Let It Be/Get Back 50th Anniversary Releases! (Content and Sound Quality Discussion Only)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce Burgess, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Stated out loud in our living room during the first episode: "Dude, it's like we're chilling with The Beatles".

2. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

At the end of the rooftop concert, and I could watch hours of this. That Peter Sellers moment was awkward verite with some backstory missing perhaps...

They all come off well considering they're being filmed but that private convo between John and Paul was extraordinary. John was the even keeled one. But Paul was pretty self-aware to later call out what people would be saying about Yoko 50 years from 1969...

The single most revealing McCartney moment imho was after George left and they were sitting forlorn and Paul starts going down a list of why it was important to keep busy, not be "wandering aimlessly" and he gets progressively more intense. You can see his pure drive and frustration as the opposite of Lennon's floating upstream. But George is ready to go.

They do snap into band mode when Billy Preston shows up. He gives great energy.
    And I was thrilled to see Jackson give the fun rambling "Dig It' a long overdue moment.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  3. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

It’s nice to see laughter and fun moments on 01/31. The original flick as well as the footage from Anthology made it seem like an extremely boring atmosphere and also, that the others were forced by Paul to play. I guess the lighting also played a role in that mood.

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm not sure that's what he said. In the long interview with Ken Michaels he said Disney claims people don't buy DVDs of extended cuts but he didn't rule out physical media altogether. In fact he said the original Let It Be movie is expected next year that way.

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That's a puzzling criticism.. the trailer was a montage of clips under one song. They weren't all supposed to sync up.

Lewisboogie, zobalob and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes that's how it sounded to me.

7. JimBop

JimBop Forum Resident

I'm unable to find the information anywhere but I'm sure I read once that John & Yoko moved temporarily into Paul's house after Kenwood had been sold, not sure if the dates correspond with the GB project though.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Okay - I've spent waaay more time than I should have on this - but hear me out.

I started re-thinking what I knew about Glyn's Get Back and Phil's Let It Be after watching the documentary.

And - a thought exercise occurred to me. What if the Beatles hadn't given up on Glyn? Instead - what if they actually gave him some additional guidance after his 1970 compilation?

So - bear with me here. The Beatles listen to Glyn's 1970 compilation - and the following dialog happens:

Beatles: Ditch that version of Let It Be - use the new single mix instead.
    Glyn: Okay - done.
    Beatles: Also - since you mixed a new version of Don't Let Me Down - use that as well.
    Glyn: Grumble - okay done.
    Beatles: Now - finally - we like our rooftop takes of Dig A Pony and I've Got a Feeling - plus our Apple performance version of Two Of Us. We gave them to Phil Spector to mix while you were in the USA - use those instead.
    Glyn: Really? Phil "Wall Of Sound" Spector? Are you kidding me??? (listens) okay - those aren't terrible. I'll try it with those - remix them later.

And thus - we have this:

The Beatles - Let It Get Back

Cheers,
    Paul

Library Eye, ronbow, Cledwyn and 11 others like this.
  9. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident

Just a guess, but they did have a Christmas Party at Apple, I believe, in 1968 where the Hell's Angles were there.

10. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

I prefer it without. I think Phil made the right choice in this instance.

rednoise, DK Pete and RoyalScam like this.
  11. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Did anyone pick up on the part where Paul got short with George Martin? He said something along the lines of " I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to John( paraphrasing)?
    Kind of reminded me of John telling Brian Epstein to stick to the percentages when he told them a particular take wasn't good enough...

Mike M likes this.
  12. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Yea Paul seemed extremely agitated that GM was even there!

13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Was it "The Walk"? I think it was played over the credits at some point.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

After part 1 was Palace of the King of the Birds.

15. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Just finished this yesterday.
    For the most part, there are some interesting moments between the 3 parts, but I still think both documentaries really shine when the Beatles play on the roof.
    For Peter Jackson's Part 3, I loved using the 3 different screens (Ala Woodstock)
    That said, the whole subplot with the people onthe street and the cops is a waste.
    At least the original verson mostly just showed the Beatles playing.
    My favorite song they did was Don't let Me Down and Peter Jackson cuts away to a cop trying to stop the show. Who cares!
    I hope there is another cut that shows the rooftop uninterrupted.

BeatlesObsessive and mshare like this.
  16. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Would love to see LIB Naked reissued. The 50th is a little lacking for me.

BellaLuna and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I never need to hear Don't Let Me Down again (one of my least fave Beatles songs) and the Beatles performance on the roof I honestly find the least interesting thing about the whole project in terms of viewing. The police stuff was contrived in 1969 and these takes are not where I would go for any great audio.

I still think the boys dedication to Magic Alex is hilarious and a sign they can't quite admit they've been conned. I love George Martin's low-key "I don't think we should take a chance on hoping this will work" critique of Alex.

Ringo on Allan Klein is priceless: "At least the conman we'll be on our side this time!"

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    grx8, Bakeryrec, JorgeGvb and 2 others like this.
  18. GARSTON6922

GARSTON6922 Forum Resident

Part Three, in which Ringo's been on the Beans again.

Chuckee likes this.
  19. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident

Listening to and enjoying this, thanks Paul

20. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

It wasn't a private conversation between John and Paul. Ringo, Linda and Yoko were all there too, but they've been edited out.

BellaLuna, DTK, Adam9 and 1 other person like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Totally agree…I always found it disrupting to the song.

boggs and Floatupstream like this.
  22. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

The doc implies it's just John and Paul being recorded by the flowerpot?

23. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Yes, it does.

J Alesait and DTK like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think this track sequence will play beautifully. Nice going!

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

How much overlap is on the box and the movie?