The Turtles / Flo & Eddie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yeah, some internet sleuthing has me convinced the latest track on that comp is 1966.

Probably their strongest album, almost despite itself. The '80s Rhino version, for me, is a significant improvement over the original (which I played to death on 8-track back in the day).

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  2. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

After, but I usually file albums chronologically by release date.

Also re: the earlier Warren Zevon/Turtles conversation, Warren also wrote Like The Seasons, which the Turtles placed on the B-side of Can I Get To Know You Better AND Happy Together AND the Happy Together LP. The Turtles actually put out four singles in a row with a Warren Zevon song on one side:

Outside Chance / We'll Meet Again
    Making My Mind Up / Outside Chance
    Can I Get To Know You Better / Like The Seasons
    Happy Together / Like The Seasons

Here's the clip of Howard discussing Warren:

3. Schoolmaster Bones

^ Thanks for that. I've been digging some Turtles lately. It's amazing that they never made a bad album, despite being known best for their singles.

takechan and cwitt1980 like this.
  4. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

There's a real cool song on the "happy together" LP called "walking song" thats like a little mini opera that i think is a great record.
    I saw them a few years ago and i thought they were still great. I was glad to get to see them. Gary Lewis played too and he was really good as well.

5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

When I saw them a few years back it was;

Mark Lindsay
    BJ Thomas
    Gary Puckett
    Gary Lewis
    Chuck Negron
    Howard & Mark

6. Schoolmaster Bones

I first found this track as a B-side on one of their 45s. It's one of my favorite Turtles tracks.

7. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Loved seeing Flo and Eddie back in the 80's in NY!

brownie61 likes this.
  8. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Jeez, I was just looking at some Flo and Eddie videos and nothing was remarkable. Any suggestions?

I did find this interesting one....

Chief, rod and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

As a 60's pop music lover, the Turtles are IMO the most overlooked band from this period. Yes, folks know a few of the hits. However, they really did no wrong and they basically changed their style with each album. I think the only thing keeping them from a Beach Boys level of greatness is they didn't have a genius producer/writer in the band.

Chief, jeffrey walsh and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

Haven't read the whole thread, but if you like The Turtles you should check out their earlier recordings as The Crossfires (the easiest way is probably via the Sundazed CD, Out of Control). As well as some scorching instrumentals they did some vocals that pointed the way to the Turtles' sound.

takechan likes this.
  11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Picked up all the Turtles releases on cd recently, awesome band with great deep cuts.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't know what the heck my problem was but I strayed away from the post-Turtles stuff. About a year ago I bought the first album on Reprise. It's awesome. Recently I found Moving Targets and it too is awesome. I've been such a huge Turtles fan for a very long time. Personally I think they're in the top five of American pop acts out the 60's. They're probably the most overlooked beyond the few hits one still hears. Despite not paying attention to the 70's albums for so long, I'm really happy to be discovering new music by Howard and Mark.

Are the Care Bears albums worth checking out? I see they did a lot of those. I can handle some kid music if the melodies are good. I just think it's cool they were behind those albums.

13. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

If you are a Turtles fan search out Howard Kaylan’s Dust Bunnies. Also their Illegal, Immoral and Fattening or and the titled Flo and Eddie.

cwitt1980 and Hamhead like this.
  14. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

just found this while listening to flo and eddie, i must have missed this. a cover of Ride the Wild Surf was released last year with the recording apparently dating back to 1984

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Pretty accurate description @Chief. Txs for the list. The will help me bolster my Greatest Hits in my iTunes. :cheers:

pokemaniacjunk and Chief like this.
  16. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

Not sure if it was posted somewhere on here, but I found this video just now. Neat video

17. pokemaniacjunk

that must be new, i never saw it before. very interesting that they made a video for it.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Revolver had a lot of great stuff up, then he passed away. Not certain about the timeline, but this seemed to first pop up maybe about a decade ago, then was pulled, and luckily someone saved it.

19. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Revolver guy posted a lot of AMAZING video in amazing first-generation quality. But some a-holes kept complaining that he put the REVOLVER watermark on the videos. So he said "my ball, my rules, I'm going home" and that was that: No more video. Then he died and who knows what happened to the video.

takechan and cwitt1980 like this.
  21. pokemaniacjunk

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Glad to see he has a book coming out on June 20. I was just rereading Kaylan's and wished there was more information on the Turtles tale. Personally I think they are a top tier American band of the 60's and should be spoken in the same breath as The Beach Boys, The Byrds, and The Monkees. At least he seems to have a good attitude and is ready to forge ahead with whatever must be done.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I recall that and I'm certain some of those a-holes were on this forum. I wish I had downloaded the content when it was up.

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I have a VERY vague memory of seeing this on some TV variety show at the time.