How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's not always about needing approval. If someone else attacks a piece of work that you like, it's kind of natural to want to defend it.

davenav and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Of course.

I am McGarrett.

ARK, Fischman and Classic Car Guy like this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

The re-make of that show is not even close to the original. Love it and use to watch it in the early 70's then Kolchak. (Not the "Who Loves You Babieh?")

Jack Lord likes this.
  4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I implored them to use Pet Sounds for an episode or two, but they did not listen.

ARK and Classic Car Guy like this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Nothing is as bad as using "I Got You Babe" in an episode.....:biglaugh:

6. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

It's okay if you don't like Pet Sounds, that's perfectly fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Oh yes, you're also a philistine.

davenav and Mr. Heartbreak like this.
  7. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

1. The people who said not everyone likes every album and that it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing were right on.

2. I’m not a massive fan of the album but I don’t know that I would call it overrated. Maybe over-romanticized and jacked a couple of spots higher on its pedestal because of the “Brian, the tortured and misunderstood genius” back story?

3. Dissing The Beach Boys as a unit is fighting words though, although I wouldn’t waste brain cells debating it.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  8. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Pet Sounds is the most overrated album in the world” seems like something someone might type as provocation. If someone said it to me I’d be concerned about their mental health.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I listened to Pet Sounds once and was not compelled to go out and buy it, or tape it, or own it in any way. As such, it wouldn't grace my top 1000 albums list, as I literally do have 1000's of albums that I was compelled to own a copy of.
    Most given lists of "top" albums will contain some records that I love and some that I don't. I enjoyed listening to the album though. Certainly not an unpleasant experience.

ARK and CHALKERS like this.
  10. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

That’s part of art. If it’s not for you, it’s not. If it is, your life will be enriched beyond words. You can’t explain it make someone FEEL what you do. Diminishing or defending anything about Pet Sounds is pointless. Pet Sounds took me years to more fully appreciate. Even when I hear it today I hear new things and it’s beauty stuns me over and over - hundreds of listens later!

11. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  12. Just say nothing and walk away. Anybody who has heard "God Only Knows", "You Still Believe In Me", "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "Caroline No" and hates it is never going to enjoy the Beach Boys' music. So why bother trying to convince them they're wrong? Some things you like, some things you don't, that's the way it goes.

djost and oldsurferdude like this.
  13. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

My response would be, "No, that would be Thriller."

14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

'That can't be. Grand Funk Railroad has held the undisputed title for most overrated album since the category was established.'

PopularChuck likes this.
  15. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

You cannot talk Somone into enjoying something they don't. And you shouldn't want to.

PRW94 likes this.
  16. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Based on the fact that you've given your permission to "call you crazy", I will take particular pleasure in calling you crazy :wtf:. No harm intended and have a nice Thanksgiving. :tiphat:

ARK and Isaac K. like this.
  17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Q: How can you tell it's a slow week on Hoffman music forums?
    A: When a thread started by Brian Lux on the Beach Boys Pet Sounds runs 18 pages plus.
    :laugh:

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Lol. I can’t help it that Surf City, Dead Man’s Curve, Sidewalk Surfing, and Little Old Lady From Pasadena were all my favorite Beach Boy songs right up until I learned that they weren’t Beach Boys songs. :shrug:

19. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just because I may disagree, that doesn’t mean either of us are wrong”.

simoncm likes this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Not really. “Under-rated” almost always refers to a general lack of awareness. “For the longest time, Pet Sounds was under-rated because of it’s lower sales figures. It was certainly seen that way by Capitol, who quickly rushed out a Greatest Hits album to make up for its low chart action. And this attitude was adopted by various media sources and the public in general. But, over time it’s ranking rose and rose as a new generation discovered it.”

oldsurferdude and Shawn like this.
  21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

You don’t think it’s possible that younger generations might enjoy hearing things that are firmly of previous eras?

I’m a millennial, and I enjoy Pet Sounds, as do plenty of people my age. Probably younger, too.

Brian Lux likes this.
  22. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

“Keep listening, you’ll come around.”

23. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

what is your issue with that particular people?

24. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

I would ask them to list some other albums they find overrated. If they mention other popular albums that are generally held in high regard (Dark Side, Sgt. Pepper, etc.) then I would assume they are saying it just to be contrary.

Big Blue and davenav like this.
  25. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

But if they aren’t held in high regard then they can’t possibly be overrated. Logic 101.