David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Did you miss this one ?

2. Lonestar

Lonestar Well-Known Member

I cancelled my Amazon order for the CD set and went with What Records as it was a few quid cheaper, even with the cost of shipping.

Ordered Tuesday, dispatched yesterday, due to be delivered tomorrow.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Amazon have taken the money but not shipped yet. I paid £91.99.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Bought my box for 100 euro shipping included at bol.com. just got mail that it arrives tomorrow :cool:

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. mr fish

mr fish Forum Resident

Had e-mail yesterday to say mine's been shipped from What Records (UK). Not seen a better price on it since I placed my order either.

bluearmy78 likes this.
  6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, on my account it still maintains the boxset will arrive on the 26th, but nothing's moved yet.

EG.

7. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Shipping confirmation from Amazon.fr for the vinyl boxset. it should be here tomorrow.

Azorbz likes this.
  8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

My Amazon delivery is still scheduled for delivery Friday but not as yet shipped. This seems to happen quite a lot - ships late the day before delivery is due and seems to work.

bluearmy78, Eric_Generic and Azorbz like this.
  9. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

My Amazon UK order is set to arrive tomorrow; however, disappointingly, I'm not getting home until the Friday after.

10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Amazon just billed me $161, yet today it's listed as $137. Isn't there supposed to be a lowest price policy?

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If they're anything like Amazon UK, they do retrospective refunds. So they charge you the $161, and then a day or so later you'll get an email saying something like - "Congrats! You saved additional money!", after which you get the difference. I think you're supposed to feel special.

bluearmy78, Terry and MGW like this.
  12. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

croquetlawns likes this.
  13. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Seen it and hated it.

Stump likes this.
  14. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Vaughan is correct. Maybe it’s because it’s possible it’ll drop again before tomorrow. Saves doing refunds piecemeal.

Terry likes this.
  15. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

SHIPPED!

16. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

The fade in and out between the BBC tracks, spoil the flow.

FCat, muzzer and Fabrice Outside like this.
  17. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Got my Burning Shed delivery email, tomorrow via FedEx. Was starting to worry as there was no update at all up until the FedEx email today.

18. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Listening to it right now. It's overly compressed and louder than I'd like, but not limited, and could sound much worse. Listening to Black Tie/White Noise and Buddha of Suburbia for the first time. I'd never given either of these a chance. There are some good songs there, but they suffer from a dated production sound. Strangers When We Meet for example has that 1980s sounding big drum sound and it's drenched in reverb. On the BBC CD Parlophone made some unfortunate choices, such as fading up the beginning of tracks and fading out the ends. They cut out one of the best parts of the show, the chatter between songs. On the boot, Bowie tells a compelling story about a suicide attempt and how it relates to the previously played song, "Always Crashing In the Same Car," and it's missing here.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Shipping notice from JPC for the CD set...

20. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Unbelievable :(
    I assume you're refering to the official release in
    the BA box ?

21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

My store has the box early! Going to get it now

22. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

I've been comparing the tracks from Nothing Has Changed with the new release, and they are 100% different mixes. Looking again at the quote(s) from Uncut, and just listening here, I feel confident enough to assume (although I'll continue comparing with previously released versions to be sure!) that they're all fresh mixes from 2021 (per Plati's comments re: working on it "this year").

Generally, I'd say that the new Plati mixes feature more reverb than Visconti's mixes; they can sound a bit wider and more atmospheric, sometimes at the cost of clarity of the different elements, but YMMV. They're not bad by any stretch. A couple concrete examples of differences are:

• The Visconti mix of "Toy (Your Turn to Drive)" is longer than the new mix by ~0:47;
    • The Visconti (?) mix of "Let Me Sleep Beside You" gives precedence to the lower vocal during the chorus, while the Plati mix favours the higher vocal.
    Sad to hear about the fades/cuts in the BBC set, that's lame.

EDIT: Compared all the previously officially-released tracks, and they all fit the pattern above. The tracks from the box-set are all very consistent, so, again, they're likely all new mixes from 2021. Digging it, too, and good fodder for my own Toy:Heathen mashup!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  23. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I'm not Jmetamatic, but yes, the fade ins and outs of the BBC material are in the official release in the BA box.

24. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Absolute deal-breaker.

TonyCzar likes this.
  25. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

LOL. In that case, I can't wait to read the thread comments in the next few weeks :laugh:

Me too. It surely wouldn't have been a big deal to cross-fade them to make it continuous audio, would it? Maybe the reason will be clear when I hear the particular tracks in question.

Still waiting for my shipping confirmation (Amazon/UK, delivery to UK, order delivery date still says tomorrow) :confused:

footprintsinthesand likes this.