Bizarre Deaths of Musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mike sullivan, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

He fell so hard that he separated the kitchen from the garden?!

Murph, jeffd7030, Rochdale3 and 15 others like this.
  2. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Jim Ellison of Material Issue committed suicide by moped.

3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

5 pages and no mention of robert Johnson being poisoned by a jealous gin joint owner, or the devil reclaiming his soul

4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Graham Bond's demise seems bizarre to me. Jumped in front of a train. :shake:

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Victor Jara

Jara was arrested shortly after the Chilean coup of 11 September 1973, which overthrew Allende. He was tortured during interrogations and ultimately shot dead, and his body was thrown out on the street of a shantytown in Santiago. The contrast between the themes of his songs—which focused on love, peace, and social justice—and the brutal way in which he was murdered transformed Jara into a "potent symbol of struggle for human rights and justice" for those killed during the Pinochet's regime

• The American folk singer Phil Ochs, who met and performed with Jara during a tour of South America, organized a benefit concert in his memory in New York in 1974. Titled "An Evening With Salvador Allende", the concert featured Ochs, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, and Arlo Guthrie.
    • Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's Wrecking Ball Tour made a stop in Chile on 12 September 2013, just days before the 40th anniversary of Jara's death. Springsteen, guitarist Nils Lofgren and trumpet player Curt Ramm paid tribute to Jara by covering his song "Manifiesto", which Springsteen sang in Spanish. In a short speech before the song, Springsteen said (in Spanish): "In 1988, we played for Amnesty International in Mendoza, Argentina, but Chile was in our hearts. We met many families of desaparecidos, which had pictures of their loved ones. It was a moment that stays with me forever. If you are a political musician, Víctor Jara remains a great inspiration. It’s a gift to be here, and I take it with humbleness.
    • The Clash sing about Jara in "Washington Bullets" on their 1980 triple album Sandinista!. Joe Strummer sings:

As every cell in Chile will tell, the cries of the tortured men. Remember Allende in the days before, before the army came. Please remember Victor Jara, in the Santiago Stadium. Es verdad, those Washington bullets again.

Buddybud, Rochdale3, RVA_101 and 8 others like this.
  6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Terrible. :shake:

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Robert Johnson pushed his luck.

Icethorn and Fastnbulbous like this.
  8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

GG Allin died on a coach at a party after a gig, ODing on heroin. Some people at the party didn't realize he had passed, and were taking pictures with his corpse.

GG's bloating, unwashed body wasn't enbalmed, and was buried in the feces he smeared on himself at his last gig. He was also sent down with a bottle of Jim Beam, though those in attendance made sure he had a few swigs. He also had on a pair of headphones, playing a copy of his Suicide Sessions album.

Bizarre Death. Bizarre Burial.

Hey Vinyl Man and Jarra Lad like this.
  9. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

Lol this comment smh

10. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Marvin Gaye leads this topic by a landslide
    Nico ‘s death was also on strange circumstances. She had a heart attack while riding her bike. Not that she had had a very healthy life, tough

RVA_101, Icethorn and phillyal1 like this.
  11. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Tchaikovsky was driven to suicide by arsenic poisoning after a Russian count learned he had seduced his nephew. The Tsar's court spread the cover story that the composer died of cholera. That story disintegrated with the Soviet Union a century later.

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wil1972 likes this.
  13. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

It is a high risk industry, IMO. The crap that comes with it is legion compared to other career choices. I read a lot of books and watch a lot of documentaries on musicians that "make it". I would not wish that life on any of my children or grandchildren.

It can make a nice hobby, though. Many of my friends, including myself and my daughter, are doing just that. And yes, I have a couple of acquaintances that are in their fifties and have been pursuing a music career* their entire lives and are miserable souls indeed.

*I'm not talking about the "work a day musicians that play in orchestras, pit bands for musicals and plays, music teachers, etc. I'm talking about the ones that become at least semi-famous. My friend that got out of the industry in the mid-70's can tell some interesting stories. That's why she got out of it. Frankly, so do most of those "once popular" musicians that survived and "tell all" in interviews later. It's why I used the "Britney Spears" example. Then there is the Jackson Five, the Cowsills, etc.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I had a friend who died that way. Was about to have a concert of his music at Carnegie Hall too.

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm sorry to hear this.

Dan

elaterium likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

He was rear-ended, wasn't he? On Memorial Day weekend, and the driver who hit him got out of the car and tried to help him. At least that's what I remember. So that wouldn't reflect on his driving.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Chapin cut in front of a truck while abruptly changing lanes, and the truck hit him at 55 mph. Chapin's emergency lights were flashing so the theory is that his car was experiencing some sort of mechanical issue and he was trying to pull over. In a subsequent lawsuit by Chapin's widow against the trucking company, it was ruled that Chapin was 40% negligent and the truck driver was 60% negligent, so Chapin's widow received a cash award but both parties were ruled at fault, (albeit Chapin less than the truck driver).

But yeah, point taken... my counter-example was probably not the best example of irony. I mainly just wanted to make the point that there needs to be more than just the coincidence of a guy who wrote a song about driving getting killed in a car for it to be ironic.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  19. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Guitarist Robbie Basho, stroke caused by botched back massage.

Sean and phillyal1 like this.
  20. yerblues

yerblues Forum Resident

does it count that its rumored that Stevie Ray Vaughn took Clapton's place on the helicopter?

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

and thirty years later people still can't get his name right.

22. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Sorry. English isn´t my first language! I actually see the "fun" now :) Here´s quote from Wikipedia. "Brunkert died[1] after an accidental fall at the age of 61. He was found with cuts on his neck, causing initial suspicion as to his death.[2][3] Brunkert had hit his head against a glass door in his dining room, shattering the glass and cutting himself in the neck. He had managed to wrap a towel around his neck and leave the house to seek help, but collapsed in the garden"

23. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I’m sure all of the medication he had to take to recover from the spider bite along with the alcohol took its toll on his liver. :cry:

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

...and he is also referenced in the Fleet Foxes have a song "Jara" on their 2020 album Shore.

Lance LaSalle and John Fell like this.
  25. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Haven’t ready the whole thread, so apologies if it’s been mentioned - Jeff Buckley. On the way to meet his band mates at the airport, stops for a swim with his boots still on..gets dragged under by the undertow. Horrible, tragic. Still gets to me.