New quality presses of previously "unobtainably" priced records

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AndrewSlattery, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've picked up a few great re-releases recently that were previously unobtainable due to the prices, so I thought I'd share a few. And it'd be great to hear a few others!

Almost Famous Soundtrack. This was previously going for $500-800. The new press is awesome. Silent vinyl. Beautiful tipon gatefold $50 for Special edition from Udiscovermusic: Almost Famous (20th Anniversary: Exclusive Vinyl Edition) (2021, Vinyl)

Santana - Supernatural: All previous copies were $500+ . The new press is available for $50 on Amazon. Pressed on silent vinyl at MPO. Great mastering. Santana – Supernatural (2019, Vinyl)

A Boy Named Charlie Brown: Originals all $100+. New press AAA cut by Kevin Gray $25: Vince Guaraldi Trio – A Boy Named Charlie Brown (2021, Vinyl)

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue: All originals and any audiophile cut is stupid money. New AAA Kevin Gray press $25 - Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue (2021, 180g, Vinyl)

Kenny Burrell - Introducing Kenny Burrell: Originals are $500+. New AAA press is $35 when in print. Will be back in print shortly: Kenny Burrell – Introducing Kenny Burrell (2019, 180g, Gatefold, Vinyl)

The Royal Ballet Performances - Original is STUPID money. New AAA presses is $75 and sound fluffernutter spectacular. In print from Acoustic Sounds. Ernest Ansermet, Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden – The Royal Ballet Gala Performances (2016, Vinyl)

Roger Waters - Amused to Death: Original is a $300 record. New AAA press is $55 - Roger Waters – Amused To Death (2015, 200 Gram, Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder. Original is between $500 and $700 on Discogs. New AAA Kevin Gray cut is $25. Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder (2020, 180g, Vinyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2021
    spindly, AaronW, BornToBoogie and 2 others like this.
  2. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

The album Paint a Picture by Fantasy is priced around £1,000. Early 70s prog.
    However my reissue ordered via Record Collector magazine has just arrived.
    Great sound and excellent album.
    Recommended.

AndrewSlattery likes this.
  3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Kenny Dorham - mono Quiet Kenny: Original $1500+, ERC $700, Craft AAA Kevin Gray cut $80 (retail was $25)

4. AndrewSlattery

5. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

6. AndrewSlattery

Yep the Yellow one. Sorry I realised I posted the 2000 issue twice. It sounds tremendous. The original is AAA, and it certainly sounds like this is too. Absolutely kills the CD and high res streaming. Also drop dead silent vinyl

wynnwikman likes this.
  7. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Not all true. The fun is in the hunt.

I just bought Lee Morgan Sidewinder BST 84157 USA pressing VAN GELDER STAMPED for $50 on eBay. And it really is NM. I think it is a 1966 pressing. I'd rather have it than the New AAA Kevin Gray version.

There isn't anything special about new releases of very old material. I'd just as soon stream them via Tidal or play CD than buy a new pressing.

I'm more into the collecting and unearthing those old NM original or close-to-original LP pressings it's more to fun to find them and play them than just put a new pressing on TT and spin it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2021
    caravan70 and Harrison_Bergeron like this.
  8. AndrewSlattery

I agree that most re-issues are crap, and unless they're analogue then I'd 100% prefer to save money and listen to high res on Apple or Tidal.

The ones I posted are all audiophile releases that are currently affordable, but will most likely skyrocket in price once out of print. They're all AAA (Apart from Almost Famous and I don't believe Santans is or ever was AAA) and pressed on silent vinyl too, so you'd be very hard pressed to find a better original in the same quality for a good price. Good work getting Sidewinder for $50 though! I just had a look on discogs at the original presses and someone has paid $747AUD for a mono, and $206AUD for a stereo before haha. All copies for sale are VP and between $100-$600!AUD

Rattlin' Bones likes this.
  9. AndrewSlattery

The latest press of David Gilmore's On an Island is super cheap, and it uses the same plates as the original that goes for HUNDREDS!

Original analogue mastering by Doug Sax.

David Gilmour – On An Island (2018, 180 Gram, Vinyl)

On An Island (180gm Vinyl) (Reissue)
    https://www.amazon.com/Island-Vinyl-DAVID-GILMOUR/dp/B000E5L89I

The album technically isn't AAA as some of it was done in pro-tools. But it was recorded to tape, mixed on an analogue deck and cut to tape, so that's good enough for me!

Great info on how the album was recorded and mixed here

Recording David Gilmour's 'On An Island'

BornToBoogie likes this.
  10. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Boy that yellow vinyl really shot up in price.

11. AndrewSlattery

It's still in print in Australia. But given how ridiculously good it sounds, plus being analogue it makes sense it'll skyrocket in price once it's OOP

12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Is Scorpio still selling the counterfeit albums? The R.I.A.A. has never brought them down.....decades now.

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

You could always ask them Home Page - Scorpio Music

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They should have been shut down years ago. Every super rare jazz and soul LP manufactured at wholesale rates (under $10 years back) for your stores. Miles Davis on a Scorpio site, Sgt. Pepper. Their warehouse I visited decades ago was nothing but old out of biz record label stock and cut outs....the ones Morris Levy and his Promo Records cut-out warehouse, a division on Genovese Inc., didn't get. Patterson N.J..

15. danielkov86

Any place you think would ship to USA for reasonable shipping costs?

16. AndrewSlattery

17. danielkov86

18. AndrewSlattery

Try Amazon US

19. danielkov86

I actually did some digging and found a recent reissue that looks to be cut from the same A-1-1 / B-1-1 master as the original pressing, so I scooped that up. Can't wait to hear and compare to my other variant.

20. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

If you have success with this pressing can you please share your info, I haven’t been able to track down a copy of this in the US. Thanks!

21. danielkov86

I ended up finding that Parachutes yellow version for $20 sealed at a local record store. Right when I gave up looking for it. :laugh:

I will let you know once it comes in. It's shipping from France.

wynnwikman and AndrewSlattery like this.
  22. danielkov86

Hey, got my A-1-1 / B-1-1 in yesterday and got to compare it to the other variant, 4A 3B. The A-1-1 is amazing, simply put. The difference is mostly in the bass, to which it bringeth and not in a bloated way, and also a tad more warmth (low mids.) Hope you're able to track a copy down, it's worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.