women hit their own wives! Leni Riefenstahl would be a better example for my opinion. The movies are great from an artistic point of view, but she unfortunately supported the Nazi propaganda with her movies heavily. She glossed over the atrocities done by the Nazis with her films!

KJTC likes this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Jay-Z, who once pleaded guilty to assault after stabbing someone with a knife in a nightclub, has won 23 Grammys. I am pretty sure they do not care what an artist does in their personal life, good or bad.

klockwerk, fluxkit, Buddybud and 4 others like this.
  3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I never once cared who got the best "anything" as awarded by The Grammys.
    But I did enjoy watching live performances by talented artists like Prince and Michael Jackson.

radickeyfan likes this.
  4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

You didn't answer my question by the way.

I "super care" about people moralizing, whatever the context. What I care about there is what controlling, self-righteous, hasty generalization-loving, usually glass house-residing, hypocritical, judgmental a-holes they are.

I don't find anything offensive, by the way. Getting offended doesn't have any benefits for anything.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, artists that generate a lot of dough aren't cancelled because too many powerful movers and shakers are reliant on them to continue to generate dough. Hence easy targets like Ryan Adams.

Trainwrecker likes this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

but again, why is Manson singled out when he's not the only person accused of heinous things up for awards this year?

7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I don't know if it's race as much as Chris was (and still is) a profitable artist that he makes enough $$$ that the industry turns the other cheek and says we need to overlook it and give him a 461st shot (the whole "he's young!!" thing worked when he was 19, not so much 32 IMO). R. Kelly being a child molester was well known in the mid-90s when he was 27 and married a 15 year old Aaliyah, and then a few years later had a sex tape with him and an underage girl, and many other rumors circulated through the years, and he spent the 90s and 2000s eluding every single one because his albums were big sellers and he had a lot of hit singles. It was only in the past 5 or so years, well after this guy in his 50s had aged out of scoring radio hits, that suddenly everything he did in the past caught up to him. We knew he was a pedophile when he was singing hit songs for animated movies and superhero blockbusters, but back then enough people turned the other cheek just because he was in the prime of his career and making a lot of money for RCA. Once he stopped being a hitmaker, he was immediately ****canned because he wasn't worth as much to them anymore as he was in 1996 or even 2003

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

low hanging fruit

fluxkit, Zep Fan and johnod like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

More and more we see the media reports agendas, not news.... something about this fits their agenda

51IS and Zep Fan like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

and if you award him and it turns out to be true, what are you being?

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

john lennon hit his own wife. #OG

Zep Fan likes this.
  12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I knew that someone would say that! That was very mean by John! Even he understood years later that he acted like an :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad: back then!

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hey, man, if you're gonna complain about musicians hitting their wives don't just single out "rappers". it's not genre or race specific, unfortunately. but one thing they all have in common: they're lowlife scum.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nothing.

The point is: Innocent until proven guilty. And after proven guilty, then you have at least the start of a legitimate conversation about whether you should honor the person solely for their musical achievements, or whether that honor is predicated on clean living.

Sgt. Abbey Road and Jmac1979 like this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

come on you know it's innocent until media assassination

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

the grammys have no legal obligation to honor anyone with anything. they're doing something dumb, but it's par for the course. but hey, at least a certain subset of our culture will get to whine about "cancel culture", "wokeness", and "sjws", and manson's sales will probably shoot through the roof.

yay.

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Exactly. If we're going to go this route, should Ike Turner and Phil Spector have their Hall Of Fame inductions rescinded because they were horrible people?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ike Turner, Phil Spector, John Lennon, the members of Led Zeppelin, Don Henley, Bllly Preston, Rick James, ... the list gets long fast.

Sgt. Abbey Road and Jmac1979 like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that's a great idea. give it time and we'll make it happen.

20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

“clean living” is a weird phrase to use here. In Manson’s case we’re talking about repeated violent assaults and rape. I don’t expect artists to be squeaky clean church boys. Plenty of artists I love are definitely jerks and I wouldn’t want to actually know them. But there’s a pretty big difference between someone being generally nasty or difficult and a violent rapist

Tristero, JulesRules and Kevin j like this.
  21. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

From the spokesman's statement, it seems like they'll nominate him and potentially give him an award, but they'll probably bar him from the actual ceremony.

Seems like a weird way to fence-sit.

ARK and Kevin j like this.
  22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

exactly! if he's good enough for a nom let him sit in the audience.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

true. But what about the witch hunt that happened to Ryan Adams who was merely accused of being an emotionally manipulative ********* and a terrible husband. No violence, no rape, just a narcissist who thinks he's better than everyone, and yet his audience completely turned on him (his 2017 album peaked at #8, the two albums post-cancelation didn't even dent the Billboard top 200) as if what he did was Marilyn Manson/R. Kelly bad, ironic being these same people will still listen to The Smiths despite the things that has come out of Morrissey's mouth in recent years

24. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Or alternatively, if he's not fit to eat your canapes, he's surely not fit to have his name called out on stage.

Kevin j likes this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

oh come on. the audience has a right to choose who they want to support, and for you to build up some strawman argument that everyone who is an adams fan likes the smiths is pretty ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.