Grammys under fire for Marilyn Manson nomination for Rap song of the year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, I didn't believe it until I saw a post from Abraham Lincoln on the Internet where he claims to have been in the same room when Morrisey said that.

DesertHermit likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That simply means that they don't want any reaction. But, double-standard, yeah.

I don't follow TMZ, but good to know.

When you talk about people like O.J. Simpson, the majority of the public is sometimes right.

3. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

But in Ryan's case, the guy has always come off as an unlikable prick in interviews back to the early 2000s. Everyone knew the guy had a massive ego and wouldn't want him for a husband, but suddenly with "Me Too", it undoes everything? I consider it no different than Prince being the textbook example of musical genius, some of his work is up there with the greatest ever recorded, but I've heard enough recollections both before and after his death from former collaborators and proteges that painted the guy is a self-absorbed egomaniac who would cast people aside once he got what he wanted out of them, and it's never hurt his reputation as a great musician, because at the end of the day, when we listen to Sign O The Times, we're listening to an amazing work of a man at the height of his powers, we're not thinking about how he unceremoniously fired The Revolution save Dr. Fink midway through sessions and alienated all his former collaborators because they didn't fit in his vision of what he wanted to do next. So why is Ryan different?

4. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

He's behind you. The guy in the big boots.

smilin ed and Man at C&A like this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

He seems to get offended/annoyed by the fact that other people get offended by stuff.

Grant and Andrew J like this.
  6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Grammys do the Tull rap.

7. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

MM has always thrived on attention and controversy so he wins either way.

Ron P. likes this.
  8. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

He's featured on a Kanye song, in an album that's partly Rap and partly Gospel. Crazy, I know. :laugh:

PH416156 likes this.
  9. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Not going to get drawn in to your interminable 'hanging arond at the butt end of the party' argument wankfests that you seem to like so much. Of course I read stuff, then make up my mind about them. You are basically asking why anyone would read anything and have an opinion about it.

This is different to if I made claims about myself, using such a safe environment like this - in which I invest no risk or attachment to my name. Even though I do have my name on my avatar.

10. Maccastarr

Maccastarr Forum Resident

no, you got it right

11. Maccastarr

Maccastarr Forum Resident

Is that you, Bizarro?

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm amazed this thread has survived for 8 pages! Must be the tryptophan overload.

Micah likes this.
  13. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Nah. Like all rock stars, he thrives on respect. Two pints of Propofol for Mr Manson please, barman.

Vox78 and smilin ed like this.
  14. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

You never want to let actual facts get in the way when you're slagging someone.

DesertHermit likes this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Artist are given a "blank" Grammy onstage and for press gallery photos. It doesn't leave the building. For the Oscars you keep the trophy and get your named ingraved backstage or at the after party. Weeks after the zgrammy all band members or appropriate producers etc.. Each get their own trophy mailed to them.

https://www.grammy.com/sites/com/files/rulesandguidelines_2020_linked_update3.pdf

Page 28/29 says who gets what and it's still not clear to me if MM could get hardware or just a "certificate" for a rap song of the year win.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It could be and very likely is, just like your Morrissey claim, an absolute load of bollocks you've just made up too.

DesertHermit likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Just trying to make any sense of your comment in the context of the board and you quoting opinions I expressed.

In that context, for your comment to make sense--at least while being consistent without further qualification, you'd have to better explain why you'd bother with any posts, since any arbitrary post could inaccurately reflect the person's opinion or disposition.

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Offense and annoyance are quite different, by the way.

19. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

You do not want to bring David Bowie in to this conversation. He had more issues in the 70s, that would ruin a career for good in 2021.

20. radickeyfan

Death is a funny thing, we forget all about all the "bad" , that our heroes did.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

For better or worse, it wasn't on many people's minds when he was alive.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think the arena/shed support act tour offers dry up for awhile. Some US metal fests might be hesitant as well. He will otherwise still tour on a similar scale as before, but mostly his own shows for those interested plus metal fests in Europe.

23. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're alluding to him dating minors during his Ziggy Stardust days?

24. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Intelligent point….even as someone who feels he’s the victim of a hit job, I’d have to agree with all this .

jumpinjulian likes this.
  25. radickeyfan

I do not want to put any numbers , but one of the books I read....scared me half to death...it amazes me , how they have kept this quiet

Penny24 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.