New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

What have you been reading? I thought Germany was one of their biggest markets. Even The Day Before You Came was a hit there. I found it strange that ABBA never fully clicked with Italy or France (and maybe Spain and Portugal?)
    Also, do any of our Swedish friends have an idea why Summer Night City was ABBA's LAST Number 1 in Sweden before Don't Shut Me Down? What happened to ABBA's popularity in their home country?

2. IWS

IWS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    From my "Spotify Wrapped" - doesn't count my listening on CD after the album came out :D

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you for that! So many people around here have certainly helped me so I try and do the same, but I’m in the camp of those here that don’t want to act like my opinion is more important just because my system may be of higher quality than someone else’s. It took me a long time to build up to what I have, and it’s certainly not as good as some others here but even when I had a middling system, I still loved listening to music and I think everyone should regardless of what you listen on! So, was just making sure my comment didn't come across as anything other than that. And by the way, speaking on different systems, sometimes a recording is so bad that they cam sound worse on a higher end system that’s really exposing all the flaws, than on an average set up. There’s room for both! Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Hope everyone is still enjoying Voyage no matter how we think it sounds!

RubenH, Jarleboy, Nielsoe and 3 others like this.
  4. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I think they are big in Spain, they even recorded a Spanish-language album with their greatest hits.
    And crankybruh, don't be so cruel about Kim Wilde, if you've only heard her singles, she has great albums, two US number 1 hits and a lot of hits in Europe, so we can't speak of a one-day star here.

I also think that Kim and Agnetha's voices are absolutely incomparable, the first is a bit husky and the second a clear soprano, they also sing completely different songs. Something for everyone.:agree::laugh:

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

…or in the US back in the day, which may surprise some. And I was in high school when their later albums came out and though I loved their music back when the S/T came out, making me pretty young, it was definitely very uncool to tell anyone in high school you liked them. Seems all so silly now, but if you were the type that needed acceptance from one’s peers (and that was sadly true of me) you didn't mention ABBA or the Bee Gees, which is strange because Bee Gees were at least selling records here by the truck load so someone was certainly buying them. I bet a lot of people I knew that ridiculed them were closet fans! I did know adults back then that were ABBA fans, but they just couldn’t get any real traction here until the Mama Mia show began touring here.

I love that the two bands I liked most growing up are the one’s that have since earned respect, and have albums, that are just as enjoyable today.

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

The “Little Things” video just premiered on YouTube… :)

it is cute and a bit odd…but Christmas seems peripheral to what is going on.

7. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

According to ARIA chart, they are not for now
    Wow! thank you a lot. I just woke up and ready for a new clip

Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  8. crankybruh

I don't think they were nearly as popular in Spain as they were in Mexico, Venezuela and Argentina - those were the markets they recorded the "Spanish" album for.
    Kim Wilde is also famous for being drunk on the Tube and singing Christmas Carols to passengers, so there's another ABBA connection :winkgrin:

Jarleboy and Roxy6 like this.
  9. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Thanks !
    It is most definitely not a clip you would expected by this song, but very nice.
    And we still see some images of our hero's :)

10. crankybruh

Jokersm123: there is some mistranslation with your English. What does "they are not for now" mean? Little Things didn't chart? Not surprising.

Jokersm123 likes this.
  11. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

Sometimes you are so naughty....:agree: How nice of Kim to entertain for free..... :wave: What about Kylie? Can your compatriot pass the test?
    Kim is loved very much in Europe, especially in Germany.

I wonder if the ABBA members ever met her at TOTP or elsewhere, they were both big in the early eighties...

Jarleboy, Jokersm123 and crankybruh like this.
  12. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

The new video is cute and quite inventive
    The extended ending of the song is great, I wonder if the CD Single will include the extra ending?

13. crankybruh

You mean The Singing Budgie? She's recorded some great pop - last year's Say Something was one of the best things she's ever done - and her longevity is to be admired. But I'm not a big fan.

Jokersm123 and Roxy6 like this.
  14. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I don’t know if this has been posted before. Has anyone noticed how uncannily a portion of the track Eagle is to The Human Leagues Don’t you want me?

15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I also noticed an extra bar or two before the kids start singing - it also sounded like a slightly different mix, or perhaps I'm just imagining that...?

16. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

I honestly don't know what you mean, I like both songs but they are completely different for what I can say :whistle:

JulesRules, Jarleboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  17. Jokersm123

Fabulous and high tech Christmas clip, every kid should see it and parents have to buy a tickets to a ABBA Voyage. Have plans to watch it several dozen times

Jarleboy, motownboy and Roxy6 like this.
  18. Jokersm123

I mean the low current result on ARIA chart, given that in Australia ABBAmania was the strongest

Jarleboy and Roxy6 like this.
  19. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Unfortunately not...

20. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

The album debuted at number 1 in Australia is in the top 5 for the next two weeks after that.

21. crankybruh

Australia only initiated ABBBAmania. After their tour of 77 ABBA's popularity fell off a cliff. They never had another Number 1 after Money, Money, Money and their only Number 1 album post-76 was Gold. The backlash was pretty nasty, actually, led by the same bozo who made them popular in the first place: Molly Meldrum from the ABC tv show Countdown.

22. crankybruh

Which portion?

Jarleboy and Jokersm123 like this.
  23. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Probably the synth riff between chorus and verse…the first half has some similarity to the „Eagle“ intro.

24. Jokersm123

This confirms that ABBA is fully European band, but Australia is not Europe, probably more like the United States. My school comrade living in Melbourne said that Australia is like American village. He flew in the US.
    ARIA chart almost copletely taken by US/UK music, approximately 90%: ARIA Top 50 Albums Chart

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Not true. Molly never had a bad word to say about ABBA at all ever. Also, while there was definitely a backlash after the super-saturation of 1975-77 we also helped initiate the comeback too. Bjorn Again were definitely instrumental in that. As were the movies Muriel's Wedding and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.