How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

"your father's moustache" is another one.

2. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I would ask "Have you ever heard Friends?" It's way more fun. And if they aren't familiar with that or Smiley Smile they might end up appreciating Pet Sounds more after hearing them. Or not.

3. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Yeah, or Revolver, or Sgt. Pepper, or Aja, or... Those have all already been mentioned, but replying that way is being just as obnoxious IMHO.

ARK, Tim 2, Big Blue and 1 other person like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

How do you respond? Well, you just politely respect their opinion and move on :).
    There’s no sense in arguing or trying to convince someone. Perhaps someday he-she will change their mind and learn to like or appreciate it. As my mom used to say, it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things.

ARK, simoncm and JosepZ like this.
  5. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

Except I love all those albums but have zero love for Thriller.:D
    Thing is--and I'm sure it's already been said in 20 pages--there's a huge difference between saying an album is overrated and saying it's "the most overrated album in the world."

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

it has taken me literally decades to be able to appreciate the beach boys music. about 3 years ago i went on a deep dive , so to speak and it hit me like a ton of bricks just how complex and at times subversive a lot of their music is. will i buy any albums? probably not , but thanks to the likes of spotify i don't have to buy them and can still enjoy the likes of "wild honey" " the beach boys love you" and a few others along with a lot of their early work. that being said i have to admit that "pet sounds" still escapes me.not that i don't think it is a work of genius , i gather it is actually brian wilson and session musicians , it 's just my brain can't wrap itself around it , hopefully there is a yet in this equation. the beach boys are an institution for a reason.

7. Randall DeBouvre

stuff and nonsense! is another one.

HfxBob and Mr. Heartbreak like this.
  8. JosepZ

No disrespect to @Brian Lux or any other member, but it just came to my mind... isn't this thread based on overreacting to someone's somewhat tactless way to say they don't like a highly regarded pop album? Maybe some overthinking about it too? We fans tend to do that all the time, but life is too short for arguing about tastes.
    Commenting about tastes is great, even debating, but arguing with someone with a different sensibility is ultimately pointless.

ostrichfarm likes this.
  9. JosepZ

Fair point. But replying with your own candidate for that position doesn't make you any different, right?
    BTW, I happen to like Thriller but at the same time it still puzzles me how successful it was. I prefer any of those other albums, except for Aja with which I am not familiar.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  10. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I strongly question the musical taste of anyone who doesn't like Pet Sounds.

It's probably the only album I'd say that about.

Although, if they like jazz and don't like Kind of Blue they obviously have really bad musical taste.

davenav, Penny24 and Mr. Heartbreak like this.
  11. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

Whaaaat? Forget Pet Sounds and Thriller, you need some Aja in your life!

ARK, gregorya and JosepZ like this.
  12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

The Beach Boys perform that one on Beach Boys Concert.

Drifter likes this.
  13. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

There are two songs that are vastly superior to the others on the album. The other songs besides those are nice, and one or two that are almost as good, but I understand why people disagree and even resent all the attention this album gets. I also have Brian Wilson praise fatigue. Even if the hype is true, it gets excessive.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Thinking about Pet Sounds, it is not an album I play very often, very infrequently in fact. I handed over my money, so I suppose I am entitled to play it as often as I like or not!

JG

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That’s because they don’t have enough good songs of their own.

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I like that one. :laugh:

17. central616

central616 Forum Resident

How to respond nicely to someone who starts a thread with the childiest question ever and with a bigger font to desperately call for attention ?

Jackson, Tim 2 and Nostradamus like this.
  18. Randall DeBouvre

a few more -
    sit on it
    fiddle faddle
    my aunt fanny

ARK likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Ask them what their favorite album is. Then say 'well that's even more overrated'.

Buddybud, HfxBob and Penny24 like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good point.

Mr. Heartbreak likes this.
  21. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

:laugh:

22. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Well, mine would be perceived as just that. Because I think this is one of the dullest albums ever. While Surf's Up and Holand are definitely not.

Then again, would it be better if I lied about what I personally feel just to make sure your feelings aren't hurt? :) Exactly. I (almost) hate the Beatlers (or at least Pepper and Revolver) and I love Folklore. Then again, to my tastes Kind of Blue is almost musak and Bitches Brew is incredible. So it all boils down to taste, donnit?

Some guy here or on another thread with a similar subject were saying something along the lines that caiming that something is overrated is just arrogance. Well, then you don't get the concept, pal. I'm not saying that you should not enjoy Billy Joel or All Things Must Pass. It is just that I find 'em somewhat lacking compared to the Replacements and Sign O'the Times. I do, you don't. And that should be the end of that discussion.

Peace and love to all.

gregorya likes this.
  23. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

You are almost a perfect parody of this forum, my friend. Because your taste seems to consists entirely by the right albums from all the accepted artist without any exceptions. Kudos were kudi are due, tho :love:

ARK and cwd like this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

then finish your juicebox and go back to your 3rd grade class, because recess is over.

bzfgt and Big Blue like this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Kudi! :laugh:

ARK likes this.