Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A quick Internet search claims Myers is worth about $200 million.

I would assume a lot of that comes from the AP movies, as I also assume he owns a good chunk of the profits!

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

He’s front and center in each of those posters especially the sequels and if you asked someone to name who starred in those movies more than likely the only person they’ll be able to name is Steve Guttenberg. He was popular for a few years. Tom Hanks he wasn’t but he was able to support a movie.

3. Oatsdad

Man, you're really reaching hard to push the claim Guttenberg was a movie star! :help:

"Front and center"...?

Dude was nowhere without the Stonecutters anyway...

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

How about I simply have a different opinion than you? I didn’t mock you like you’re doing here to me because I don’t agree.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I will always honor Alex Cox for Repo Man, but I have tried and can't get into his other films at all. I just don't think he is technically a very good film maker. Thank God HST wouldn't let him do Fear and Loathing. He is better as a film commentator and critic I think. Just one opinion of course.

6. Oatsdad

Not mocking you. Simply pointing out that your evidence -such as "he's front and center on those movie posters that he shares with a ton of other people!" - of Guttenberg's fame is weak.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I can't remember reading a single positive contemporaneous review for Spies Like Us.

lbangs and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Since Citizen Kane was distributed by RKO, how would Mayer have had the ability to destroy the negative?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mayer tried very hard to buy the film outright from RKO and have it destroyed, but the studio wouldn't sell. That's according to Robert Carringer's 1996 book The Making of Citizen Kane.

10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I’m not defending the movie, but Another 48 Hours is a notorious case of a film studio tampering with their movie. The film was severely edited down, with more than 30 minutes cut out. Maybe it was even worse at over 2 hours, but we’ll probably never know.

11. Scooterpiety

That was the point of her character. I thought she did a great job.

12. Scooterpiety

Whose career did it kill? Everyone in it continued working after it was released except for William Holden, of course, who died later that year.
    Preston had actually retired from films twice, after All the Way Home in 1963, and again, after Semi-Tough in 1977. He always preferred stage work. Blake Edwards had to convince him to appear in S.O.B. and he ended up stealing the picture. Besides Victor/Victoria and The Last Starfighter, Preston appeared in several TV films during the 1980s.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't remember that movie but the role of Blanch in Bonnie and Clyde comes to mind. Her character had this really annoying shrill voice. This was played by Estelle Parsons, who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Blanche Barrow for the 1967 movie.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Loretta Swit was trying to get film roles, as I recall. Hagman never made a film again, but of course he didn't have to.
    Sorry, should have said movie roles, so I guess Preston didn't do a film after that.

15. Scooterpiety

Preston made two theatrical films after S.O.B: Victor/Victoria (1982) and The Last Starfighter (1984) and four TV movies before he died in early 1987.
    Larry Hagman appeared in Nixon (1995), Primary Colors (1998) and The Flight of the Swan (2010) as well as several documentary, foreign and TV films.
    Loretta Swit appeared in five theatrical films after S.O.B. (not particularly memorable films, but theatrical films, nonetheless)

16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Furry Vengeance

17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It should never been made.. it almost ruined the X-Files

18. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

And "Peeping Tom" is much more meaningful and provocative. It had the temerity to question the audience's complicity in the crimes. That the scopophilic desire of images in themselves resulted in death. "Psycho" was just manipulative titillation.

19. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Lolita really damaged James Masons career. Its a shocking film with disgusting subject matter but whilst peter Sellers character is appalling, his career was undamaged.

Lightworker likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

IDK, I think that James Mason was just aging out of his career. Peter Sellers had his unique style, where Mason was just another dramatic actor from the 50's with nothing special as to screen appeal.

unclefred likes this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

A brief look at imdb shows that the premise is false. When he did Lolita he had almost 30 yrs in films and his last was 23 years later. He was making several films a year as well as TV work throughout. His first Oscar nomination was in 1955 for a Star is Born his second in 1967 for Georgy Girl and his last in 1983 for the Verdict.
    James Mason - Awards - IMDb

22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

This one did a lot of damage to what could have been a more successful career...

[​IMG]

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Pretty harsh appraisal of the source material (Nabokov novel/Kubrick film) here! (lol)
    Mason did have a chance to reprise his Lolita role amusingly in Michael Powell's last film
    Age Of Consent (1969) featuring a very young Helen Mirren...

[​IMG]

Scooterpiety and unclefred like this.
  24. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

If anything I would think that 'Lolita' helped Mason's career. It was a bold choice for a somewhat stodgy British actor, and he did well in the role.

25. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

And it’s crap wine for the most part. At least I’ve never had any that was any good at all. I believe the vineyards are the old Inglenook jug wine vines. Yuck.

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.