How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Underrated even.

Sgt. Abbey Road, ARK and cwd like this.
  2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Almost always? Bit of an exaggeration. "Pet Sounds" was hardly an unknown album by an obscure band that sold little.

3. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

That I can agree it is somewhat overrated...

and at the same time note I really enjoy and often listen to the era of albums from Pet Sounds to Surfs Up, and they might enjoy them if they give it a chance?

it's a band that's a bit too important to totally write off :D

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Didn’t say it was. PS didn’t get the chart action that a major band was expected to get. It wasn’t until the 70s and publications like Creem who championed it that the general awareness of this album began a long road to the high rank it now holds.

As to “almost always” It’s been my observation that “under-rated” is usually used to refer to a lack of awareness. “Due to its lower sales figures, Pet Sounds was under-rated for years and years.”

Whereas “over-rated” is pretty much always used in a dismissive, negative, arrogant way. “I listened to Pet Sounds once and didn’t get what all the hoopla is about. It’s over-rated.”

7solqs4iago likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That seems pretty harsh. Mental health is a very real and serious problem in 20021, and being concerned about someone's simply because of a difference of opinion on an album seems unkind.

Timos, JosepZ, simoncm and 1 other person like this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Only necessary response:

ARK and Randall DeBouvre like this.
  7. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Would it be possible for the number one rated album of all time (on any given list) not to be overrated according to, say, 75% of music listeners? I mean, is there really a collective agreement amongst the majority of society that Revolver is, in fact, of all albums ever recorded, the de facto greatest album of all time.

I for one don't agree with that.

Therefore, it's necessarily an overrated album, purely by the fact that it topped a list.

ARK, Vangro and Terrapin Station like this.
  8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Exactly. When you are an album that regularly tops lists... you are destined to be regarded by many many people as overrated. Being overrated could still make you a very good album, but that's the price of critical acclaim....

ARK likes this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, but if it seems like they’re just checking the boxes of all the generally-highest-ranked albums, it may be a fair conclusion that they just want to say everything popular is overrated. You can’t tell me you’ve never encountered people like that…

zappinnati likes this.
  10. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

you're from 20021? awesome! we've finally mastered time travel! how does the far-off future feel about Pet Sounds?

ARK likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If 75% of music listeners don’t rate it the best of all time, then it is not rated best of all time.

JosepZ likes this.
  13. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Huh? It can perfectly easily be rated best of all time by, say, Rolling Stone magazine but 75% of music listeners can disagree.

Andrew Russe and ARK like this.
  14. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Trust me, it's definitely more appreciated by the newer generations than Sgt. Pepper. On my end, as well as my gf, nephew, etc. Why do you think that album keeps getting more acclaim with each year? If you noticed all of these silly "greatest albums of all time" lists it either goes up in rank or stays in its place.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

OK, so that would just mean Rolling Stone’s poll overrated it.

16. Timos

Timos Forum resident

I wouldn’t say anything. I’d just smile at them.

17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Many still love it. :D

Buddybud, ARK, Timos and 3 others like this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

I just finished a book on this era, forget the title, a quick and easy read, but it upped my knowledge on the contractual and aesthetic hassles Brian faced during this era... holy moly.....

davenav likes this.
  19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

He said he would be 'concerned' about it. That seems pretty nice to me.

20. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Hence ... Overrated.

There's really no metric to state what the average person thinks except music sales charts. "Critically rated" is precisely what we're talking about I'd presumed.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Well, those Rolling Stone lists aren’t really critical ratings, they’re polls among musicians and industry people (sure, including critics), whose opinions may or may not be representative of public consensus.

I agree, as, once again, I don’t know where people are getting these “ratings” against which they are basing their assessments of things being overrated. If it’s just the Rolling Stone lists, they should say that. Rolling Stone’s polls are not the authority on how highly albums are regarded, they’re just a magazine article.

22. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

And I was just using Rolling Stone as a random example anyway.

When someone says "Revolver is overrated" do you usually respond "according to what metric?"Do you actually care if we discuss which particular critic said it was the best, or are you just going off of a general impression of what people think critics think?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  23. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

critical acclaim is overrated :D

Big Blue and juss100 like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Actually, yes. Because I have no idea upon what they are basing that statement.

25. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

"You aint wrong tho..."