THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Yes, Isn't It a Pity was perfect, as was the meandering credits jam that followed. Made me cry too.

2. I'm glad I didn't invite anyone over to watch with me, since none of my friends are truly dedicated Beatles fans. I was able to appreciate things that would have bored them.

3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Very enjoyable…when original album, movie came out, I’d just as a young person aged 13 by LIB in the last year or two earlier seriously become a Beatles fan, collector of their records, went back and collected their old singles, memorabilia about them I bought from original fans selling it and saw movie like many here at the theater. I really loved and still do the LIB songs and rooftop scene.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Scott57 likes this.
  4. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart Forum Resident

Question: What drugs can we assume (or do we know) to be in the systems of each Fab during the course of January? Obviously, weed... but what else, if anything?

MortSahlFan and Dan The Man1 like this.
  5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

When George walked out, it became open season for Yoko to join in with the songs. It's as if she was afraid to do anything with George there.

6. joy stinson

Lol…yeah tripping the live fantastic…..With the passsage of all these years, we all can look back to this amazing album, movie and era and the songs and how Beatles created them. I never agreed with all the LIB song/album dissers on this forum and elsewhere….it was a sad but cool era IMO. I remember the LIB songs were played constantly on the radio then.

ODIrony and notesfrom like this.
  7. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I’ve been playing it continuously in the basement while attending to family matters, and sneaking down intermittently, then I just start it over. One exchange that I just caught: Paul walking up to John and asking him point-blank if he had written anything else. John says no, Paul warns him of an impending crisis, and John cheekily responds that he always performs best with his back against the wall. That’s worth the price of admission for me… how on EARTH did MLH elect to NOT include that conversation in the official LET IT BE film??? SMH

8. joy stinson

Various folks at different times have mentioned this here in old threads and posts but such discussions were somewhat discouraged, comments removed or threads eventually closed maybe but there’s discussion of this elsewhere online. Possibly some group members or so were on an upper type or possibly psychogenic type drug whereas another member or so was on a sedative type drug or alcohol. This is possibly a huge unexplored element in group problems and cross ways individual members dynamics then.

dormouse, JCo and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

Love the callback to "A Hard Day's Night"
    One of George's krishna friends is watching from a distance
    John - "Who's that little old man there?"
    Paul -"He's very clean."

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Another thing that occurred to me (and this might be a British weather thing) is that they entered Twickenham on 2nd January. Personally I always find it a struggle to motivate myself at the start of the new year and have spoken to fellow Brits who experience the same thing. The Beatles might not have been immune to this either.

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

In fairness, he most definitely had a lot less time to pore through the many hours of footage than Peter Jackson did.

12. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Interesting way of looking at it, I thought it just showed them as totally lost as to what to do that afternoon so they jammed and she joined in. Paul and Ringo could easily have put down their instruments and brought that to a halt once she got up, but they didn’t.

13. If I recall, the lunch after George quit was heavy on the alcohol, so the jamming afterwards was pretty lubricated.

14. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Are you referring to the mythical punch-up argument, or something else? PJ accepts George and John's conversation where they deny that a punch-up ever occurred.

15. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

In the Colbert interview Peter Jackson said he asked Paul about this and he didn't remember it at all. Jackson showed Paul the video and it kind of blew his mind.

16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Also don’t forget that MLH was actually there. His own memories will have crafted personal highlights as to what to keep in. He’s part of the relationship. Peter Jackson isn’t.

Dean R and OldSoul like this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Uh oh...coming soon: "Gimme Some Truth" (McCartney/Lennon) :shh:

18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Thank you. Just watched the Colbert interview. Amazing how the mind works that you can forget having co-written a classic song.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. joy stinson

All of this inspires me when I get physically better with balance to dig out all of my probably 30-50 b**tleg vinyl versions of…the get back sessions and to listen to them. It’ll really be interesting to see if this eventually raises the fans and general public’s from my reading…negative perceptions of this era, the album songs and the original movie. On this forum and the internet in general, I see the LIB album and songs bashed regularly, especially by seemingly younger folks.

20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

A lot of the more antagonistic bits from the original movie are left out in this version.
    Remember the bit where Paul was ripping into George in a conversation with John.
    And then the row between John and George, but Jackson kept in Johns bit where he said "If he is not back by Tuesday, we will get Clapton".

21. joy stinson

Doubt it…as always a mostly Lennon song that Lennon used on his later solo album…though song was with Macca’s help. This is similar to..back seat of my car and teddy boy that Macca later used on solo albums though begun in Beatles era.

coffeetime and Luke The Drifter like this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

John went Cold Turkey from Heroin not long after that.

joy stinson and Drifter like this.
  23. joy stinson

Well, as we already have those parts, I guess there’s no need to repeat or reemphasize them now. The point of this is to include additional footage I think.

Choba b CCCP and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I'm getting through now after 3 separate sittings - but yes, I wouldn't change it.

25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Have you seen the original 2.5 hour cut that MLH presented to the Beatles? In 1969, I could see someone asking that scene to be cut if it was indeed included. Who knows?

But, we surely can’t assume the Beatles in 1969 gave MLH the same artistic freedom they gave Jackson from 2017-2021.