More speaker placement tweeting. ( removing the tv)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Nov 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since some of you found my last thread interesting I thought I’d post more of my experiments with speaker placement and room tweaking.

I’ve removed my tv in the past in my room to get an idea of how things sound without it.
    But I didn’t have my speaker placement game up to par as much as now.

the reason I did this is because Proac recommends for my speakers to have no rake angle.
    I have a slight rake to them btw. And when I say slight I mean slight. Measuring the height of the laser beam from on top of my speaker it’s around 38.5” at the speaker. At the rear wall after the slight rake it comes in at around 39”. So that’s a half inch difference.
    Does it make a difference in sound? You bet it does. I had it slightly higher before and decided to bring it down just a touch to hear the diff.

doing this also made the reflections come down a bit lower and I could tell my tv was cutting the half part of the orchestra and making it brighter where the tv began. Yes you could actually tell.

but the overall sound became smoother. More balanced.

I took the tv out and the sound was way more balanced and that half orchestra glare was gone.
    Everything sounded seamless. More depth as well.

I kept the tv off the stand so I could do some measurements later on today to validate what I am hearing and out of curiosity.

also without the tv, getting the center sweet spot is 70% easier at least than with the tv on.

I’ll have to put the tv back up at some point but it was a very interesting observation for me.
    Observation two.
    When I had the tv on the stand in between the speakers, the soundstage sounded better with the touch more rake I had, because it seemed to include more of the tv . When I lowered the rake angle the sound was now more evenly distributed on the tv and below it. Which made the sound worse. Cause it seemed to cut the soundstage vertically in half. If that make sense.

thanks for listening to my rant and room/speaker experimentation.

And I know this is a no duh for some here.
    It’s just pretty eye opening when you actually hear the differences.

2. Tone?

Any advice on how high or place the tv?

should it be above woofer level?

3. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Think of the TV screen reflected sound as another "channel" or a third center mounted speaker if you will...
    It follows the TV (if possible) should focus at the same height as the apparent center of your main speakers imaging which is typically somewhere above the woofer and below the tweeter.
    That is not typical as most TV screens are quite a bit above your main speakers.
    If your TV screen simply HAS to be high---that's OK---you have a lot of company.

However, it also matter what ANGLE you set the screen to reflect at.
    So if you can't adjust the height at least you can angle the screen to better match your left and right speakers.

Here's a suggestion:
    If it doesn't screw up your TV watching try to get the screen to "point" at your ears.
    And also aim your speaker cabinets at your ears.
    This will help keep the entire front of the soundstage at the same plane for more realism.

This works for maybe 90% of the installs I have put together.
    But sometimes (for example, speaker time alignment dictates the speakers be tilted BACK) you just have to sit in front of the setup and listen for improvements a little at a time.
    I would PREFER the speaker cabinets be tilted the same as the TV but if not---keep experimenting!

Your goal is a solid MONO phantom "center channel" effect.
    (Play a mono recording to check how good your work is...)
    And to place the speakers and reflector (the TV) so that the front soundstage is seamless with instruments spread out nicely and clearly.

I use the INSIDE of an equipment cabinet to reflect that center fill, instead of a TV screen.
    I cleared off some shelves inside there to make a nice flat space to reflecdt sound.
    The reflection is right where my main speakers are.
    BAM!---perfect soundfield!
    THIS STUFF WORKS!

Tone? likes this.
  4. Tone?

Thanks for the reply man!

problem is my speakers are weird.
    Proac DT8’s.
    So it’s mid woofer tweeter, bass woofer

right now the tv is above the tweeter but still within the mid woofer.

now what?

5. Tone?

Oh and I have also completely gone nuts with the angle of the tv as well.

remember who yer talking with here. I’m pretty OCD. Lol

So I’ve measured that with a laser as well.

6. Tone?

Bueller ?
    Bueller ?

lol

Should I raise my tv then?
    Seems like I have no choice

thanks !

7. Doctor Fine

Have you considered replacing the TV with a projector screen, possibly a roll-up or wall hugger?

Tone? likes this.
  8. Tone?

I have but alas I will move at some point in the next year or so.

good question

9. Doctor Fine

So you want to raise the TV in hopes it will stop interfering with your front timing?
    It is one big reflector and it is in the wrong place...
    Have you considered coving it up with something attractive?

izeek and Tone? like this.
  10. Tone?

I could cover it up. Yes. No prob there.

yeah I figure I can bring it up or down.

down will add more evenness to the reflections.
    Up will try and take it away from the reflections

Doctor Fine likes this.
  11. Tone?

I guess I just have to experiment.

about three inches down on the tv and I’ll have all the top mid woofer covered.
    Right now the tv is about 3/4ths at the woofer height. About two to three inches will be at around 100% woofer height. Might be the best way to go now that I think about it.

12. Tone?

Whereas I’ll have to raise the tv over 5 inches to get over the woofer height.

if that makes sense

13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Up until a few days ago, I had my audio system on two 2 x 2 Kallax units sitting side by side, my Monitor Audio Silver 300 Series Speakers on either end of the Kallax units.
    I decided to utilize a vertical audio rack I had sitting in another room and move the Kallax units to another place in the room.
    Now the speakers have nothing around them, sitting at least 3 feet away from either side of my audio rack.
    Wow..what difference..The sound stage, imaging, everything has opened up.
    The reason for the change was for aesthetics and the result was such an improvement in sound.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

How bigh is your TV? Mine is only 32'' and covered with a thick towel, but I'm not sure whether the towel makes any difference at all. My tweeters are controlled directivity horns so very beamy, but the woofers cut at 1600 hz so mids may or may not be reflecting off the screen, esp when uncovered for concert DVD viewing (inevitable right ?) Half of the higher woofer is parallel to the TV; the other is way below it.

15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Something to consider is where is the best place for the TV/Video monitor! The screens should be at a parallel level to the viewing angle to get the best quality. I could have raised mine up a few feet but it is not optimal for viewing. Even using simple two channel stereo, I get a nice floating center image from the center of the screen. But I do music and movies in one system so there's that. If a TV is screwing up your sound, get it out of there and buy a soundbar.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.