'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Got Dexter Gordon’s One Flight Up from a local bricks and mortar yesterday, after seeing some of the Forum reviews.
    BTW, has anyone compared please the Charles Marvel Tone Poet TP vinyl with the CD ? I bought the CD earlier this year, and it’s one of my favourite new albums of 2021, but the vinyl is close to £50 over here, so I’ve not pulled the trigger yet. (I bought other TP Black Friday stuff like Katanga and Witch Doctor instead). Thanks.

mktracy likes this.
  2. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

PSA: McCoy Tyner's "Tender Moments" was recorded on this day in 1967.

3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I haven't listened to Ornette in decades, and didn't really give him much of a chance at that point. I must admit its a shame its not coming out on CD as its a nice looking set and as such I would have picked it up. Not sure I will go to the effort of picking up the albums individually.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have well over 1000 Jazz albums mainly from the mid 50s to early 70s and have been buying and enjoying Jazz since the late 80s but have never got into Ornette Coleman. The box looks very cool but his music just isn’t for me.

Biff Jones, Korato69, AFA and 3 others like this.
  5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

and another Immanuel Wilkins LP coming in January, he's on fire!
    i wish they'd give the TP treatment to more of these new artists.

Immanuel Wilkins - The 7th Hand – Blue Note Records

[​IMG]

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I went for the color variant on the Blue Note website. His Blue Note debut smoked, so looking forward to hearing this follow up.

7. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

As a CD collector you really shouldn't be without Beauty is a Rare Thing, if Ornette catches your ear at this point and you don't already have it. I have the most recent repress and it's great. It goes on sale on Amazon from time to time.
    The originals don't go for much either.

It's a great way to get his classic quartet (and octet) sessions in one fell swoop.

hutlock, Kimiimacman, Kiss73 and 4 others like this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

kt66brooklyn, DavidJ and DeRosa like this.
  9. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Looks like Blakey's: Roots and Herbs is coming back in-stock at Amazon US.

Anselmo, aoxomoxoa, trd and 3 others like this.
  10. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

at $35.98. ouch! gotta have it though. that's the one TP on my wantlist!

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I am hoping it goes down.
    I don't know exactly what is going on, but companies have been very comfortable charging way more than they should for records as of late and people are buying them up. Often times, I swear the higher the price is for the product the faster it sells. Everyone wants to equate price with quality, which has less correlation than a lot of people will admit.

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

thats why ive cut back, havent a single AP release since they increased prices, just too much

13. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

I want this to be the next Tone Poet LP, please Mr. Was!

Matadore and danasgoodstuff like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You Beatle fans are certainly over the top in love with your Fab Four! I mean that as a compliment.

15. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

God smack it, every time I open this Web site up I find a new reason to spend money. Yech.

Dignan2000, mktracy, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

The vinyl versions of Ross, Wilkins, and other new Blue Notes are digital transfers, correct?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thanks! This is the only TP I’ve been waiting for. It’s been out of print for so long! My inability to find it motivated me to just start pre-ordering everything I was remotely interested in

mktracy and struttincool like this.
  18. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

This is the way.

19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Sorry to go a bit off topic but since we’ve been discussing Ornette on Atlantic I’m interested to know if there are any AAA 33rpm cuts of This Is Our Music & The Change Of The Century?
    On the Ornette boxset thread an early comment alluded to some previous BG cuts of some albums on Rhino but didn’t elaborate.
    I already have The Shape Of Jazz To Come and feel the above two will do me and then go with the TP box when released.

CBackley likes this.
  20. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

70s pressings of both albums are AAA, sound good, are easy to find and cheap.

rockness87 and Kimiimacman like this.
  21. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

You missed out buddy. Used to be listings in the Yellow Pages like "Dial a hit."
    You would ring a free number and listen to the current "number one".
    Sitting in the hallway, listening to INXS in one ear, on a wired handset.
    Those were heady days!

22. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Wow, I never heard about something like that. And, honestly, I doubt there was something like it in Portugal. But, man, thinking how those things will never exist again... even though I'm in my 30s, it's nostalgic.

trd and Briskit like this.
  23. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Somebody was mentioning Cannonball Adderley's 7 Riverside LPs that Adderley gave the masters to Capitol when he moved there. These would make excellent Tone Poet LPs.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

i don't think many studios are rolling tape in 2021.
    Immanuel Wilkins 'Omega' was recorded at Sear Sound in NYC, likely with contemporary digital technology.
    The LP credits Bernie Grundman for vinyl mastering.

mktracy and timzigs like this.
  25. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Well, Riverside isn't under the Blue Note umbrella, but I'd be all in for a Craft Recordings reissue of those Cannonball records.