Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. BASIE on PABLO RECORDS

Pablo 2310-891 - Count Basie Orchestra " Me And You" - rec. 1983 - Engineer: Dennis Sands

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Roscoe Mitchell Quartet - The flow of things (CD, Black Saint, 1987)

Roscoe Mitchell (ss, as), Jodie Christian (p), Malachi Favors (b), Steve McCall (d)

The flow of things is the result of a concert series that heavily featured Coltrane compositions even if all of the compositions on the album are Mitchell's. Roscoe's playing on the different versions of the title track might seem to be inspired by Trane's sheets of sound. The other members of the quartet don't sound like those of Coltrane's classic quartet but that's not a problem at all. All of them are fine musicians and I particularly enjoy McCall's drumming. He a favorite of mine: I love how he never seems to try to be flashy in any way but always succeeds at being interesting and attuned to the sounds of the other musicians at all times.

If I would have had this album on LP, it would have been a candidate for being hung on my wall.

[​IMG]

3. Pablo 2310-756 - "Basie Big Band - rec. 1975 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, vanhooserd and Mike6565 like this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Berthold, GnuHigh, avanti1960 and 8 others like this.
  5. pianomaniac

pianomaniac Forum Resident

A true classic - and the kind of Jazz my wife likes too... :winkgrin:

6. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

It might be heresy, but some times, I think I prefer Griffin with Monk to Trane with Monk... I certainly think that JG's recordings with Monk are among some of his best.

7. ILovethebassclarinet

You get me to wondering whether you file before you've listened; as I sometimes buy large quantities at one time (when I find ones that I want to do that with), 'catching up' sometimes takes some time, and if they're not filed, then it's harder to locate specific ones; I've thought about alphabetizing the un-played ones, but haven't actually done so; the same would pertain to LPs and CDs.

As to Eddie J, that's probably my fave of his records; I can hear Jeanine playing in my head as I type this...

And, having talked myself out of walking the past 2 days due to rain, I too will be forcing myself to do so.

davidpoole likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Took advantage of the Pi Recordings Black Friday/Cyber Monday 25% weekend discount to load up on some titles on CD:

Henry Threadgill's latest Poof!, the Art Ensemble's We Are On the Edge, Fieldwork's Door, and Tyshawn Sorey's The Inner Spectrum of Variables.

Then turned to listening to an old favorite, and still a favorite -- Muhal Richard Abrams' The Hearinga Suite

[​IMG]

jay.dee, eeglug, SeeDubs and 11 others like this.
  9. ILovethebassclarinet

I've seen this for years, but have never heard it, however, I did get a copy a few weeks back in a large order, but I haven't gotten to playing it yet, though I expect to in the next few days. I first saw/heard records with Roscoe back in the very early '70s, and even lived around here for a time in the mid-790s, when I saw him perform numerous times on the MSU campus, both solo and with others. A duo show with Braxton was especially memorable.

almost unison likes this.
  10. ILovethebassclarinet

Started filling a cart yesterday, but haven't concluded yet. Frog in Britain is also having a Friday to Monday BF sale, 20% off, though the shipping is atypically pricey at the moment; 7 pounds for 1, 22 pounds for 5.

Have you been keeping up with the Threadgill releases on Pi? I don't think that I've heard any of them from the mid-2010s on... I've also wondered if anyone knows 'who's behind the label' administratively; somehow, I have the impression that some of the musicians on it might be, but I don't know that to be true.

11. ILovethebassclarinet

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I love Griffin's recordings with Monk. Griffin's positively on fire.

But I have a special place in my heart for those '57 Monk/Coltrane studio dates. The recordings during the period with Trane, especially the "Trinkle Tinkle" come off, not exactly like Coltrane dates, but where Trane's new ideas and development are out front, more than Monk or the songs. It's really the sound of Coltrane coming fully into his own. I also think Trane was a great reader of melody in the way older big band players like Johnny Hodges were, but he doesn't always get to show it off the way he does on, like, the beautiful July '57 "Ruby My Dear," probably me favorite version of my favorite Monk song. (Also that trio "Monk's Mood" from Thelonious Himself). Those records are some of my favorite recordings of Coltrane's career.

peter1, Six String, Mark J and 6 others like this.
  13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Eighth and last cd of this wonderful boxset that I am very glad to have purchased featuring the third and fourth sets of Sunday, July 12.
    Who knows if there is someone in this forum that was there that day or the previous days...
    The group is as usual focused and offers great versions of his repertoire giving perhaps the best of itself in the long renditions of Neophilia and Nommo, this latter with stunning solos, really a great ending.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    jay.dee, eeglug, SeeDubs and 13 others like this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

Seems like the Basie Pablos would be "a no brainer' for a couple of box sets, if no one has done so yet, of course...

PeanutButterParty and davidpoole like this.
  15. ILovethebassclarinet

By no means was I trying to dis or dismiss the Monk w/ Trane recordings; I find it interesting to listen to how Trane learned to phrase with Monk over the time he was with him; early on, they weren't so close; in the intervening year or so, they melded much more effectively. I'm not one to 'like something less because something else is good,' I like listening to both JG and Trane with Monk, not to mention Rouse, Hawk, Ernie Henry, Rollins...

Six String likes this.
  16. Jay Bob

Jay Bob Well-Known Member

I did pick up the Monk album and it sounds great, thanks!

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, many of them, not all of them. The Zooid and post-Zooid Threadgill stuff, his kind of post-major/minor composition period, is a little different than the work of earlier in his career (even though that's obviously also quite varied), but also stylistically consistent with the more famous sextette and very very circus stuff. It's interesting.

Some of the recordings I really like, in particular This Brings Us To Vol. 1, which is one of the early Zooid albums (I like Vol. 2 as well, but not as much); In for a Penny, In for a Pound, which won a Pulitzer; and Dirt...and More Dirt.

I don't know either of them or anything about them but the pair that runs Pi Recordings is founder Seth Rosner and partner Yulun Wang.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Yesterday's purchases, probably the last ones of the year, from Amazon Italy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Anyone else dig on this album?

peter1, markp, Starwanderer and 4 others like this.
  20. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Robitjazz, peter1, Berthold and 17 others like this.
  21. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Probably my favorite Abrams album!

I also really like 2017's Double Up, Plays Double Up Plus. 2012's Tomorrow Sunny/The Revelry, Spp is enjoyable as well but has not clicked with me in the same way as Double up... and the ones chervokas already mentioned.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. Glad you're getting out. It is sunnier here today though 30 degrees, and my plan is a hot tub, and later walking.

I always listen before filing since one of my criteria to be filed is it has to be something I can imagine wanting to listen to again, in good condition, and better than other versions of the same recording (if I've intentionally bought a duplicate). My shortcut is sometimes I only play side A on a first listen. Some go to the trade pile rather than being filed, though the ratio is smaller recently, either because I'm getting better and picking strong material, or more forgiving. My purchasing got ahead of cleaning and filing in recent months. You're right about the challenge of not having items filed.

Right now I've about 200 LPs left to clean, and already got a record store visit in New Haven planned tomorrow.
    I start a day like this with grand ambitions to make headway, and end up browsing the internet while listening instead of industrious record cleaning.
    But on those occasions I do make headway, its very satisfying.

NP: Jon Hendrick - Cloudburst (Enja Germany, 1982 LP)

Recorded live in Munich with what I imagine are three local players that I'm unfamiliar with:
    Great name for a drummer: 'Kurt Bong' - pics reveal a straight-laced German chap, but sounds like one of the ill-fated drummers from Spinal Tap.

[​IMG]

23. WP: Freddie Redd - Piano East Piano West (OJC 1985 vs. 1956 press)

I inadvertently got a duplicate of this LP recently (just discovered in the filing exercise), but found Gary Hobish's 1985 mastering pales next to RVG, so it ended up being an upgrade. RVG is a lot hotter, but even when Hobish is cranked, Larry Bunker's vibe sounds lifeless by contrast to the pep brought to the original mastering.

[​IMG]

NP: Johnny Cash - Now, There Was A Song! (Columbia stereo original)

Not jazz, but happens to be what I'm playing.
    I recently put together a Spotify country playlist for my daughter after she revealed distaste for country. I was aghast and compelled to remedy the situation, which sent me back to recordings I hadn't heard in ages. I brought her round on a few singers, mostly those not deep country (e.g., Neko Case), but it is a start.

I'm a fan of the Columbia stereo sound of this era, and collect originals like most of the Cash titles.
    This is my first listen to his interpretations of these older compositions.

[​IMG]

24. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

peter1, Robitjazz, Berthold and 8 others like this.
  25. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante