Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Hearing what Jackson and his team have done with the mono Nagra tracks makes me want a soundtrack more than ever. There are so many cool rehearsals. It’s possible that a soundtrack could be much more satisfying than what we have on the Let It Be SDE.

3. Not to Disney.

shokhead and kt66brooklyn like this.
  4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

While no one said there will or won’t be a physical release, I remain convinced there will be. Disney’s not going to leave that money on the table, and Jackson’s hinted at maybe doing a “Director’s Cut” with even more content.

It’ll happen, but Disney will give it a nice, long exclusive run streaming first. Eventually, it’ll come.

5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I don't see why they won't, there is still a market for Disney movies, Marvel movies etc on DVD and Blu-ray.

6. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Perhaps this has been said but, how long of time had it been since they had been together before they met on January 2nd?

Shpongle likes this.
  7. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

Even though it was amazing what they got out of the Nagras, there was quite a bit that was distorted. I first noticed it on 909.

Lewisboogie and GetRhythm like this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Ask yourself this. How long has Eight Days a Week been available on Hulu?

9. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

I've watched part one twice - how can I sum up the feeling? It's astonishingly good.

The highlight is January 9th - the day on which Paul demonstrates (were any proof necessary) just what a genius he is. On the previous day, Ringo had said 'I'd be happy just to have an hour of him playing the piano - he's so great' (with Paul in earshot). Who knows whether Paul was touched by that or not, but now on the following day he's there early, sitting at the piano with Ringo and Mal listening, and he runs through:

1) Another Day - was this its first airing?

2) The Long And Winding Road - first airing? - where he talks about how it's inspired by The Wizard of Oz

3) Golden Slumbers, which he gives nursery rhyme lyrics like 'Once upon a time' instead of 'Once there was a way'. First airing?

4) Carry That Weight - he suggests to Ringo it could be his song.

Then George and John arrive they work on Get Back - with the lines about Enoch Powell and the Commonwealth.

Then he works on She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.

And then he introduces another song - Let It Be.

What a day. Incredible. It's probably not coincidence that this is the first day Linda is in the studio, at first gazing intently while Paul sits at the piano, later taking photos.

Apparently he also worked on Teddy Boy and Her Majesty too on the same day, though they're not shown.

Time to watch it again, I think...

Gavaxeman, grx8, RobCos02330 and 20 others like this.
  10. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I don't know what a Sky Q remote is but wouldn't you use the same arrows you use to click on the show to play it in the first place?

stevenson66g and KirkK like this.
  12. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

I watched with Rafferty and Maggie, my two Cavaliers, but they didn't have much to say about it

13. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

They didn't play Dig A Pony at Twickenham.

Quincy and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

When George said he all his songs were slowish...Paul said yeah me too. Or something along those lines. All seem to come out on this day. (Let it Be was a day or two before I think).

Enjoyed it very much.

Bern

15. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Strange, I thought I just read about it early in the Get Back book.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep. It’s actually weird that’s not part of one of the anniversary sets, right?

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

No, it's not. They are taking these songs back to the beginning. Why won earth would they want to fast forward to something that a) did not happen for another 24 years b) is fundamentally a dishonest representation to begin with?

18. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I'm halfway through the 1st episode and it's pretty much Paul reeling off one preachy speech after another while everyone else is quiet - giving him all the rope he needs to hang himself. I'm actually surprised how tolerant John is about it all.

grx8, lobo and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  19. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I was utterly enraptured by this doc!
    One thing that struck me was George being the wet blanket.
    I'm totally convinced it was George who wanted out the most........and George is my favourite Beatle! LOL

Anyway....George comes up with this "idea" to string all these little fragments of songs together
    and make one piece out of them!!
    ....which would happen on Abby Road...........remarkable!!

also....just for some perspective.......The Stooges were probably working on their first album in the summer of '69

20. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

George comes off as the "downer" to me....
    he seems so contrarian.
    Anything Paul says George seems to be right their putting on the brakes or questioning him..
    George probably had such a backlog of songs he wanted to record and knew he and Dylan could get together
    he probably didn't care to be a Beatle anymore

21. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I just subscribed to the It's All Too Much tier of their pod.

Yay new ep! On this!!

22. not yonder

I've been comparing the content of the Disney programme Part One with the content of the Get Back book that came out recently.

I'm sure I read a quote on here somewhere about John Harris, the book's editor, saying the book was about twice as extensive as the film. Maybe that's true if you compare it with the original version of the film meant for cinemas, but if you compare it to the Disney programme, it looks like the book is much shallower. Here's some day by day comparisons:

January 2nd

The one thing I wish had been in the film is the first run through of All Things Must Pass, which is covered in the book. But overall the film has much more content. One thing I noticed is the difference in the order of conversations in the two media - so that while the whole thing is chronological day by day, there appears to be shuffling going on within one day's developments, though it's hard to tell whether the book or the film is diverging from the true sequence of events. Could be both.

January 3rd

I wish the film had Ringo introducing his 'Picasso' song that the book mentions, but apart from that, as with day 1, it's the film that covers much more. There are long passages of key dialogue in the film that were edited out of the book:

a) George saying the White Album was the only album so far he's really 'got involved in'
    b) George talking about the differences between him and Eric Clapton - saying Eric's 'good at improvising and keeping it going'.
    c) George talking about Billy Preston's role in Ray Charles' live performances.

All the above are key context for later events and it's hard to understand how they could have been edited out of a book of that price.

January 6th (Monday)

This is the day of Paul and George's 'annoying you' spat - but the book skips over huge parts of the relevant dialogue. It also leaves out key discussion about Magic Alex - how he first got involved with the band, and how George Martin has reservations about his reliability.

But there is something huge on this day that the book has and the film doesn't - Yoko's numerous contributions to the debate about what kind of concert they should end with. She puts forward a variety of creative ideas such as performing 'in front of 20,000 empty chairs' and saying the audience should be like 'The Invisible Nameless Everybody In The World'. None of this is covered in the film - in fact, there is almost zero Yoko content in the whole of part 1. Why? You can hear her after George leaves with her trademark vocals as the band freaks out instrumentally, but as for dialogue - zilch. Is it really plausible that Yoko just sat there for the first seven days making no contribution to the discussions at all? As the book shows us, it's not.

January 7th

There's a good bit in the book where George is talking about Paul, Jane and Cynthia looking like they're 'in agony' in photos from India - I'd have liked to have seen that in the film. By contrast, there is a nice section of discussion about possibilities for the concert in the film that the book doesn't cover - the part where it's suggested John performs a Jesus-like miracle at an orphanage and helps a child regain the ability to walk.

January 8th

The book has the section where they suggest Let It Be is recorded by Aretha Franklin - I'd like to have seen that in the film. Once again, though, the film's content is much more extensive. There is one section with Michael Lindsay Hogg saying to John 'Paul and you are not getting on as well as you did. This might make it better, whatever the wound is'. Once again, you're left thinking 'How can this have been edited out of the book?' That might be the only reference to Paul and John's relationship in the whole of the first seven days' filming.

January 9th

I'd have liked to have seen the discussion about John buying 'Lloyd George's old house' in the film (it's in the book), but yet again it's the film that covers the day's events in much more detail. The book mentions most of the tracks they attempt, but the whole 'Let It Be' section on this day is, for some reason, not mentioned at all. This is the day when Paul demonstrates his astonishingly wide range of musical talent (as mentioned in the post above) , and it's obvious why the book can't convey this in the same way, but still, you're left again with the feeling that the book has way too little dialogue for the bucks dished out.

Overall, it's inevitable that two different versions of the sessions will have different editorial priorities, but in terms of length, it looks like Peter Jackson has got it about right with the film. I hope this analysis is helpful for anyone still not sure whether to buy the book or not. Just a word of balance - overall I don't regret buying the book. The photos are half the story of course, but I think John Harris (who's a wonderful writer) should have found a way to include far more of the dialogue.

23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Regarding Dig A Pony...It was rehearsed at Twickenham.....(probably under the All I Want is You title. From the Beatles bible..

John Lennon played versions of ‘Dig A Pony’ several times at Twickenham Film Studios in January 1969, during a series of rehearsals which were filmed for the Let It Be movie. He ran through the song on 2, 7, and 13 January 1969.

nb2k, J Alesait and Rfreeman like this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Could you possibly repost this to Beatles - Get Back new book

25. not yonder