David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

Ha!

Re: BBC, total speculation but who knows what condition the recording was in, if the family had any reason to suggest something should be removed, etc. I'll Frankenstein a complete show between it, the 2000 Beeb disc, and the audience bootleg.

2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The Plati mixes sound good to me. I just compared the Visconti mix of I Dig Everything to the Plati mix and the Visconti mix does have less reverb, as another poster already mentioned. I actually prefer the Plati mix (even though I like dry mixes) which seats the vocals further back into the music.
    The fade ins and outs are on every track on the BBC material, not just a few. My guess is the reason they did it is so people who are streaming it will have a smoother experience, rather than having a hard cut in and out. Streaming is king.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    croquetlawns and Jmetamatic like this.
  3. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

There's a 24 bit soundboard of the whole show in circulation. All chit chat included. It's a great sounding boot, probably on a par with The Swinging Pig, "Serious Moonlight" release.

4. melkor_morgoth

Actually...I think I've sussed it out! The reason why the BBC material is edited is because they appear to have used the same masters (just more complete?) as they did back in 2000 when Bowie at the Beeb was released! I've only compared the first two tracks so far, but while there are obvious mastering differences...they seem to be identical, mix-wise.

Plati was credited in the 2000 release as having mixed it. I'd guess (for whatever reason) they issued an incomplete concert back then, but the whole thing was already done and in the vault?

5. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Isn’t this disc a straight reissue of the third/bonus disc in the Bowie At the Beeb box from 2000? Pretty sure that had fades between tracks, at least partly because it’s incomplete.

Bowie1979 and melkor_morgoth like this.
  6. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

SNAP

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  7. melkor_morgoth

Haha! I wonder if the concert was recorded to tape, because there is a bit of drift speed-wise between the two...but when you line them up, it's phase-heaven.

8. Bowie1979

Bowie1979 Forum Resident

Yes the original BBC bonus disc faded the audience up and down between the tracks, so the fact that the new version does as well doesn’t bother me - I wasn’t expecting any different.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

they didn’t do this on the Live Adventures series so I don’t think it has anything to do with streaming. Why it would be in the vault like this, who knows, but if it’s the same mix as the earlier release it sounds like they didn’t put much effort into this part of the set.

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It is like this on the original cd. All they have done is add extra tracks in. They haven’t remixed it like they did with Stage.

11. melkor_morgoth

Could be a rights thing, or a last-minute addition, or...it was considered good enough?

12. nodisco

nodisco Forum Resident

I've just finished to listen "Toy", and I have to say that it's a very good album, I didn't have the same impression when the leaked files came out some years ago (even if the tracklist was slightly different many songs are the same, IIRC).
    The artwork is so bad that it's good, in a certain way, and the album itself is a pleasure to listen to.
    And the etched D-side of the double vinyl is perfectly ugly as the sleeve! :-D

Carlox, sortvinyl, Colinjpush and 4 others like this.
  13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The soundboard of the BBC show was available on YouTube recently ( I assume it's been taken down by now). It's great hearing the full show but he was struggling through much of it so I am not the least bit surprised that they haven't released it unedited.

melkor_morgoth and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's pretty lazy. I don't know why the show exists like this in the archives though. I'm okay with them editing out long between-song talking segments but the fades are going to be annoying. Although its' not like we're short on live material from that era so it's not a huge deal I suppose. But odd.

15. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

At what time should we expect the albums to be available on most streaming services, or YouTube?

16. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Azorbz likes this.
  17. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

18. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

What does the etching depict?

19. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

I do believe that releases on Apple Music is midnight eastern time.

20. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

They never put much afford into the Live Albums. Three of the Brilliant Live Adventure Albums are straight from the soundboard with some mastering.
    Liveandwell was mixed by Plati and Bowie back in the day and Something In the Air was mixed too. Same goes for Kit Katclub (they put no afford into releasing the complete show)
    Serious Moonlight from Box 4 sounds like they ripped the sound off the DVD of the film and attatched the Live Single of ModernLove to it

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

It's out, but only in 16/44 at this time. Does anyone know if there is going to be a 24 bit version of this one?

22. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Where is this?

23. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Streams & leaks

24. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

New releases appear at midnight on release day for me, presume it’s the same everywhere, it’s on Spotify for me now (11 mins after midnight here)

TonyCzar and Azorbz like this.
  25. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

Thank you, yes, it just showed up for me.

Jimmy Jam likes this.