Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

Also want Castle of the King of Birds. Sounded great on the closing credits!

2. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

You know you may be right. Him sitting there listening to James tell Paul how much money him and John are going to make.

3. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Agreed! Just saw those performances now, for me another one of lifes if only moments !

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

18' to go
    almost finished and I want more!

5. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know this is a kind of heresy, and I'm a huge Beatles fan, but I find the first episode of the film to be tedious and boring. Bits of not so interesting conversations interspersed with half-heartedly played snippets of songs and not much else. I know I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't get past about 45 minutes of it and don't feel compelled to watch any more. I am looking forward to seeing the rooftop concert though.

Gila likes this.
  6. Claudio Dirani

I can only say it's stellar.

7. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Boring! It’s like watching a live rehearsal. I’m half way and can watch this for days. So fascinating. Did Paul write Get Back on the spot? I think this is an insanely good documentary.

Edit: I mean, this footage comes so close to how the band worked at that moment.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Bakeryrec, MikeT, Quincy and 7 others like this.
  8. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

disappointed that they didn't include the covers/rock n' roll songs or much. Probably to avoid paying royalties to those
    companies/writers.

waste of money and discs IMO, easily could have squeezed the extras onto single discs etc.

Tho the outtakes sound better than my bootlegs.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it but I think 30 minutes a sitting is the best way to watch it. I don't think I could do all 2 hours 36 minutes in one hit...

DK Pete likes this.
  10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

It probably should have commercials. When I watch it, I’ll take commercial breaks.

11. Claudio Dirani

I just finished watching it.
    It doesn't feel it's over 2 h long

12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Once again, it’s not a zero sum game. The originals will always be there for you to cherish.

BeatleJWOL and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

Amazing, fantastic, brilliant! Everything I was hoping for in seeing the genesis of these great songs and their progression to completion in the coming episodes.

For me, I can see a few reasons for George leaving - he wasn't being listened to, and he wasn't being allowed to experiment and find the parts he wanted to add. It's like "why am I here?" He's used to deferring to Paul, but now that it's going to be on film for the world to see, it's less comfortable. And get a damn guitar stand for Lucy, would you?

John is in love and would probably rather be in bed with Yoko, but he clearly loves to play and enjoys the creative process working with Paul - who John obviously looks to for approval and validation throughout. John is so happy when he suggests a small lyric change and Paul grins his approval. John lights up at that kind of thing.

Ringo never had the "I'm being ignored" problem, and knows his place in the band.

Paul is the show. Paul is directing traffic and organizing and producing the songs, driving everything, essentially. Even on the songs that aren't his. My assumption is that the dynamic we see here with the band was probably always in place. Paul calls the shots. But without trying to seem like he's calling the shots. Because he is the one capable of calling the shots. Can you see any of the other 3 taking charge like that?

MikeT, JoseUnidos, Rfreeman and 9 others like this.
  14. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

That Jan 10th he looked particularly somber...

stevenson66g and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I only paused it once for a bathroom break. It felt like I was leaving the studio and couldn't wait to get back to the room with them.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have been a Beatles fanatic for the vast majority of my life and NEVER have I come closer to understanding the frustration Paul was feeling during this time as I did watching this film. And another thing in Paul's defense (I say this NOT as a MACCA fanboy, but a Beatle fan)....his input in arranging Don't Let Me Down was, to me, astounding. And if I wasn't convinced before, I am NOW of how crucial his input was to developing a great many of the songs John fans deem purely as "John songs" simply because John was the lead singer. I think the "musical arranger" in Paul had been there from the outset and just grew and grew over time. This can be taken in a good or bad way but I stand by it.

17. Claudio Dirani

I think George's heart is simply not there. Feeling unconfortable. He announces: "I'm not playing my songs in the show, they are too slowish". Then halfway through he comes up with I Me Mine and For You Blue, that would eventually suit the project.
    All Things Must Pass is a true beauty but it'd be another slow ballad and fate has it set aside to name his main ouvre.

You see, I didn't feel any negativy in the movie. Like I said, George's soul was not there and one tends to get pissed off easily in such state of mind.

ivtoon, Rfreeman, Cledwyn and 6 others like this.
  18. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

It's because there's no complete footage of any song, just bits here and there. A complete "take" would mean lots of fly-in camera shots.

19. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Those five seconds are probably all they have of Honey Hush...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I haven’t seen a lot of Beatles documentaries but I have the idea this comes very close. It’s honest.

21. Claudio Dirani

I ended up liking Yoko better in this first part. Seems to be enjoying the music. We only had footage of her, like, paralyzed.
    This movie was meant to unite the fans not split'em, imho.
    Which it kinda ironic, since Let It Be was released after their break-up.

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Which is pretty impressive, since Anthology actually debuted 26 years ago, in 1995.
    Must have been one of those exclusive pre-release screening thingys!
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :tiphat:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    BeatleJWOL, Lewisboogie, 2141 and 2 others like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It’s hard to compare it to other docs because just about all of them focus on their entire career as a band. Their content is largely text book and like I said earlier, you’re the outsider looking in. Here, I felt like I was a ghost at their side.

fmfxray373 and RemyM like this.
  24. Claudio Dirani

Happy thanksgiving

jricc likes this.
  25. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

a fly on the wall. That’s what’s so amazing about it. See how these guys function during rehearsals.