Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

I didn’t notice one particular thing that caused George to leave, it seemed to come out of nowhere. Maybe he had been thinking of this for days? Maybe tired of the screwing off? I know I would have grown tired of it especially if I had some of my own tunes that they could have been working on.

On s side note, George’s continual noodling on guitar is wearisome. Improvisation is definitely not his forte ( as he stated in the movie)

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I was 10 in 1970, already had the Let It Be and McCartney albums when I sat in a movie theater and watched the movie. I was enthralled with the whole thing. A short two years later I was again in a movie theater that was packed watching The Concert For Bangla Desh. I love all this stuff and always have. BTW since I was under 13 for both showings tickets were $1. Get Back is music nirvana for me.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It is one thing to hear the demos, but another thing altogether to see the four of them run through "All Things Must Pass" and "Gimme Some Truth".

What might have been....:sigh:

4. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, I haven't watched it yet either, but my understanding after reading some earlier Jackson interviews is that he approached this series from a story telling standpoint. This makes sense, as with any story this is an arc. In this case the arc starts from a low point and weaves its way steadily upward. This is also why it would need to be dialogue heavy and not only the music. I'm still very psyched to watch this! but be won't surprise me if it is made for true fans first and foremost. :agree:

BeatleJWOL and Sammy Banderas like this.
  5. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

People HERE are actually complaining about the Beatles? Damn... I know there's a few exceptions, but as a whole, you guys on this forum really don't like anything. At all.

6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Actually the versions we have are what should have been. They are pretty great. By 1970 Paul, John, and George had been together for almost half of their lives. It was time to move on.

jas621 and Spencer R like this.
  7. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

From what I've read in the past, George had a lot of personal/home life problems going on at precisely this time. Basically his marriage was falling apart and there was a lot of drama going on with all that. It's very possible that led to him feeling like, what am I doing here, while my home life/marriage is crumbling? I suspect that had a lot to do with him just up and leaving right then.

8. BeatlingAbout

BeatlingAbout Well-Known Member

Long time lurker, first time poster…. Does anybody know what the instrumental song is after Isn’t it a Pity on the end credits of Part One?

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Your opinion, but mine is they were more than sum of the parts.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think the original Peter Jackson's 'Get Back' thread shouldn't have been closed

This Let It Be/Get Back thread was indeed about the box set at first. Not the Peter Jackson film

11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

This thread has moved to be a parrallel discussion about the film, instead of being about the box set, and should really be closed.

12. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

Yes...I really want to read peolpe's thoughts on the first episode. My thread about episode 1 (I started this morning), got shut down. That's OK...just hope there is ONE best thread to be directed to ??

ponkine likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

14. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I found part one to be both thrilling and tedious…which is my sense of what they were feeling. They were in desperate need of good management at the time and lacking that it just became frustrating for all involved.

Lewisboogie and 2141 like this.
  15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

16. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Just finished watching the first part and it was great. Man they had so many incredible ideas flowing around, in terms of what they wanted the show to be but also in terms of the music. I honestly think some ideas they had for the songs actually sounded better than what was released. Also them pondering the idea of playing in a ruin amphitheater reminded me of what Pink Floyd did years later with Pompeii. I thought it was a good idea, too bad George and Ringo weren't up for traveling.

17. Regrettably, I found for me it was somewhat of a tough slog, and I had to take frequent breaks to get through all of it. Was expecting lots more complete performances of some of the better oldies recorded at Twickenham (you mean, you had footage of the searing cover of "Honey Hush" and used only five seconds of it...grrrr) and would have gladly done without a lot of the early working out of song ideas/arrangements and strategizing about the live show venue in their place .

And I know it sounds like heresy, but the original movie works much better from an entertainment standpoint, and there wasn't too much in this doc that I wish had been included. Lindsey-Hogg at least gave it a bit of narrative thrust, while most of the time, this seemed entirely neutral in that aspect. Also, whatever they did, I thought the music audio didn't sound that great (better on the nagra boots really), and whereas before when I was watching the previews on my computer screen I didn't mind the smoothing out/de-graining of the footage, on my bigger TV screen I definitely noticed the unpleasant artifacts.

In any case, glad it got made and that I saw it, but I don't expect to revisit it soon again, if ever. I do look for things to pick up a bit in the next two installments with the change of venue, improved moods and further development of the songs...

Gila and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  18. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

StingRay5 must still listen to old blues on 1” thick 78s.

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

20. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I think it had something to do with the visit by Dick James. That was the straw…

21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just watched through the whole thing and I agree with you; this is far from a whitewash. In fact I’m some ways it’s even more upsetting than the original film. That said, it’s far more well rounded…I’m thinking much more positivity will come through as the ne to tromp arts progress, they move to Apple and they’re joined by Billy Preston. The ending today was very morose, to put it one way. But very real, in my opinion. As just one in the multitude of hardcore fans, I loved it and thank Peter Jackson for his massive efforts.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The entire final ten minutes or so were sobering, indeed.

23. Finished watching about an hour ago. I was very excited in the beginning and quite bored by the end. Tedious.
    Too bad because I have listened to this material many times and don't find it boring. Let's say I don't like the edit!
    A lot of great material was passed over. No complete run through of the fast "Two Of Us". Hell no complete run through of anything. It seems as if it was edited for someone with ADD. Way too much talking and not enough music.
    One thing that struck me enough to mention, I have never thought Linda was particularly great looking but she is quite lovely here.

Gila, Big Pasi and DK Pete like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The lack of complete runthroughs is simply because these were rehearsals with the songs in their developmental stages. They are played closer to completeness as the arrangements fall into place. For me, that’s the payoff.

25. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Gotta have the Commonwealth performance in audio only format. One of the episode's best!