Harry Potter movie is now twenty years old. YIKES!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spencer1, Nov 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good lord it goes by quick.
    Twenty years ago I was a “young” man in my forties rapidly approaching fifty with a couple of our kids still in elementary school and they were under Harry Potter’s spell.
    Books had been read and now there was a film. It was kind of a big deal.

It was a Chris Columbus film. A decade earlier John Hughes and his farm team had kept a roof over my family's heads with work so I was more than happy to plug a couple dollars into Chris’ bank account.

After watching the film with my kids I realized I was not in the Potter demographic. They of course loved it.
    Beautiful to look at, well acted but I felt no connection and no desire to further explore that world.
    It reminded me of my ninety something year old dad watching one of those X-Men movies. I asked him if he was enjoying it and he said, “It’s very exciting but I don’t know what’s going on.”

It also reminded me of when I tried to get my sons to love “The Magnificent Seven”. Wrong demographic. They were too young and raised on more kinetic, flashier film making.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I realize that there is something there and at some point I'll try again.
    Anyway, twenty years gone by in the wink of an eye.

jason88cubs likes this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Probably how I feel about all these comic book movies

3. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

The first two Harry Potter films barely count. The series truly begins in film #3.

4. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I met my now wife in 2002 and we went to see the second film at the cinema together. I sat there for what felt like 5 hours wondering “what is this dross?” absolutely hated it. A year later we go and see Prisoner of Azkaban and I absolutely loved it. Came out of there happier than she was. That third film is such a significant change in tone that it’s so remarkable.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Alfonso Cuarón -- I got no complaints. Still think Prisoner of Azkaban is the best Potter film. My kid will be 10 soon and has been enjoying these films for the past 4-5 years.

autumn daze and LouChang like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

20 years? How could I be so stoooooooooooooopid!?

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nothing to say about the Lord of the Rings movies?

9. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

I enjoyed the movies, but being in my twenties at the time, I had the recurring feeling that I was too old for what I was watching. I no longer felt that way by the end of the third film.

wondergrape likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.