Grateful Dead on Vinyl: Comparing Pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wingtip, Dec 20, 2020.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's nice to have an objective opinion... but I just can't figure out why you didn't listen to that "Hey Jude" and think, hot damn this is a must have! ;)

Wait till you get to 3.2.69... 4th night and definitely NO tiredness there...

latheofheaven and Archtop like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’d say maybe give That’s It for the Other One and New Potato Caboose from 3/1/69 a second listen before writing off 3/1 (before it gets more expensive). It’s a sentimental favorite because other than the Live/Dead portions of 2/27 it was by years the first show I heard from that run and an array tape in my collection, but I do think that 2/27 and 2/28 are probable a bit stronger overall.

As for 12/10/71, I am happy to have it on CD as part of the box, but it is not as essential a show as most of those they’ve picked as vinyl releases. I did pick up the 10/18/72 Fox 2-LP set, and think that’s more essential.

3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Okidoke... I will make a point to check those out, thanks! :)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Thank you Sir, will do!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I grabbed Veneta right away due to it being an all-time favorite. Scooped up E72 Vol 2 later at retail before things went nuts. I should play that more often...

Ray29, jgrillo, lucan_g and 1 other person like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

As is not unusual, I agree with Rob's assessment here.

7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

No, it is not an iconic show.

8. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Strongly disagree good sir. The second set is amazing and was a prophetic template for the Europe 72 tour. The vinyl sounds beautiful.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  9. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

he didn’t say it’s not a great show, he said it’s not iconic, and it’s not. ask 1o serious dead heads to list their top ten shows and my guess is this wouldn’t come up. plenty of releases have been iconic, and plenty other great shows have been released which are not. not a value judgement, just a consideration of shows that have a lot of mythology and allure around them, based on the playing, cultural moment, band history or otherwise, and have thus grown iconic. this really isn’t one of those shows. the Saint of Circumstance release of 91 show is phenomenal, I’d recommend any fan have it on vinyl. that said, it’s not iconic like Wake Up to Find Out, featuring Branford Marsalis.

Coltrane811 and dminches like this.
  10. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Well said. I really like 12/10/71. But, the show has been in circulation for decades and no one really ever talks about it. I have enjoyed revisiting it when the box set came out but there are at least 4 shows from set that I find more interesting.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. Crosseyed

12/10/71 has always been iconic to me. I've listened to this special show for over 35 years on various hissy fm cassettes. And yes many heads did not talk about it but that doesn't mean sh_t. It's a dark horse and I love dark horses.

Anyways I totally respect everyone's opinion and I'm simply stating mine as well. Btw I was at the saint of circumstance show at Giant's Stadium and don't consider it nearly as iconic & have zero interest in having that one on vinyl (I do have the box set).

ODShowtime and uzn007 like this.
  12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

For what it's worth, many of my "iconic" shows differ from the consensus of iconic. 11/14/71 is one of my most listened to shows, but it never gets mentioned. Iconic is in the eye of the beholder. Or is that ear?

Crosseyed likes this.
  13. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

No one is saying that these are bad shows. No one is saying they are not even great shows. But up against something like Fillmore 69, Cornell 77, or Oregon 72, they cannot be said to be “iconic” - not in any dictionary based definition of the word, a word which a poster used in part to inquire about whether to purchase the show. Saying you think it is worth it because it kicks ass is totally fine, but iconic, again, it clearly is not. Iconic has a definition, of which “underrated” and “dark horse” do not play a part. Iconic means well known, well established, not only highly regarded but widely known to be. Not “eye of the beholder” but in the eyes of most who are knowledgeable and informed. The show in question, which is awesome and has been called a great pressing, does not fit that bill when we are talking about a band with a large list of far more widely, well regarded shows, be they regarded for the right reasons or otherwise. 5/8/77 is iconic, though many have suggested 5/9/77 to be the better show.

De Niro in Goodfellas and Raging Bull is widely regarded as iconic in those roles. De Niro in A Bronx Tale is a good role, but is not considered iconic.

14. Crosseyed

I get what you are saying and it's all good.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  15. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

What’s the consensus on the MOFi “From Mars Hotel”?

16. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

In my opinion all of the mofi albums blow the regular versions away.

CowboyBill likes this.
  17. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Not Live Dead. That is one of the exceptions.

ODShowtime, Mad Dog, jgrillo and 2 others like this.
  18. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

Going slightly off topic:

Is the tape hiss that's present on the 2003 CD release of 'Europe '72' also still there on all the vinyl issues? I know it's not there on the original CD issue from the 80's. But they used NR in that case.

19. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I agree. I owned this version but sold it because it just felt "off" to me. Of course, if I had waited a few years, I could have gotten a lot more for it. Still on the look out for an original mint version. But yes, typically the MOFI versions are all top notch.

20. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I guess I missed on this one. It’s only mofi I don’t have. I have the VMP anthology set and is only copy of live dead I have and it sounds great as well.

I would say specifically on the Mars Hotel Mofi; it’s the best example to compare. Phil sounds like a giant ax wielding warrior on the mofi and it’s clear and punchy and changes how that whole album sounds for the better.

Ray29 likes this.
  21. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Garcia is way back in the mix. I am not sure if MoFi got the wrong reel or if their mastering caused it.

22. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I think they used the remixed version that appeared in the Golden Road box. However, could that have been an analogue source?

23. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Be happy where you are. I have the MoFi and VMP and the VMP is the better of the two. In fact I would say the VMP is the best pressing available, unless you can locate a clean & quiet original (which has been very difficult for me - not surprisingly nearly all I have found have been played out on poor 70s stereos).

hhjack likes this.
  24. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

SJR, hhjack and uzn007 like this.
  25. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

The Mofi Mars Hotel I own was bought around 1985. At that point the other only Dead vinyl to be bought new was the Warners and Arista releases. So my only choice at the time to own that one on vinyl was the rather expensive Mofi version.

I remember first time hearing Unbroken Chain on that record. It was one of the greatest sounding records I ever heard. Up there with my fathers steely Dan Aja LP. Of course he had a way better stereo than I had. I still think it sounds fantastic. Better than my CD in the beyond description box.

adamos and ODShowtime like this.