The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I used to love the speedy counter attacks down the United wings from Ole Gunnar Solksjaer back in the day!

2. All Down The Line

64 years on Gosling still wouldn't have got a lift at Kittyhawk but I love the clip!

DISKOJOE, ajsmith, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  3. All Down The Line

"It's understood!"

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Sounds a lot like they were in a Donovan bag. This would've sat very comfortably on the "Barabajagal" album.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Supersonic Rocket Ship"

A fantastic little riff and drum beat. I love the sound of the National Steel guitar on this tune. I never thought of the lyrics to be more than what they appear. A Ray fantasy where everyone is welcome and there is no hate allowed. Can't we all just be on the same trip? It's a beautiful dream to have equality and no suppression of minorities. We need this rocket ship now more than ever. Lighten up people, climb aboard, and let's turn this world around. It's a sweet song that is intended to bring a smile and cheer you up, and if it doesn't succeed there is always tomorrow's song.

Is this the last song to have a Caribbean sound? Is it their last to feature a steel drum? "Come Dancing" has some of these qualities. I don't think it's a steel drum, but it's definitely going for that sound. Is it just a keyboard on "Come Dancing"?

6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think Black Messiah has Ray going for a Caribbean accent, but I can't remember the instrumentation (it's one of my least favourite tracks on Misfits!).

7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Supersonic Rocket Ship
    Thirty years or so ago, I would have said this was one of The Kinks' weaker singles. But now, I find it to be an excellent song, love the sentiment and the instrumentation. In fact, everything about it. Seems like 'Apeman's little brother, but for me, this is the better song.

Back to those times thirty years ago, this was the Kinks hit you never got on any of the 'Greatest Hits', 'Ultimate Kinks' type compilations, you were more likely to get the three UK Arista chart entries on the CD than this one, so it was something of a hidden gem. I recall (many years ago), when presenting a radio show, playing this hit, to which the programme controller, who believed he knew everything about music, was astounded as to how he'd never heard this one.

And now it's in blockbusting Marvel films. Delightful.

8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah. That's a strange one that will be interesting to discuss. Musically it has a reggae influence. I don't recall there being any steel drums though.

9. CheshireCat

In all honesty, I've never considered the song in this way, and in reality, most likely never will.

DISKOJOE, Wondergirl, Ex-Fed and 2 others like this.
  10. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

First current Kinks single I bought so happy that I managed, in some small way, to help make this a hit - the last for eleven years.
    One of the best three tracks on the album and, bizarrely, omitted from the RCA comp Kinks Greatest.

Mark, surprised you didn't post a link to the alternative version found on the Legacy edition? This is really good. On the subject of different versions, many years ago I was in a friend's house and he had the Backtrackin' Kinks comp. There was another version on that album I've not heard since and I discovered that track had some of the intro mistakenly deleted by someone in the studio.

Anyway, great single.

11. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Here's a theory. Ray said he thought of the song while flying home on Concorde so what if that's essentially what the song is about? Concorde was the ultimate in first class air travel. Nobody traveled second class because there were no Economy/Coach seats. There were no hippies on the plane - just rich people, actors and rock stars. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone could travel like that? I know, I'll write a song to that effect. Sorted!

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Sounds a lot more plausible than some of the theories forwarded so far!

13. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

You don't know my name

Another one I never noticed before but really like now. I love the flute break.

Supersonic rocket ship

Pleasant but disposable. Reminiscent of Apeman, which I don't like much. I pictured a rocket rather than a plane, and figured it was a nice E.T. story à la Starman (same year, similar vibe). I like the phallus theory, which also came to my mind when reading the words. I declare the theory true.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

"Supersonic Rocket Ship" - my favourite track on the album.
    "Nobody has to be hip, nobody needs to be out of sight".
    I love that line.

15. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

I’m with you, this is my favorite Showbiz track after ‘Sitting in my Hotel’...

16. CheshireCat

Makes perfect sense.

17. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Between the holiday and a funeral, the last few days has been busy, so just catching up here

You Don’t Know My Name
    I enjoy this song, but yes this is a Rod Stewart meets Mungo Jerry tune. I dislike Rod, so I try not to hold it against this song. :D Just don't do that again, Dave! Not a top tier Kinks song, but a nice diversion now and again.

Supersonic Rocket Ship
    What's not to love about this song. I was hooked on this song as a kid. I'm sure this whole album was on offer growing up, but THIS song stood out to me as what kid wouldn't dig it?? Good stuff going on - great guitar sounds, horns, steel drum (?), fun lyrics. I could go on and on. And when I heard that this song was used in some Avengers movie, I was like - of course! This song has mass appeal.

Love love love Dave's backing vocals. superb.

and as to meaning...I think it seems pretty straight forward as far as a little fantasy about going up in a rocket with some cool people. All are welcome as long as you have an open mind. Maybe the rocket ship will keep going and they can land on another planet and start a better world? That last part is my take on where this ultimately goes.

This may be my favorite song, thus far. There's another song coming up that will be vying for best song on the album. Let's see if it can dethrone this one.

18. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Very true. My way of putting it is, I always feel as if he doesn't have a clue how to write a proper song, and in the end that's why his songs are so great.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone concerned, by the way, if it's still time. I had British Jewish ancestors who made the crossing to America in the early 17th century, I believe. I don't know if that entitles me to a piece of turkey, but I'll think of you all.

(I remember a musical called Mayflower that my elder sister used to play in her Brown portable cassette player during long holiday drives. It was in French but I guess it was an adaptation? All I remember is someone saying "je suis malade", "I'm sick", with a funny voice that made me laugh)

19. Wondergirl

Great find! never saw that before! Gosling seems like he was game for anything. I bet he's blast to hang with!

20. Wondergirl

Have to agree, this is not a stoner song. Ray wasn't a stoner...he liked his alcohol. And I just don't see Ray doing some as "obvious" as writing about doobies. Not his style.

21. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

You Don’t Know My Name
    Nothing special, and nothing objectionable. The sort of song that I might think of as filler, but good filler. Love having the flute in there!

Supersonic Rocket Ship
    Been a while since I hit a pass, but I think this qualifies.

CheshireCat, Smiler, Fortuleo and 3 others like this.
  22. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I just got back from Thanksgiving at my brother's. I was listening to Arthur in my car & I listened to Side 1 from my house to my brother's & Side 2 from my brother's back to my house exactly.

23. Wondergirl

Today's song is really bringing up some long ago memories. I'm recalling that I had a little movie in my mind about this song as a kid. Not sure how old I was at the time (I know I wasn't exposed to the album when it was initially released, but was more likely in the mid to late 70s). But these lyrics really spoke to me:

Nobody has to be hip
    Nobody needs to be out of sight. Out of sight.
    Nobody's gonna travel second class
    There'll be equality
    And no suppression of minorities.

Sort of like that Coca Cola song "I'd like to teach the world to sing"...and even the imagery from that commercial...the world being as one. That there could be equality resonated with me as a youngster. It's quite a heady ideal for a kid, and even more so, for an adult. I do know now that the human animal is a pretty violent and selfish creature, so this is mere fantasy, but still, I do like to dream...

24. All Down The Line

So whenever visiting your brother you could hear Arthur daily?

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Woosh! A pun that I doubt would cross the Atlantic - with or without a supersonic rocket ship :D