New music by ABBA - "Voyage" LP due Nov. 5, 2021*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeysCantSwing, Apr 27, 2018.

1. GuvnorsWhiteJacket

GuvnorsWhiteJacket Lord Julian's Consort

Not particularly fond of children but every child deserves a decent start in life so respect to Abba for this.

anduandi, Bill Larson and Jarleboy like this.
  2. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Got a deja vu to Whitney Houston with this line :)

JulesRules, RSteven and Jarleboy like this.
  3. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Did you not like yourself when you were a child?

4. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I dont remember that at all, and I used to watch Countdown religiously.
    As for MW and Priscilla, I wasnt saying that it was a foregone conclusion. Its just that there was always a fondness for ABBA in Australia, even with the backlash after the huge saturation of 1975-77. Australia was part of bringing ABBA back to international attention, first with Bjorn Again - whos success certainly showed that there was a solid fan basis in Australia, and then with MW and Priscilla that only grew. Of course people realised they missed ABBA, thats why Bjorn Again and both movies were so successful. The directors of both movies were ABBA fans themselves which is why their music was so important to both movies, so Im not sure what you mean by coincidental. ABBA were chosen specifically because the directors were big fans. Because of ABBAs huge popularity and iconic status in the mid to late 70s. It wasnt some accidental thing. The success of both movies and Bjorn Again proved that despite the backlash post 1977 there was a huge groundswell of love and support for ABBA still.

GoodVibrations47 and Jarleboy like this.
  5. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

Yes, when it was announced someone here said it'd be nice if they included 'Happy New Year' as a B-Side, as they would go nicely together being festive pair, and ' 'Holiday' specific songs'.

You know they'll be re-releasing this as a 7" annually as they have been with Happy New Year for the past several years.

It is a waste, no doubt the CD will be cherished in my ABBA collection, but never played to be honest. Why would you need to when we have the album, at least ISHFIY, DSMD and JAN preceded the album; and I did play those CDs.

Pianoman99 and Jarleboy like this.
  6. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

What a great thing to do.
    I always respect them but more so now.

7. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

I have bought all 4cd singles. But haven't opened any as they are all on the album. I would have if they had extra tracks. That is a bit of a let down like others have said.

croquetlawns and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Jokersm123

Jokersm123 Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Roxy6 and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Jokersm123

But still no any data in Dutch certification Database given the over 40K sales enough to Platinum: Goud/Platina
    Music is bit like a sport.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Capricorn92

Capricorn92 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing, now I can't stop exploring the content of that channel :D

On a separate note, just wanted to add that having listened to my LP a few times, I have noticed that I get best results if I turn the treble knob on my amp to the +2 position (it goes up to +10). Now I know - would I need to do that had the recording been perfectly balanced? No, but then again I do have records in my collection that sound acceptable only when I turn that all the way up to 10! Putting it at +2 gives me that slight treble boost that I'm missing, so for those who have a treble knob on their amplifiers, this might help you out.

And I am waiting for my replacement green LP to arrive, I have been told it's been dispatched.

Jokersm123 and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Jokersm123

12. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

Yes, and George Benson! :righton:

13. crankybruh

crankybruh Forum Resident

Well, I certainly remember Molly throwing the album away because it was so shocking. That and his pathetic grovelling to Prince Charles when he appeared on Countdown. What a tool.

Jokersm123 and Yeppers41 like this.
  14. Yeppers41

Yeppers41 Forum Resident

Voulez-Vouz went Platinum in Oz, had two top 10 singles, and 'Gimme...' went to #8. 'Chiquitita' got to #4, and 'Does Your Mother Know' got to #7, which is higher than 'The Name of the Game' at #6 and 'Take a Chance on Me' at #12, from The Album.

'Winner' #7 and 'On and on...' #9 were still top 10 hits, but the album didn't sell. Something had finally cooled there.

I was in primary school during this period, and the kids would only talk about Abba and Kiss, both of which I thought were dreadful. Around the release of 'Trooper', there was a series of Bubblegum aimed at kids that had an edible record-shaped piece of gum in a tiny cardboard sleeve mimicking popular records of the period. Of course, kids would swap to get the ones they wanted. I noted at the time no-one wanted 'Trooper' or 'Unmasked', and the kids would talk about how both albums weren't very good. Note that 'Trooper' didn't make even a Gold record. Neither did 'Visitors', which tanked here.

I don't mind Abba now, but they were so overexposed in the 70's ('Arrival' went 18x platinum), and then so ubiquitous in the gay clubs in the 90's that I've just heard the songs far too many times, since, in between that, I had a flaming high school friend who spend most of the 80's playing their cassettes.

Jokersm123, Roxy6, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  15. bardia

bardia Forum Resident

All I can say is when it comes to Voyage, after trying the CD, iTunes, 2 different LP versions, the HDTRACKS 96/24 version is leaps better than the rest.

16. doity

doity Forum Resident

I remember in about 1978 or 1979 I had an overnight paper route when I was in high school. Being the mischievous sort that I was, I sometimes would ‘liberate’ items that didn’t belong to me.

One of the items that I liberated was a small package on someone’s front porch. When I opened it up I discovered it was a promo cassette copy of the UNICEF song that ABBA had done, Chiquitita. Not sure if the people it was intended for were donors or what, but I tossed it.

Anyway, not proud of it but it’s funny how things come full circle and now I am a fan. This is my apology to the world for my actions. Hopefully the statute of limitations has run out!

17. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

It’s about 14 seconds in, played on guitar, it’s almost the start of don’t you want me, it ends on a different note though.

18. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

Its the guitar intro to eagle, about 14 seconds in, and the human league intro, eagle ends on a different note though. It’s fair to mention though that I’m dyslexic and slightly audio dyslexic and often hear odd connections.

19. crankybruh

"it's funny", "mischievous", "liberated". Nicely underplayed. Try substituting "sad", "criminal" and "steal".

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Jokersm123 likes this.
  20. crankybruh

I'm a little older and there was definitely a sense that ABBA were over after the 77 tour. Everyone was overexposed and burnt out. I think if I'd been into the merchandising I would have felt suckered as everything just disappeared, but fortunately I was only into the music. It was good no one was moaning about ABBA anymore and I might have even been secretly relieved that Take A Chance On Me, probably my least favourite song, didn't make the Top Ten.

Jokersm123, Jarleboy and croquetlawns like this.
  21. doity

doity Forum Resident

Yeah, unlike one of the subscribers on my route that was missing their paper every day for the longest time. They stayed up late at night to see what was happening and it was their next door neighbor, a middle-aged man, who was swiping it. At least I can use my youth as an excuse......I suppose you have never done anything wrong?

Jokersm123 likes this.
  22. crankybruh

Of course. I'm just not going to broadcast it.

JulesRules, Jokersm123 and Roxy6 like this.
  23. doity

doity Forum Resident

42 years, 42 years. Surely was the crime of the century and the FBI still has a case file open on it. Get a grip man.

Record Rotator and Jokersm123 like this.
  24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I must say the new Abba album really stands up to repeated plays! Side 1 is just sooo good it's like Side 5 of Abba Gold.

25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Poor Molly. I cant watch that interview. He is so clearly nervous - and apparently was told to be on his best behaviour by the ABC bigwigs - that he is even more bumbling than normal. It took them forever to get a clean take apparently.