Bizarre Deaths of Musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mike sullivan, Nov 25, 2021.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Minor correction. He was not a Senator. He was in the House.

Hey Vinyl Man and phillyal1 like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Barbara Weldens, a French singer who normally performed barefoot, was electrocuted onstage during a thunderstorm.

I always think of this when I think about Steven Wilson, who also likes performing barefoot. I hope he takes sensible precautions at outdoor performances.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

this almost happened to me. true story. the only thing that saved me was a short guitar cord. i fell over backwards and it unplugged me from the amp.

5. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I don't think Rosolino's death was bizarre -- just horrible. He was depressed, apparently because his wife had committed suicide six years earlier. He made the decision to murder his children (presumably thinking he was sparing them sorrow) before he saw himself out. Luckily, one of them -- Jason -- survived and there was a very moving article catching up with him a few years later, I think Nat Hentoff wrote it. The older boy was named Justin.

Jason is still with us. He has had a hard life, but is apparently very religious. Every once in a while there will be a profile of him, usually in the Christian press. The most recent I found was in 2019.

Dyland, Suncola and hi_watt like this.
  6. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Yep… sad story… American power pop band from Oregon. Their one album is worth looking out for.

Still Crazy: Ten Years of the Exploding Hearts

RVA_101 and carlwm like this.
  7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Cozy Powell's death was both bizarre and tragically pointless. He answered his mobile phone while driving and crashed off the road to his death. If only he'd used hands free or whatever, he'd probably still be with us.

8. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Noting the continuing escalation of relational problems between Harry & his girlfriend of six years, Bobby suggested Harry stay at his home for "a time" while he went out on a promotional tour for his new album. On the night of March 9, 1974, Harry and Patricia (who had a child previous to her & Harry's relationship - that Harry cared for...as well as taking care of their almost 2 yr old daughter) - at the time of his demise, began arguing, shortly after Patricia's arrival to Bobby's home...she claimed she found another woman's undergarments in the room he was occupying at Bobby's house (which was also in Pasadena, off the 110 Freeway, Avenue 43 exit). Patricia then stabbed Harry in the neck with a steak knife, mortally "wounding" him. "It was a case of jealousy," said Bobby, adding that "she thought he was leaving." The undergarments later turned out to be from a girlfriend of Bobby's.

Dark Horse 77, RVA_101 and Icethorn like this.
  9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Dimebag Darrell, murdered on stage.

RVA_101, ODShowtime, rancher and 3 others like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Which musician(s) does this refer to?

11. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

Harry Womack. Who was Bobby Womack's brother and a member of The Valentinos.

12. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

How does a musician, guitar player for example, become at risk for getting electrocuted?

speedracer and phillyal1 like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Indonesian pop singer Irma Bule was bitten by a cobra onstage. She continued on and dropped dead after 45 minutes.

Tim 2, phillyal1, ODShowtime and 2 others like this.
  15. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Not really bizarre as much as ironic, Jack Anglin from the country duo Johnnie & Jack died in a car crash on his way to Patsy Cline's funeral.

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Electric cables all over the stage... musicians concentrating more on their performance and on working the crowd rather than watching where they step... water from rain showers if it's an open air concert.. ripe conditions for an accident. All it would take would be one faulty cable or piece of equipment, as was apparently the case with Weldens. Going barefoot on stage in those conditions is asking for trouble. At least shoes would give you a certain amount of insulation protection.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. backtomono

backtomono Forum Resident

Wasn't his death strangely labeled a suicide

Cool hand luke likes this.
  18. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

"Montego Bay" singer Bobby Bloom accidentally shot himself while cleaning his gun in 1974 at the age of 28. Texas singer-songwriter Stephen Fromholz died in 2014 at the age of 68 when his rifle fell out of it's case and discharged.

Icethorn likes this.
  19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Remarkably similar to how Cliff Burton died.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I always found it incredibly bizarre that Mama Cass and Keith Moon both died at the same place, in a flat owned by Harry Nilsson. Not only that, they both died in the same bed.

MortSahlFan, No Bull, Dyland and 8 others like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I just checked, and this is true, at least if measured by sales. I acknowledge my error.
    Still, "Taxi" wa definitely one of his signature songs, so it was ironic how he died.

Jarleboy, Sean, Drifter and 2 others like this.
  22. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy Thread Starter

In 1947 Jimmie Lunceford, an American jazz saxophonist, collapsed during an autograph session, he died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and an autopsy concluded that his death was the result of a heart problem, but allegations and rumours circulated that he had been poisoned by a racist restaurant owner .

Icethorn and mw1917 like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

British indie rock group Viola Beach were on the verge of stardom when their lives were cut short by a horror car accident in Sweden . All four members of the group perished along with their manager when the vehicle they were travelling plunged off a bridge into the icy waters of a shipping canal.

------

2016 and several members were under 20.

dmiller458 likes this.
  24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I heard that the "Hokey Pokey" songwriter had a strange funeral. As they were preparing him for burial in his casket, they'd put his left foot in and he'd put his right foot out...

Tim 2, No Bull, geo50000 and 12 others like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

R&B singer Johnny Ace Xmas day 1954 between 2 sets was playing with a gun backstage, probably Russian Roulette. Game over.