The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I honestly don't know why they took that section out. I can only assume it was something to do with perceived flow

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Apple Music pull down lyrics doesn’t include it, either. Even though the entire song is played.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

It's possible that I knew most of these stars from watching Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes were a great way to understand the first half of the 20th century in terms of early movie stars.

4. Wondergirl

It's an embarrassment of riches!! It's a GOOD problem to have, I suppose.

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

George Sanders, for those who unfamiliar:

George Sanders - Wikipedia

Interesting background and life story. As some mentioned earlier, the fact that he'd recently died probably led to him being included in the song, very in character suicide note and all ...

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

6. mark winstanley

At this stage, I don't know how it would be feasibly possible to make a list... there would be twenty songs in my top five lol

7. Wondergirl

Ah, thanks! My vote - maybe do two a day and throw in (or throw out, perhaps. LOL) the silly songs as extras.

8. Wondergirl

Right? I almost become physically ill if I try to sit down and number my favorites for the Kinks. I feel like the songs lower down may be offended and I just can't do that to them. LOLLL

9. mark winstanley

Oddly that is how I feel.... it's pleasing to know I am not the only person with this particularly weird issue :)

10. Wondergirl

That's some suicide note! yikes.
    I see he was in All About Eve...and I probably need to watch this one. Seems to be considered an utter classic. Also it stars Bette Davis...and she and I have the same hometown.

11. Wondergirl

It's an affliction and there is NO known cure. :laugh:

12. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Candice does a beautiful job with this song. Here's the Blackmore's Night studio version:

13. Wondergirl

Ha! I do think I used to say "jewelry" that way as well. I think I recall someone even pointing it out and me feeling slightly embarrassed. When I hit college I decided to get rid of the accent. It's actually jarring to my ears. My parents still have a heavy accent though.

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

This has been posted before I think. I really like this New Orleans version:

15. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

Not even a cuppa?

16. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Personally, I won’t mourn unless and until we reach UK Jive and Phobia, and only then if they are as bad as y’all are saying. Thus far, right thru Showbiz (which was new to me) I see only a small drop in quality. I have been starting on Preservation Act 1 and, though there are a few duffers in there, it still has some stellar tunes. And even if Pres 2 and Soap Opera are as bad as some have insinuated (I haven’t heard them at all yet), I know a strong rebound comes with Schoolboys and then just heads into the stratosphere on a supersonic rocket ship with Sleepwalker thru at least Give the People (and probably State and Word since I know and really like a few off of those even if I don’t know them in whole). C’mon, every great band has some weak albums, songs or failed experiments. You don’t just write them off. Sure, Misfits ain’t Village Green, but I wouldn’t want it to be, when it has Live Life and Rock and Roll Fantasy and the title track among others. Those of you who want to mourn them at this point, have at it, it’s your loss, but I personally have a lot more rocKinks to do! … and just know that swords will be drawn if you bad mouth Sleepwalker or Low Budget, which are damn fine rock and roll albums with Ray’s wit and Dave’s scything guitar licks well on display.

17. mark winstanley

For the record. I see the question of how we're going to cover the live tracks has popped up.....
    For this live album, and particularly with so many extra live tracks, we won't be doing one a day.
    This is my proposed layout,

Monday
    Top Of The Pops - Brainwashed - Mr Wonderful

Tuesday
    Acute Schizophrenia - Holiday

Wednesday
    Muswell Hillbilly - Alcohol

Thursday
    Banana Boat Song - Skin And Bone - Baby Face - Lola

Friday
    Til The End Of The Day - You're Looking Fine

Saturday
    Get Back In Line - Have A Cuppa Tea - Sunny Afternoon

Monday
    Complicated Life - She Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina - Long Tall Shorty

Tuesday
    History (studio outtake)

Note 1 - There is another studio outtake called Sophisticated Lady, which is essentially an early version of Money Talks, and it seems perhaps we should look at that one there. I'm sure if I forget @ajsmith will remember.
    Note 2 - Muswell Hillbilly, Brainwashed, Acute Schizophrenia, Holiday and Alcohol all have two versions on the expanded set, and I do believe they are different recordings, so it seems it would make sense that anyone who wants to compare them can do when we run though the version on the original album.

I hope that works for everybody

Then we would be looking at

Wednesday
    The Great Lost Kinks Album

Thursday
    Dave Davies - Cradle To The Grave (Decade)

Friday
    Dave Davies - Midnight Sun (Decade)

Saturday
    Dave Davies - Mystic Woman (Decade)

Monday
    Dave Davies - The Journey (Decade)

Tuesday
    Dave Davies - Shadows (Decade)

Wednesday
    Golden Hour Of The Kinks Vol 2 (for reference)
    Preservation Act 1 introduction

etc

I hope that works for everybody. If there is some grievance let me know :righton:

18. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

Bravo, Mark! I was reading your post while listening to the song and had tears welling up also. A perfect song in everyway.

19. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

In many if not all of his roles (even as the unforgettable Shere Khan tiger in Jungle Book), George Sanders was the epitome of suaveness and, yes, style, with his caustic/cynical attitude, posh British accent and distant/superior stance. A wonderful, wonderful actor, and definitely a cinephile darling.
    And it's a tale of fame and ambition, too… Bette Davies plays the biggest star in American theater, overthrown by an ambitious newcomer played by Ann Baxter, who first introduced herself as Bette's biggest fan. Baxter is "Eve" and the movie tells us all about her and her devious plans to take her idol's place. Sanders plays Addison DeWitt (what a great name!), the theater critic who witnesses her ploys unfold and tells the story in a supremely well written voice over. He did get a well deserved Oscar for this.
    Marilyn is also in the film, in one of her earliest little roles… Which clearly makes All About Eve our winning film of the day! (below is a clip of a few scenes with them all)

20. mark winstanley

Well I certainly won't be lol
    Low Budget is among my top ranking Kinks albums, even with the quirky production that took me a minute to digest.

markelis, DISKOJOE and Fischman like this.
  21. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Forum Resident

Celluloid Heroes...This is a special song, that any songwriter would probably consider his or her masterpiece. Ray is a master and of course this is one of his many masterpieces. Definitely top tier Kinks. I went through a faze, where I would just play this song over and over...and it never got old. You can feel the atmosphere, the sadness and the gravitas so beautifully expressed by Ray. Bravo! Celluloid Heroes never die and Ray Davies' brilliance will never die as well...it lives on, on every CD, Album & Tape the Kinks created, that we get to enjoy again and again throughout our lifetimes.

22. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

@mark winstanley says "To me this is one of the most touching and human songs Ray ever wrote,"

That is also my #1 observation. I've never been much of a Hollywood guy, and most of the names cited hold zero or negative interest from me. But somehow and most ironically, Ray takes the most seemingly plastic of beople in the most artificial of environments and makes them utterly, completely human. This is a song that runs counter to everything I like, and yet even after all these years, it still never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

I'd also be remiss at this point if I didn't point out the parallel to a famous song from another fantastic Mark-led song-by-song thread: Rush - Limelight

All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely
    players
    Performers and portrayers
    Each anothers audience outside the gilded cage

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

When is final-thoughts-on-Showbiz time? Today? Or after live album?

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

You have it mostly right. Ray used the experience as a basis of one of the short stories in his 1998 book Waterloo Sunset (I think the title of the story was actually "Celluloid Heroes")

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Reading your post made me think of Ian Hunter’s ‘Old Records Never Die.’ Popped into my head.