Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Dexter Gordon: The Trio & Quartet Recordings #3

[​IMG]

Tim 2, jbg, dennis the menace and 8 others like this.
  2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

You're talking to someone who sooo does not care about vinyl, I would rather drive a hand crank start car.

Stu02, Valkenburg, Mark J and 2 others like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Count Basie "This Time by Basie" Reprise cd

[​IMG]

Maybe a little too loud. . .but it feels good this way.

vanhooserd and Six String like this.
  4. Berthold

Dexter Gordon: At The Keystone #2

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

[​IMG]

The Al Haig Trio "Chelsea Bridge" East Wind cd Japan

jbg, Six String and KCLizard like this.
  6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

My first Abercombie album purchased 35 years ago. John had the lightest touch. His playing is exquisite and beautiful.

7. Berthold

Dexter Gordon: Homecoming #1

[​IMG]

8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I have that on the way.

Lonson likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

[​IMG]
    Kurt Elling: Superblue w/ Charlie Hunter

Best thing I've heard from Kurt in years! I prefer this to the crooner jazz stuff.

10. Lonson

I like it. . . but can't share the "preference"--his earliest material on Blue Note is what I like the most.

Robitjazz and Ray Cole like this.
  11. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

WP: Jean Dousteyssier - Post K [ONJ Records JF002] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    From 2016 with Jean Dousteyssier: clarinet, bass clarinet; Benjamin Dousteyssier: alto and tenor sax; Matthieu Naulleau: piano; Elie Duris: drums.

What happens when you spice up older styles of jazz (swing, stride, dixieland) with skronks from more contemporary styles? Jean Dousteyssier runs the experiment to find out. Fun!

NP: Anne Paceo - Circles [Laborie Records LJ35] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    From 2016 with Anne Paceo: drums, percussion, vocals; Leila Martial: vocals, lyrics (tracks 2, 4); Marion Rampal: lyrics (tracks 8, 10); Tony Paeleman: Fender Rhodes electric piano; Adrien Daoud: tenor sax (track 12), additional keyboards (tracks 1, 5, 8, 12); Emile Parisien: soprano sax.

12. StarThrower62

I have his early album, The Messenger, which is great! I haven't followed him too closely after that.

Ray Cole likes this.
  13. Lonson

It is great. All the Blue Notes are great imo. . . . That label served him well.

Robitjazz and Ray Cole like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Lloyd McNeil - Elegia (Soul Jazz) reissued lp orig. released 1980

What a life McNeil led. A true renaissance man.

15. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

The Herbie Nichols Project Dr. Cyclops' Dream (Soul Note 121333-2). Recorded February 18 and 19, 1999.

Not a mere repertory band, the Herbie Nichols Project was dedicated to expanding the recorded legacy of the great composer. Most of the compositions here had never been recorded before. Some of them derive from lead sheets Ron Horton discovered at the Library of Congress. The group then collectively worked out the arrangements, tempos and dynamics. Essential listening for anyone interested in Nichols' music.

Double Bass: Ben Allison
    Drums: Tim Horner
    Piano: Frank Kimbrough
    Tenor Saxophone, Alto Flute, Bass Clarinet: Ted Nash
    Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone: Michael Blake
    Trumpet, Flugelhorn: Ron Horton

1. Bartok
    2. It Didn't Happen
    3. Dr. Cyclops' Dream
    4. Swan Song
    5. Dream Time
    6. Valse Macabre
    7. I've Got Those Classic Blues
    8. Beyond Recall
    9. The Bebop Waltz
    10. IDH
    11. Riff Primitif
    12. Cro-Mag At T's

[​IMG]

16. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

To be honest, I rarely run into them here in the Netherlands either. Apart from the Taylor CD, I only have Rüdiger Carl's Book / Virtual Cowws and a few Butch Morris related releases. And I happen to be playing one of those right now:

NP: Dean/Hirsch/Hwang/Koch/Lovens/Morris/Reichel/Schütz - X-Communication (CD, FMP, 1991)

J.A. "Dino" Deane (tb, electronics), Shelley Hirsch (voc), Jason Hwang (vln), Hans "Haust" Koch (reeds), Paul "Paule" Lovens (d, perc), Lawrence D. "Butch" Morris (cnt), Hans Reichel (g, daxophone, vcl), Martin Schütz (vcl)

[​IMG]

I am quite in awe by Morris. I think I first heard him in David Murray's octet but he is much more versatile than even these great and varied recordings suggest. I love his conducted group improvisations with all kinds of different ensembles, for example.

This set, however, fits neither within the inside/outside jazz of Murray's group nor in the category of conducted group improvisation. Instead it is very much a product of the European free improv scene. It hardly contains any trace of any kind of swing but if you (occasionally) dig some free improv, this is recommended. The 71-minute CD contains only two (obviously lengthy) tracks and the eight musicians give each other plenty of room to explore the timbres of all kinds of combinations of instruments.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. [​IMG]
    SOUTH AMERICAN COOKIN' | THE CURTIS FULLER QUINTET (Sony Music / Epic) CD

Bass – Jimmy Merritt / Drums – Dave Bailey / Piano – Tommy Flanagan / Tenor Saxophone – Zoot Sims / Trombone – Curtis Fuller

Original 6 track album recorded 1961 -

1 - Hello Young Lovers 5:20
    2 - Besame Mucho 9:13
    3 - Willow Weep For Me 6:41
    4 - One Note Samba 4:11
    5 - Wee Dot 6:47
    6 - Autum Leaves 7:13

Re-issued & remastered CD edition released on Epic via Sony Music's Jazz Collection 1000 series.

A hugely enjoyable session from a very fine band.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Ste_S, Berthold, jbg and 3 others like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Lloyd McNeil - Treasurers (Soul Jazz) reissued lp

19. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Following Six String's lead, I'm now playing:

Lloyd McNeill - Tanner Suite [Universal Sound US CD59] CD
    [​IMG]
    Recorded July 20, 1969 (the day Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the moon) with Lloyd McNeill: flute; Marshall Hawkins: bass.

20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

21. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Kenny Werner Trio
    live at the blue note
    Half Note CD 2003

IMHO very under the radar artist.
    Live Trio ……I’m a sucker for anyone that covers Wayne Shorter …..interesting take on Pinocchio/Fall.

jay.dee and Six String like this.
  22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Amazon's purchases delivered yesterday.

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Over the years I’ve purchased a couple of copies of Francis Wolff photographs from Mosaic; the photographic archive is now run by Mosaic Images.

Michael Cuscuna just announced that Mosaic Images has been sold and that the ability to purchase photos in the future may be limited.

[​IMG]

Dear friends and supporters,
    Over the last 30 years, Mosaic Images has released amazing images of jazz recording history taken by Francis Wolff to the world: We’ve published hundreds of gems in six books, reissue booklets and jazz press, presented gallery shows and photo exhibitions around the world and made fine art prints available to the public.

After Charlie Lourie and I launched Mosaic Records, I made friends with Alfred Lion, who made available photographic gems made by his partner Francis Wolff from the Blue Note sessions. We became the caretakers and eventual owners of the Wolff photographs and launched Mosaic Images. My wife Lisa and I carefully sleeved and curated these 20,000 photographs which came to us in two old trunks from Alfred’s attic. We realized that we had a vast and important asset of unseen jazz photography that might well have been thrown away after Alfred’s passing, had this opportunity not come about.

Well, change is inevitable and soon the Francis Wolff photo archive will change ownership. Lisa and I will remain on as consultants for a while, but one of the casualties of the transition is that the availability of these images is undefined. This means that ordering fine art, metal and vintage silver gel prints will soon not be an option.

No doubt the availability of making prints will return at some point, but if you are considering buying a Francis Wolff print in the near future, please do so on www.mosaicrecordsimages.com before December 17th.

Regretfully we are sorry for any inconvenience that this disruption causes.

Thank you for all your support, perceptions, and enthusiasm,
    Michael Cuscuna

24. This time on vinyl

[​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  25. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

NP: Irène Schweizer - Celebration [Intakt CD 363] FLAC
    [​IMG]
    Recorded April 16, 2021 with Irène Schweizer: piano; Hamid Drake: drums.