Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

My take is that George Martin lets Glyn run the sessions, but has enough experience with them to know how to navigate around common issues to help the sessions run smoothly. I think they sorely missed that guidance at Twickenham, whether they realized it or not.

There’s a section - I think in Part 3, though they blur together a bit - where George Harrison starts to play his new composition Old Brown Shoe, and George Martin suddenly pops around the corner, eyes locked on George at the piano. It’s almost comical how he appears out of nowhere, like “hello, yes, what’s this new song?” George Martin looks very interested what George is playing. The Beatles just weren’t getting that kind of feedback from Glyn Johns, who tended to accept whatever they wanted to do.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  2. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Currently listening to the Gyle Johns LP and I'm actually enjoying it more than the Spector version.

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The part where George and Paul both address Brian as Mr. Epstein demonstrates the respect they had for him. It like the conversation goes from 0 to 10 on the serious scale. They are on film and they are not going to be caught
    talking about him in a casual matter. And Brian Epstein was only several years older than they were.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

6 years older then Ringo

5. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Agreed…

Dan The Man1 and fallbreaks like this.
  6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I'm surprised how few people are bothered by the chopping off "All I want is..." on both ends of "Dig a Pony". The Beatles performed it with this coda every time they did the song and I don't think it was Spector's place to make the edit. Did John sign off on this, or did he not care by that point?

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just finished Part 3, and when they started cutting audio of police and people on the street over the playing of the rooftop, I couldn’t help but laugh and think of all the people on this forum tearing their hair out at not getting a clean, uninterrupted audio recording of the entire rooftop. :biglaugh:

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As many others have noted, there will inevitably be an LP and Blu-Ray of the unedited rooftop concert to buy next Christmas or the Christmas after that. Don’t want to give away all of the goodies at once.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just hopes at the moment. Who knows what will be on it.

10. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Seeing the band discuss strings with Paul regarding The Long And Winding Road - and him not being in any way hostile to the idea - is it possible that some of the band could have suggested strings to Phil Spector when he was given the tapes? On the assumption that it was one of the ideas anyway ?

Brad Sonmor and Dan The Man1 like this.
  11. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

I think it was right choice to chop that bit off. It's a better song without it. I think Phil Spector actually made all of the right choices. But even saying that, I think Giles Martin improved the sound of the record.

12. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

SPOILER ALERT Part 3 - I was rolling on the floor laughing after hearing the duty officer ask the receptionist “Do you mind if I come in?”

Auntie Pho, OldSoul and supermd like this.
  13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

My read of the conversation is that John was saying jazz and improvisation is easy, while George was saying it wasn’t.

J Alesait likes this.
  14. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Could well be to do with waiting half a century for this not to happen & well, you know the rest :shh:

BeatleJWOL, Paul P. and supermd like this.
  15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Same with George.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There’s a few swear words and f-bombs, and maybe one or two mild sexual references. Otherwise, it’s fine.

BeatleJWOL and Panama Jack like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Minor cursing.
    Smoking.
    Satire song about immigrants.
    Occasional tongue-in-cheek or off-color joking about "touchy" subjects (which likely would go over a young person's head).

18. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

There's drug references and tonnes of smoking and some swearing. But not too bad.

Panama Jack likes this.
  19. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

So polite & civilized. Really, the way minor infringements should be approached, yeah?

20. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I’d much prefer this Christmas!

steve_miller likes this.
  21. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Might be more suited if these guys were in it instead!
    [​IMG]

Panama Jack likes this.
  22. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Glyn is nominally the producer. George Martin is introduced as an "A&R Rep" at one point in the documentary by a Beatle. According to Wikipedia, an A&R rep is:

"Artists and repertoire is the division of a record label or music publishing company that is responsible for talent scouting and overseeing the artistic development of recording artists and songwriters. It also acts as a liaison between artists and the record label or publishing company; every activity involving artists to the point of album release is generally considered under the purview, and responsibility, of A&R."
    Cheers,
    Paul

OldSoul and imthetxman like this.
  23. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

(Note: This is in addition to what's been noted about the smoking, light cursing, references, etc.)

To be honest - younger kids may be bored with it.

My 14 year old daughter wasn't interested in much of part 1, warmed up and watched a bit of part 2 with me, and watched all of part 3 with me.

Cheers,
    Paul

BeatleJWOL and Panama Jack like this.
  24. RAT1

RAT1 Forum Resident

Watched all 3 parts, great stuff ;-)
    All the episodes are maybe a bit too long for a average fan, but I can take a few hours more easily ;-)
    Bring on a 24 hour Dir. Cut please :agree:

25. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Not how I recall things going down back in the ‘70s when I was a kid here in the US. :D

Vinyl Socks likes this.