Logitech Z625 computer speakers (can be used for multiple things)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Nov 24, 2021.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

For those of you who would like computer speakers which can also be used to improve the sound of most of today's TVs, adding a sub to an older stereo system using the RCA outputs, etc. I highly recommend these Logitech speakers: Amazon.com: Logitech Z625 Powerful THX Certified 2.1 Speaker System with Optical Input : Electronics

You can hook things up using the 3.5mm connection, the RCA stereo connection and there is even an Optical input built into the amp which is built in to the subwoofer. The speakers are hooked up as described this way: The left channel speaker is hooked up using the RCA output jack and the right channel is hooked up using the D-Sub output. If you need to extend the left channel, all you need to do is use an RCA coupler and a longer RCA cable, and these are the extension cables that work with the speaker: Amazon.com: Amphenol CS-DSDHD15MF0-005 15-Pin HD15 Deluxe D-Sub Cable, Shielded, Male/Female, 5', Gray : Electronics

[​IMG]
    The manual: z625-web-qsg.pdf (logitech.com)

jfeldt and stereoptic like this.
  2. BradOlson

3. BradOlson

4. BradOlson

The Z623 is very similar to the Z625 but the Z625 adds an optical input and the Z623 only has the RCA and 3.5mm inputs. If you need an optical input, go Z625, if you don't need the optical input, go Z623.

paulieb00 likes this.
  5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Thanks.

M~

6. BradOlson

Using this style of speaker, and a turntable with a built-in phono preamp such as an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or equivalent or a turntable with a separate phono preamp hooked up to RCA, you will get an excellent starter setup.

7. BradOlson

You're welcome

8. BradOlson

To hook up the sub to the older stereo system using the Logitech's, go out of the RCA of the receiver and into the sub of the Logitech system using RCA. The power switch is on the right channel speaker, BTW so at least the right channel speaker has to be plugged in.

9. BradOlson

10. BradOlson

I have just turned on RFD-TV and they had one of the Mollie B Christmas shows on and I enjoyed the bass really kicking in from the sub. I enjoyed the bass really kicking on Carpenters' Only Yesterday when I listened to it yesterday. I have my Yamaha speakers and the Logitech's connected to my bedroom receiver as well as the TV connected to the Logitech's which I can turn on the receiver as well. To hook up these speakers to a receiver, you go out of the receiver into the RCA inputs.

11. harby

harby Forum Resident

For those of you that would like inexpensive studio monitors that can upgrade the sound of of most of today's computer speakers,

JBL 305P MkII 5-inch Powered Studio Monitor

[​IMG]

They might not have "400 watts peak" of the Logitech (mwahaaha), but at least they have a real tweeter...

[​IMG]

Your choice of balanced XLR or balanced TRS 1/4", with sensitivity switch for consumer (including "audiophile" XLR) or pro input levels. 3.5mm to 2x 1/4" cable if you must.

12. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

This thread is a great reminder that the current low budget end of music playback is better than midFi of days gone by, and there are options other than sound bars to improve TV sound.

I have a small Bose wireless bluetooth speaker that was given to me as a gift a half dozen years ago. I was never excited about the sound quality when using on my deck for music, Then the BT crapped out and I wired it to a small TV in front of the treadmill via the headphone input. Fantastic improvement over the built in speakers, and the Bose "equalization" seems great for the application! Juice the highs, boost the lows, turn up the speed on the treadmill!

BradOlson likes this.
  13. BradOlson

That is the exact purpose of this thread. On this Logitech setup, one can use a portable CD player with either headphone out or line out or a decent component CD player to hook up either with straight RCA or RCA to 3.5mm. To hook up more RCA components, all you need is an A/V selector connected to a system with RCA hooked up in the output of the selector connected to the RCA input of the amp. To hook up more 3.5mm components, all one has to do is to buy a line mixer and the 1/4" to 1/8" adapters or a 3.5mm switch. The line mixers with the appropriate adapters are more versatile and are the better options.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  14. BradOlson

Also, if extension cables are necessary for the cables for these studio monitors if using a computer, all one needs is one of these for the 3.5mm end: 3.5mm headphone extension cable.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  15. BradOlson

16. BradOlson

I have shown my oldest nephew these speakers yesterday and he liked them so much he asked where did I get these and I said that I got it at my local computer store, but he can also get them at Best Buy as well and is planning on buying a set for his office in his home in Fargo, ND.

17. BradOlson

If one wants to go out of the TV into the Z625 speakers and into an A/V receiver that has a digital input is to use a digital audio splitter that applies to your system.

For those who have optical in the receiver and an optical out of the TV, get an optical audio splitter. For those who need to have a digital coaxial output to a receiver, have a digital coaxial output on the TV, etc. this bi-directional splitter is what you want as the digital input on the Z625 is optical.

For those who need to convert one output to analog for an older receiver or amp, it is best to get the bi-directional model and use the optical output of the splitter to go right to the Logitech Z625 amp, and then use the coaxial output to plug into a DAC and then RCA out of the DAC into your receiver.

I'd just buy a bi-directional splitter to make things easier, so the Z625 is the best Logitech for those who want to split audio from the TV to multiple systems and get the bi-directional audio splitter.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  18. BradOlson

I added Internet Radio and Bluetooth in this setup by using this headphone amp to plug things in. https://www.amazon.com/rolls-HA43PRO-CH-Headphone-Amp/dp/B00102ZOQC/ The Internet Radio device is what I have connected in the amp using a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable, and the Bluetooth adapter using the adapter that converts the 1/4" to 3.5mm and then using a 3.5mm cable from the Bluetooth adapter into the headphone amp. I use one of the outputs to go into the Logitech, the other to go into the line mixer connected to my Sherwood receiver.

19. BradOlson

How I hook up all of my A/V components to both the Logitech Z625 and the Sherwood receiver in my bedroom.​

For TV audio, I use a bi-directional digital audio converter with the Optical output of the TV into the converter, and then hook up an optical cable from output of the converter into the optical input of Logitech Z625 and then from the digital coaxial side, I use a single RCA cable into a digital/analog converter, and then the RCA cable out of the DAC into GE A/V selector. Since I needed a long run, here is the cable I used for the excellent shielding: Metra WM-RCA20 20' RCA Cable - Walmart.com

For the Mic and Bluetooth setup, I use a Bluetooth adapter plugged into the input a TASCAM miniStudio (which I use a USB-B to A cable and then the USB end goes into a USB wall charger that plugs into an outlet) and then use a 3.5mm to ¼” cable into a Rolls headphone amplifier and use a 3.5mm minijack cable from the headphone output of the headphone amp and plugged into the 3.5mm output jack in the DAC and I have the Rolls and the TASCAM plugged into a power switch so that I can tie them together. The RCA output to the GE A/V selector is what is triggering the audio output of these systems to go into it. I use a 3.5mm cable from the output of the GE/AV selector to the input of the Logitech Z625. To turn on/off the DAC that goes to the TV, I have it plugged it into a USB hub with power switches.

For the audio RCA output of the receiver into Buzz Off, I use RCA output of the receiver and into the RCA output of the Buzz Off.

To go out of the A/V selector into the Buzz Off and then to the receiver, I go RCA out of the A/V selector, into the RCA input of the Buzz Off, and then I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to go from the 3.5mm input of the Buzz Off to the RCA side of the receiver.

Most of this stuff has been mentioned by me in the past but this is a summary.

20. BradOlson

21. BradOlson

22. BradOlson

I have recommended this setup to a friend of mine on Facebook for his TV sound and told him about the HD15 extension cable designed for these and similar speakers that on the right channel the cable is too short for most any use, including the Edifier S350DB speakers.

23. Naper11

Naper11 New Member

Hello, I have the Logitech Z623 Speaker System. I have a question about how to extend the length of the the Left Speaker Cable that has the RCA end plug which terminates into the Subwoofer. Can someone please suggest the proper cable needed to extend this Left Speaker cable an extra 10-12ft? Thank you in advance!

24. BradOlson

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Subwoofer-Analogue-Shielded-KabelDirekt/dp/B00RXNVNZS/ or get an RCA cable and the couplers at Walmart

Do you have the D-Sub extension cable linked for the right channel as well?

For those needing an optical extension cable for the Z625: Amazon.com : optical extension cable

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  25. BradOlson

You can also get the RCA cables and couplers at Best Buy, eBay, Amazon, etc.