HBO' s "Succession" Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Jun 14, 2018.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think it's been established that a) the grandfather was dangling different figures to be able to control Greg and b) the figure that was ultimately dangled was a small fraction of $250 million.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure it’s still just gold digger.

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

What does gold digging have to do with gender anyway? It's all over this show, and clearly doesn't discriminate.

TurtleIsland and Big Blue like this.
  4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

[​IMG]

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, but this clearly applies to Tom in this series, as well.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Okay, but if the term clearly popularly refers to women, it makes sense for someone to say "male version of a gold digger." Popular definitions are kind of what you have to go on when using language effectively. People call stewards stewardesses, but waiters are still usually distinct from waitresses...

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it’s more like how there was a time “doctor” would have been assumed to apply to a man.

I’m sure we’re way off topic, right? :laugh:

In any case, Tom at least basically owned up to this a couple of episodes ago, when Kendall called him to the diner. Kendall was trying to flatter Tom by talking about how he’s maneuvered his way into his position, and Tom said bluntly “I fell in love with your sister.” He knows he caught a golden gravy train meal ticket and doesn’t really deserve anything he has.

trd and OldSoul like this.
  8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The time for me that Tom was extra-unlikeable was when he took Greg out to dinner in season 1 I think to teach him how to act wealthy.

William Barty and Big Blue like this.
  9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Welcome to the modern world. :cool:

Big Blue likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Where actresses are called actors because...why again?

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Well, they may be called either, IME. They act, so they are actors. In a lot of contexts, it’s not necessary to indicate gender when saying something a person does for a living.

trd and TurtleIsland like this.
  12. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Best thing on TV in around 20 years.

peelaaa likes this.
  13. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

It's an outstanding piece of TV, the first season takes a bit of time to click though. Stick with it.

Best bits when they go back to scotland :laugh:

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

L to the O-GEE!

Scotian and lothianlad like this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’d put it up there, for sure. Not standing alone, but definitely on the podium.

16. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I didn't understand what the hell that meant. I love the look on the people's faces, like what the hell is this? I would have the same look if I heard that crap.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

He’s so delusional!

18. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

Exactly. If we don’t call doctors “doctresses” why would we continue calling actors “actresses?”

trd and Big Blue like this.
  19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Because they don't go to evil medical school to be called mister, thank you very much.

20. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Impulse control is located in the prefrontal cortax of the brain but if any part of the body is never exercised it withers and becomes useless. What happened was out of the blue and completely inevitable. Shiv probably sensed that and kept taking it on the chin so that she could be there when it happened. Poor Roman, with a vast emotional chasm he is unable to fill, trying to puzzle out Lukas Matsson who appears to have the same problem.

Then there's Kerry, the raven haired sorceress aka ShadowLogan. As to exactly how much she is assisting her boss with we can only speculate but in What It Takes they shared a look right before Mencken got the nod. The age difference is even greater than the one Logan was harping his son about but maybe Roman isn't the only one with his senses clouded by erotic obsession.

21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

jpelg likes this.
  22. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Last night had possibly the funniest moment I've seen thus far: Roman accidentally texting his d*ckpick to Logan (instead of Gerri) during a high-stakes meeting, and Logan furious to find his son is deviant and haphazard beyond his expectations, and that he's doing these sorts of things at all much less at a time like that. We then see Logan make a radical error: placing all the blame on Gerri (the interim CEO) and having her fired, despite her vast knowledge of where all the bodies are buried. We also see Shiv furiously campaigning for Roman's ouster, which will surely come to a head in the next episode. This all hinges on whether or not Roman can land the deal with the insane tech guru.

The dinner scene with Kendall and Logan was brilliant, forcing his grandson to take a bite of his mozzarella to ensure Kendall wasn't trying to poison him. Brutal but honest. It's not so much that Kendall is delusional ("I'm better than you" ... "I'm a good guy"). He should have said, "I want to be better than you." He lacks what his father has always had; self awareness, even if that means ruling a morally bankrupt media empire that makes the world a worse place while it lines his and his family's pockets. Logan's description of the kid dying in the lake in Scotland was about as hard as it gets, and he did so to underline how he protected his son thereafter. Most people never encounter that level of hardball, much less with someone who is supposed to offer you unconditional support for life. We see Kendall at the end, drugged, floating in a pool, like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, face down instead of up. I've seen a few reviews questioning on whether this is him dying, but I find that hard to believe. The only way for Logan to go will be his children getting together and ousting him, which clearly isn't going to happen any time soon,

vince, Big Blue and BEAThoven like this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, I thought the episode moved all the characters forward very well. It strikes me that Shiv is reenacting her dad's routine of tough love on Tom. The mom put it so well when she said she couldn't have dogs because Logan would kick them as hard as he could to see if they'd come back--hey, just like he does with his kids.

And that is exactly what Shiv is doing with Tom. Man, he got kicked hard in the latest episode. You could see his head swimming when it happened and in the subsequent conversation. He's going through with Shiv what Ken and Roman are going through with Logan. Some great parallels there.

Also hilarious moments as mentioned with the dick pic and earlier with the half-assed proposal from the oldest son that was basically rejected with smiles frozen and a smattering of applause. Of course he's too dense to acknowledge the rejection.

Very interesting cliffhangers with Ken in the pool, Gerri's last conversation with Shiv, and Tom being pushed to the breaking point where he'll no doubt lash out at someone--probably Greg, who is starting to understand the concept of climbing. Will be very interested to see how Gerri plays the sexual harassment issue.

The show made it seem like we can stick a fork in Ken, but I actually see Logan circling back to him by the end of the season.

24. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I'm laughing haha you're right about all of it. It's just one big scratch on the head. I guess the high brow character obscurity is meant to distance the audience so we may feel like we're watching perhaps a "being rich and big in business isn't all glamour" narrative. @bigblue is right as well. As a viewer it seems we're meant to shift our sympathy amongst varying groups of characters as they each have good and bad moments and make the best/worst of them. As a neutral observer I'm also thinking they shoot themselves in the foot half the time both personally and professionally in things. The new episode still has me rather enthralled though. I'm a sucker for these dry business dramas.

25. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Off topic, but I see this show in a similar vein as Mad Men. Can anyone recommend shows similar to Mad Men, Succession, and other character driven business dramas?