Best sci-fi movie that was NOT a franchise

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

So much wrong with that movie. Looks nice, badly written.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Idiocracy (2006)

[​IMG]

finslaw, jmcecil and will_b_free like this.
  3. Children of Men
    City of Lost Children
    Gattaca
    Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
    Dark City
    The Omega Man
    Soilent Green
    Slaughterhouse Five
    The Prestige

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Morpheus, Bhob and darkmass like this.
  4. This almost made my list as it has several elements I love, but for me it falls short. I think it’s overly complex and the payoff is hardly worth the effort. Still some fantastic scenes and brilliant execution.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

As with most Nolan films, it is slight of wrist type of deception; misdirection of the audience. Like in Prestige. What I mean is that it's not really a science fiction movie after all; it's a multidimensional love story dedicated to dads and daughters. I can't watch it without turning into a sobbing wreck. Nothing about it falls short for me. Every scene and exchange of dialog is paid off and justified. The sci fi elements amount to icing the cake.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I never ever should have included Serenity in my list. Maybe if I hadn't liked Serenity a great deal, and I did like Serenity, while at the same time fairly seriously disliking the Firefly television series (except for the final three episodes--which somehow worked for me) I might have been more inclined to consider Serenity part of a franchise. My apologies to the OP. I like Serenity, but it didn't belong in this thread. Not only that, but Firefly seems to have spun off into several other franchise elements.

But I have a patch. My two replacement additions to my post #58 list are not franchises--though there's a twist or two to that...

Galaxy Quest - not in any way a franchise element, yet it's certainly about a franchise.

Fast Color - trailed here

Fast Color is not a franchise, though some two years ago it looked like it was on its way to becoming an Amazon Studios television series produced by Viola Davis. No mention of it recently, no doubt sidelined by Covid. Fast Color is a very worthwhile watch in my opinion--see it before it becomes a television franchise and all will be good.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

let's go for 4!

8. Michael

It! The terror from outer space.

BwanaBob likes this.
  9. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

I was watching Ray Bradbury Theatre on Comet TV this morning, thinking that
    Fahrenheit 451 deserves recommendation.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Sequels as in plural? There was the remake in 1982 and the prequel in 2011. What am I missing?

11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Well it did have a remake called "Alien". ;)

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

@Vaughan

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

So there's the original film. Then the Carpenter version, which was a sort of remake. Then a sequel in 2011 (some say it's a prequel). A third film is in the works, but I just read it's a "reboot", so I guess they're going to start the whole thing again. Sheesh.

unclefred likes this.
  14. unclefred

As far as the OP, I consider a prequel the same as a sequel. I had forgotten that it existed. I'll never watch it.

15. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Some good ones on the list. How about "The Abyss"?

Quadboy likes this.
  16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

What do mean "some say it's a prequel". It's clearly one, as it ends with the beginning of the 1982 movie. Remakes do not make for a franchise.
    And if this newer movie is actually a sequel to the 1982 movie, I'd still be hard pressed to call the 3 movies spread over 40 years a franchise.

17. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

Doesn't the book "All You Need is Kill" it is based on disqualify the movie? Enjoyable movie though. Even if they did screw up the story just because "Tom Cruise".

Never mind: I see "based on a book" is allowed. So yeah, pretty good movie.

Bhob likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh! It's worth a watch.
    "It's not human. Yet."

unclefred likes this.
  19. unclefred

You think it's decent then?

20. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Uh....it's worth watching. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is engaging and there are are some good bits with The Thing.
    The story doesn't really go anywhere though. But there's worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

unclefred likes this.
  21. Michael

that's what they claim...BUT no cigar! been a rumor for quite some time now...

22. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

When I saw Alien when it came out the first thought that popped into my head was that they ripped off "It The Terror from Beyond Space". So what you claim was a rumor I felt since 1979.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay okay man. You seem to feel strongly about this topic, far stronger than I. Sequel, Prequel, Reboot..... I prefer the original filmed version myself. :)

24. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Finished the second part of World on a Wire. Worth a peek most definitely if only for the abundance of orange coloured furnishings that must have been all the rage in early 1970s Europe. Unless, of course, there was a secret meaning behind the use of it..

woody likes this.
  25. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

We agree 100% on that. Peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.