THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Excellent and insightful post…all very true.

fogalu, musicfan37 and JL6161 like this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you watch the Imagine rehearsals, it's pretty clear. It's amazing to see George, at that point one of the most successful artists in the world, willingly assuming a studio musician role on John's album, paying careful attention to John's explanations, even eliciting Yoko's opinions of his playing a slide guitar on "Oh My Love". I that the reason is clear - they have a good relationship because from George's perspective, John was always the leader, the gifted musician and someone George looked up to. Those relationships, formed in one's youth, often last a lifetime.

3. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

Very true but many things said in jest have more than a nugget of truth in there. I had never realized Dick James visited on the day he left the band. Very interesting tidbit I somehow missed. Between him talking to Paul about how much money they were going to make, his marital troubles at home and his frustration with the sessions, it’s no wonder he wasn’t in the best of moods that day.

4. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Just watched part 1 it's :righton:

Darren Richardson likes this.
  5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

True. Humor is often a way (even unknowingly) to express what's on ones mind, in a socially acceptable, less argumentative way.

6. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Was it just me, or did Paul seem to be treating Dick James on the 10th like he was a leper? It looked like James was trying to ingratiate himself with Paul (and the others), and like Paul didn’t want to interact with him at all.

jricc, fogalu, OldSoul and 6 others like this.
  7. joy stinson

Yes, and George was the type of person who seemed to have fixed notions of who he admired and who he didn’t as it related to his views of himself, musically and otherwise. George’s traits were both an asset and a liability as he was rigid though could when he wanted to be the best team player which made him a great asset throughout most of the Beatles.

Vinyl_Blues and ZackyDog like this.
  8. The Fiftieth Beatle

Which is probably why they were looking to John. Normally he could crank out those tunes in his sleep, which makes me wonder if the drugs were hampering him. There’s a scene where they are going over suggestions in the morning (right after he got there) and he’s kind of sitting there silently, glassy eyed. Or maybe I’m just reading into it too much. He had just come off a year where he was incredibly prolific, so he just may have been in a creative slump. If he had brought in a few more songs that first week, maybe the tensions aren’t as bad as they’d have a decent basis for a show.

9. joy stinson

Well, they were struggling to get through the sessions, not to…counsel dick James and advise him about his marital troubles, etc., so this isn’t surprising. Wasn’t there also an issue about dick James then or earlier buying Beatles songs? Am I remembering this right?

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Man, Glyn Johns really looks like a positive contributor on the track "Let It Be". Very impressive.

11. joy stinson

Obviously a downer drug as well as probably burn out was hampering him….It’s a whole important element in later Beatles. The previous year, no drugs were allowed in India thus the difference….I thought at this point John’s lyrics became too fractured and incoherent.

12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I had the same thought about that scene. He does look out of it and he's much quieter than the other day's sessions.

13. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Goodness me, I would be surprised if any ‘casual fan’, curiosity piqued by the news coverage, gets through more than 15 mins of part one before reaching for the remote.

How they thought it was a good idea to build this up as a premium, mainstream Beatles product is beyond me. I mean, I love the Beatles, but I had to turn it off before the hour mark.

14. Brian_Svoboda

Two months later, James would sell his share of Northern Songs to ITV, without telling Lennon or McCartney.

AlienRendel, fogalu, Mike M and 7 others like this.
  15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I used to think he was holding back, already thinking about his solo career. But now I'm more inclined to think what you're saying here, that he was in a slump.

Vinyl_Blues, ODIrony, fogalu and 2 others like this.
  16. joy stinson

Thanks for reminding me..I knew it was somewhere in this time the big dick James thing happened..couldn’t remember the details.

17. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Mal, please bring a anvil and a hammer

Mal: oh boy

18. The Fiftieth Beatle

I thought the same thing.

19. joy stinson

I felt just IMHO that the slump went on awhile actually till mid seventies walls and bridges and certainly only resurged by late seventies though still only half a John album of songs on DF.

JCo, Lewisboogie and Shaddam IV like this.
  20. Punman

Punman Forum Resident

I tuned in at 5:30 A.M. my time as I was anxious to watch this. I was still going to high school the year the first movie came out but I had never seen it, so cannot compare it to this. Having read many books on the subject though; I knew the plot line and what to expect. A few observations:

I was impressed with the quality of video and audio was fine given the location the Beatles were working with.

I was afraid part one might have dwelt even more on the negative. I am glad they did not and it showed that there were some happy occasions unless they were all just putting on brave faces, which they likely were doing a bunch of the time.

It was interesting to see how some of the songs developed on site, as well as to hear songs that would not appear on the Let it Be album (precursors to Abbey Road, some of them).

If any of you felt emotionally engaged as you watched (as did I), then I think that is evidence of a movie which has some merit.

Some people unfamiliar with the whole situation might wonder why they couldn’t get their act together. After watching part one, it amazes me that they could get anywhere given the time constraints, the bad feelings, the disputes over financial dealings, and all the animosity among band members and others. Bring on part two!

21. Brian_Svoboda

Mal was rocking that anvil. Like Will Ferrell on cowbell.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  22. The Fiftieth Beatle

Yeah, pretty sure he made quite the pretty penny off Lennon/McCartney tunes. To be fair, when Epstein made the deal with James, no one knew how successful and long lasting the band would be. John and Paul still made a ton of money but not nearly as much as if they had signed the publishing deal a year (or even six months) later.

Lewisboogie and joy stinson like this.
  23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I think the way the infamous "I'll play whatever you want me to play" scene is edited here gives a good indication of why. Paul and George have very different methods of working and while their efforts produced great results, they found it very difficult. By contrast, George could not only do his own thing on John's songs, he could provide much more input in the overall arrangements. This is shown well when you see how they work together on Imagine.

batdude98, TeddyB, ODIrony and 7 others like this.
  24. The Fiftieth Beatle

I don’t know. The Plastic Ono Band and Imagine albums were quite good, as was the Instant Karma and Cold Turkey singles. Some Time in NYC is where he began to fall off. Mind Games and Walls and Bridges each have some great tunes but neither one was produced particularly well. I just think in 1969 he became more preoccupied with his ventures with Yoko and no longer had much time for the Beatles. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  25. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

When reading reviews of "Get Back" online, I stop reading at the end of episode 1 and skip the rest (for now). No more spoilers for me lol.

Randy Goldberg likes this.