New setup for my PC audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WhatDoIKnow, Nov 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

Hi all, I am currently thinking about moving my 5.1 Edifier system in the garage - because of the room I have my PC in, I can't use the two surround speakers and I wouldn't mind losing the huge subwoofer.

I bought an Asus Xonar D2X many years ago and would love to keep it, although I am reading that the whole "PC audio card" is just a cash grab. It has RCA, optical and coaxial connections, and so far I've been using the RCA connections and nothing else.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of small speakers, so a 2.0, possibly with Bluetooth to try and get rid of the cables altogether, but Bluetooth isn't a priority. The speakers would sit on my desk, so front firing bass?

As I'm sure you've gathered, I have few and very confused ideas, so any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I would play only digital files, mostly hires.

Budget... 200 to 300 dollars/euros, but I wouldn't object to spending more if that gives me more (if that makes sense).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

2. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

These JBL 305P monitors are excellent for the price: JBL 305P MkII | Powered 5" (10.16 cm) Two-Way Studio Monitor

Note that they are sold indiviudally, so you would need two. Still under $300 in the U.S., but I don't know about the price or availability in Italy. Anyway, a friend of mine uses them with her computer, and they sound terrific. They seem to be widely regarded as one of the great audio bargains. No bluetooth, but honestly I think bluetooth is no good for music.

Also note that you would need rca-to-xlr cables to hook them up.

sixthstreet and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ve had this set up as a desktop system, but am currently using it in my hotel room while on a lengthy work project, it’s very satisfying:

PSB Alpha PS 1 Speakers along with their matching desktop SubSeries 100.
    I bought my set here in the classifieds used for $300 which was a bargain. Retail is double that, but it might be worth searching for a deal on a used set.

The sub photo below is out of scale, it’s height is about 3/4 of the speaker height.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you @kamchatka, I've read really good things about those online!

5. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you @DigMyGroove, boy do they look gorgeous!
    Expensive, but gorgeous. And new models are even prettier. Thank you for introducing me to this brand!

DigMyGroove likes this.
  6. WhatDoIKnow

The JBLs are priced about the same in the EU, so that's good. And I think you're right, Bluetooth is probably not necessary since it's only the two speakers - a 5.1 is a lot of cable, but not two speakers.
    Powered speakers and/or monitors is the way to go, as I understand it. Don't know the difference but I'll do some studying during the weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.