Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't say I'm truly surprised but it still hurts to hear. :cry:

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Did Morrissey say that? That's bad!

Edit: He didn't.

Dudley Morris and DesertHermit like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know that and I vehemently disagree with it, but plenty of rock stars have said bad things. I was a big Morrissey fan and haven't bought anything by him since, but I admit he's helped with that by making sure the music is complete turgid crap.

This is part of the problem though, when people exaggerate what he's said, or invent quotes, like above, usually people who've never liked him in the first place, it takes away from the credibility of the people speaking out against what's he's been coming out with, which is of course absolute nonsense in itself.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    DesertHermit and ghoulsurgery like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I have to be vague wording wise here, but my longtime conclusion was that Chris Brown's audience and R. kelly's 5-10 years ago audience view forgiveness much differently that the fans of most other genres for several social-economic reasons. I see a similar effect with Michael Jackson's international audience whereas he's still very problematic in North America/most of Europe.

BTW, Chris did play Toronto in 2019, but only as a Drake surprise guest.

5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Yeah Morrissey is way off the deep end these days. I’ve hit a point where I won’t go to see him or buy his records. If I’m really curious, I can always illegally download

Man at C&A and Penny24 like this.
  6. Penny24

With all due respect, Chris Brown has been dropping trash music for as long as I can remember and he's still unaffected by all of this.

Jmac1979 and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I consider MJ to be a different beast altogether because the four accusers have all wanted a payout (or at least in the first two cases, their parents extorting Jackson for money). I think MJ suffered severe mental illness and Peter Pan syndrome but for a guy who literally opened up his backyard to thousands of children, practically a pedophile's smorgasbord, and only four people have ever accused him, two ended up retracting as adults and the other two with more holes in their stories than swiss cheese (ie, Safechuck's detail of being raped at the train station on Neverland... which wasn't even constructed until a year after he and MJ had lost touch) that I think he's a different situation than a Brown or Kelly. I'm not saying he's 100% innocent, but I also have read up enough that I really have my doubts of his guilt.

But hell, even in Chris Brown's case, the same people who seem to think he deserves redemption are largely people who spit at the name of Bobby Brown or Ike Turner which I find humorous because those two guys are horrible monsters for what they did to Whitney and Tina, but Chris just needs compassion when he's shown he doesn't intend on changing?

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's ridiculous, it's easy to find pictures of what he did to Rihanna and yet he still has support in the industry and plenty of fans. It baffles me. They're just giving him more power.

georgwithoutane and Jmac1979 like this.
  9. Penny24

It's thirsty girls who like to victim blame, even though if they were in Rihanna's shoes, Karruche's shoes (or whoever he sleeps with next) would likely experience the same type of abuse. Crazy how a pretty face can make people forget about the monster behind it.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's where I'm at with him, but I also won't take people who've never liked him piling in seriously either. The most disgusting and off-putting comment from Morrissey I've read has nothing to do with race or right wing politics. His comment on Harvey Weinstein's victims is beyond appalling.

georgwithoutane and ghoulsurgery like this.
  11. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Is he making rap music, now?

The last Marylin Manson album I listened to was "Mechanical animals"

BTW: in before the lock or the erase.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

The poster you were replying to is often seen to make strawman arguments and provocative comments. First to jump in an stir the pot, , then leave - while others end up arguing. In this thread, any inflammatory remarks, can be traced back, to that poster, as a consequence. Plus, his attempts at humour are side splitting.

14. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

What? I thought it was a Kanye West song that he appears on. Why would he receive the award?

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Might as well get The Beatles in too!

16. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

You're thinking of responsibility as if it were a football being passed around a room, so that only one person is holding it at once.

We all have a responsibility not to bully, manipulate, deceive etc. It's not something that evaporates as soon as we can find someone it actually works on, so that we can say "Well, they were weak-willed/immature/easily confused, so it's their football".

misteranderson and Man at C&A like this.
  17. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

One thing you’re overlooking with Adams case is this - being a total jerk takes away from your ability to present yourself as a sincere, good dude, wronged in love and too often misunderstood. Adams has at times been a brilliant song writer throughout his career, but this is and has always been his shtick. It is the underlying thematic vehicle for 98% of the songs he has written. So when it turns out that he is the root cause of his own problems, willfully imposing and manipulative in his relationships, it undercuts his entire appeal. It is literally sad bastard music. It’s an authenticity problem. I think The Dude had a point here when he said: “No, you’re not wrong, Walter, you’re just an *******.”

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my view, no, you do not.

Only when we're talking about fraudulent contracts (which includes things like sales and bartering transactions). Otherwise I don't agree that there's no responsibility to not deceive, either.

19. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

OK, well we occupy different universes.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Morrissey didn't say this. He's said a lot of sketchy stuff but he didn't say that.

Not meant as a defense of Morrissey who is undoubtedly awful, but that is a pretty extreme thing to attribute to someone when they didn't actually say it.

21. Terrapin Station

We have different views. That's typically how this stuff works. Hence the need to hash out compromises when we're talking about social transactions.

22. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

It's pointless having conversations like this in a forum, as there is a lack of context, and know one knows you. You claim you are never offended, but anyone can do that online using an anonymous avatar. No one can ask for evidence, so I can't see there being much value in making such claims. Even if someone was to meet you, hang out with you for a few weeks, saying you are beyond offending, may still be false. A lot of people are not who they say they are, or claim to be, as is found out later by people in broken relationships. So unless you are prepared to offer some kind of demonstrable evidence that goes beyond mere encoded language on a page, why keep up these arguments?

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

You might think that, but sometimes I think you get to a point where you realise the other person is stupid and you make this your last reply.

cwd likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

On your view, why would anyone share any opinion they hold on anything in a forum like this, then? (And why would you bother reading any of those opinions?)

25. Terrapin Station

The only thing stupid is to think that an opinion or an expression of the way someone feels, a disposition they have, etc. is somehow indicative of intelligence.

How would that be correlated to intelligence in your view?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.