Yellowstone - 2018 Western series Kevin Costner

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Jun 20, 2018.

1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I think Beth is my favorite character on TV right now.

tonyc, jlocke08, jpelg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Totally nonsensical thought BUT...the guy who plays Jamie Dutton's father. He worked with Costner in No Way Out. Did Costner have anything to do with it? Was he taking care of an old buddy, or was he pleasantly surprised to see a buddy show at the reading table? Like I said, totally nonsensical!!;)

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Mine too. But if I ever met her in a dark alley, I'd run in the other direction. I think I'd rather take my chances with Rip!

Linger63, Panama Hotel and toddrhodes like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he was also in the postman with costner ;)

his name is will patton

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

even Howard Stern was talking about it this morning, like most of us we are used to watching things on a streaming service but Yellowstone on Paramount TV is not on the Paramount streaming service that I pay a monthly fee for, WTF.

I have no idea where the Paramount tv network is on my cable service. :o

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Mentioned before how I went thru the routine with Paramount. Last week I signed up, expressly to watch this show, but there was nothing there! Truthfully, between HBO/Max, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, I don't need another service. I canceled Paramount, and I purchased the entire season on Amazon Prime for $20 bucks!

7. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I haven't seen this but I think Open Range had one of the most realist gun fights. People shooting like crazy and never hitting anything. I've eaten at his ex-wife's restaurant and she's a great manager too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  8. I was truly amazed to find out that Kelly Reilly is an Englishwoman. (Irish heritage, but London-raised.) She doesn't just do an American accent, she does a West-of-the-Mississippi, Mountain/Pacific Time Zone American accent. Pitch-perfect for Beth's character. A bit underplayed and cosmopolitan, rather than the cowgirl twist that you hear in the voices of the barrel racers. And while the character of Beth demands beaucoup drama, Kelly avoids the temptation to do a one-note impression, or to overact. Playing a drama queen without overacting is some doing. I believe the character of Beth Dutton. Even when she's blowing someone's head off at point-blank range.

fwiw: judging from the films and TV episodes I've seen, while I have seen some BBC shows where the actor wasn't nailing the American accent of their character, as a rule, actors from the UK do much better at pulling off American accents than American actors manage to handle the British accents of their characters.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

TV today will literally nickel and dime you to death.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  10. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I was just saying the other night to my wife - everyone who wanted to "break up cable" and get their a la carte options - welcome to your new normal. I based that on CBS (?) taking SEAL Team off broadcast air and putting it on Paramount, I think. So now you have to pay to watch it. Granted, it IS a better show for it - a little more in line with what actual military personnel would sound and act like - but I think this was a "be careful what you wish for" situation.

Is what it is, I suppose.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yeah, I suppose. But this thing with Paramount is different and strange. I just read that Yellowstone pulled in some very impressive numbers on Sunday, 8 million viewers plus! How many people did what I did, signed up just to watch the show, only to find it wasn't there! AND it was supposed to be a promo, 1st month free, but my bank account shows the $9.99 fee was taken! My thoughts are it's $10 bucks, what's the big deal? But imagine it multiplied, by say, 8 million?

toddrhodes and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they did the same thing to 'evil' that they did with 'seal team'

i have one TV bill - cable, and that is all i will ever have.

13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

A long yet unsuccessful history,last known and Spike TV,which,for a while,tried to be the testosterone version of WE TV. Their successful version of COPS was a draw till the George Floyd murder May 2020 and the aftermath(not a political statement,this was a news story about the cancellation-now on Fox Nation,a streaming subscription site).

forthlin and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

In S4, I get this feeling things are rushed, yet every now and then some scenes seem to drag out. I can't really put my finger on it, but feels like issues with pacing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent observation, and i do agree.

it seems to be running in place, if you know what i mean.

Martinn and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and, unless there is going to be some great revelatory secret about the kid with rip and beth, it is being way way way overdone. kids ruin TV shows, plain and simple, they always do.

'big sky' is another example of kids ruining TV shows, **** those kids and move on with the real story.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I agree about the kid, seems like a big mistake. Rip's storyline has taken a left turn. 1st off, his relationship with Beth was better when she flew solo, next his dealings with Lloyd doesn't ring true, he took a beating but that should've been the end of it. Doesn't seem like RIP to hold a grudge against his best friend. Walker started it but he didn't get a beating! I'm still enjoying the show, but I'm left wondering whether the Covid epidemic has affected the shows writing. I thought when his grandson left the ranch it felt unnatural. Costner looked like he was hit by a pole but I thought the kid liked his Grandpa. Don't get me started on that ingrate Monica! Lastly, this seasons bad guy, the old lady, doesn't exude the neccesary menace to be this season's bad guy! Would've been better with a Susan Sarandon or Jessica Lange in the role! The good thing is that the show's will be back next season, hopefully it will get back on track.

Martinn and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

This show is loosing me. Too many threads going on at once and most of them not that interesting.

Martinn likes this.
  19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

That is Will Patton who is a solid character actor that has been in lots of films. He is always good.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

... or, as I like to call it, The Sopranos on Horseback.

clayton, Daedalus and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Great show. I started watching this last week-I am now 2 episodes into Season 3.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I agree, With a little bit of Dallas style soap thrown in.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

more godfather than sopranos.

you can almost go character for character between the 2.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

And as much as I like the show, Beth is just getting over the top for me. Wish writers would not completely go nuts like that...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I just finished Season3-that last episode was a shocker. I am watching on peacock so I will have to wait until Season4 gets on there. I don’t want spoilers so I will sign out of this thread for awhile.

Matthew Tate likes this.