Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I recall the band (on the Nagra reels) are making fun of Lindsay-Hogg, indicating they believe he's gay aka a friend of Dorothy's. Is this in the new movie? ;)

2. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

No.

3. Auntie Pho

Auntie Pho Metal Dad

I love seeing the joy on her face, she is a fan of this band, and has been there almost the whole way. The way she is rocking out during the play back was lovely.
    Billy too, seeing him having a blast, loving this band, and so intent on getting things right.

Cledwyn, baitzahn, mrgroove01 and 3 others like this.
  4. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

From my determination, it appears the trailers that were released last year were obviously the unfinished product, put out quickly just so they could have something. The trailer put a generic noise reduction filter on that blurred the entire image. The audio was completely out of sync with the instruments on the trailer. The actual finished product looks a lot more sharp (at least not as strong blurring), audio is in sync with the band. It looks great. I will never judge a film based on a trailer again. That being said it could look different blown up on a television set. Thankful this history was captured on film instead of tape.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  5. Om

I also should admit. Had it gone straight to theatres we would have probably only seen a two hour movie instead of a full six hour documentary. So it's a catch 22. I won't complain too much.

Lewisboogie, tedg65 and chris8519 like this.
  6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

They certainly added some artificial grain back into the image, which helped a bit. The noise reduction is never as distracting as I feared, but I can still tell that they scrubbed it, and all the other archival film clips look nicer than the actual Get Back footage. Some issues also seem to have been caused by cropping, bad focus, and low light.

whisper3978 and Om like this.
  7. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

There’s obviously stuff missing from this broadcast. The point where George asks John has many tracks were good enough was only heard in the broadcast but in the trailer, it was seen. I didn’t see Lennon say none, I only heard him.

Pawnmower, DK Pete and J Alesait like this.
  8. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

“Brother Malcolm comes to me” :angel:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I’m more than an average fan, and I think it’s too long by hours. Absolutely fascinating in spots, but a downright slog to get to them. And the rooftop concert was a blatant bait and switch.

Grateful we get to see it at all. (Except the Yoko screamfest jams. Never need to hear/see that stuff again.)

Gila likes this.
  10. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

And you could give it as a gift (tossing in a a timely reference).

Scott57 likes this.
  11. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

I tend to agree that this is how a documentary would have to handle the rooftop concert. This is where a DVD comes in. The full, uninterrupted concert viewed from a sweet spot on the roof is the perfect supplemental! That's where my hopes have been all along.

12. Greyrat

Greyrat Forum Resident

"Nobody want's do listen to just jamming" - G. Martin

13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I don't quite remember, but wasn't PJ talking only about the improbability of a physical product that was an extended version and one released in the near term?

DK Pete likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm not sure now; there have been quite a few interviews with him (and some pretty lengthy) to keep track of. For now, I'm hoping on the release of the original film so we can get great looking, restored versions of the complete-take three songs that were done the day after the rooftop. I'm actually wondering if Jackson didn't hold back from using them through an agreement with Apple...meaning they'd be used as a selling point for the original film reissue.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm also wondering if there was talk about performing an all-electric version of For You Blue on the roof but vetoed by George for whatever reason. They certainly had it down and it would have made for a very cool live performance with Billy on electric piano and George throwing in a nice solo.

fmfxray373 and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..yea, I also wanted to comment about the joyous few seconds Maureen's smiles and bopping bring to the film. It seems that of all the wives/girlfriends over the years, she may have been the biggest true "Beatle fan".

Cledwyn, baitzahn, Auntie Pho and 4 others like this.
  17. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

and this was George who first mentions this to Paul isn't it?
    George did seem to have an ear for what little thing was needed in many Beatle songs

DK Pete likes this.
  18. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Just a question……when it first starts and they all arrive at Twickenham, how long is it since they last all saw each other?

Is it since they finished the White Album? If so, when was that?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  19. Om

That's the most unfortunate part. I would have preferred film grain every time. I know it will never be released commercially, but for history's sake I hope they have a master copy with no effects applied to it.

Plus they cropped it for 16:9. I know that was not the original aspect ratio. I too notice bad choice of cropping in spots.

Gila and OldSoul like this.
  20. Om

In comparison a proper 4:3 scan with film grain retained. Looks 1000% better.

21. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I wondered that as well. Haven’t seen any responses yet.

22. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

On the whole, the Let It Be SDE is disappointing, IMO. So much of the music from Get Back makes it even more disappointing.

Cledwyn, Gila, thesisinbold and 2 others like this.
  23. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

And the Twickenham stuff sounds so much better in the movie than in the box!

It really seems like some internal rule Giles had was "if it's in Get Back, try not include it on the LIB SDE."

TheLoveDrags and Lewisboogie like this.
  24. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Great question. It's fairly clear that John and Paul got together at some point between the end of the White Album and Jan 2 because they'd apparently jammed on "Hypocrites/Gimme Some Truth" at some point in Nov/Dec 68 presumably, based on the dialog about the song and Paul's familiarity with it. I don't think Get Back shows the moment John inserts "Everybody Had a Hard Year" into "I've Got a Feeling" so that's another one John and Paul might have played around with informally in late '68 before the sessions began?

Yoko had her miscarriage in late Nov '68 and the Stones R&R Circus was held Dec 11. Not sure if those dates have any relevance on when the Beatles would have met up post-White Album...

25. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I know this will be highly controversial around these parts...but I think the difference really comes down to personal preference.

Aside from a handful of moments throughout the three part series that stuck out as a bit too "over-processed", I thought the whole thing looked absolutely fantastic, stunningly clear and wholly immersive. I didn't feel like I was watching some old film of the Beatles (as I do with the version you linked above); instead, I felt like I was there. And that was awesome.

I'm sure the fresh audio mixes extracted from the Nagra reels (also the result of tons of digital processing) played a big role in that, too.