The Japanese Popular Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by juss100, Feb 19, 2021.

1. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a long playlist but right up my street right now. I just ordered a couple of Seiko Matsuda vinyl and hope to get more, and I'm sortof digging this era, especially once the synth sounds start kicking in. Chisato Moritaka's The Stress is one of my favourite songs recently.

2. juss100

Also, damn, but she has some amazing legs.

3. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

I'm honored to end my forum trip in your thread with SunMin who sings live Will from the Japanese film Ichi.

Bests.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    MikaelaArsenault and juss100 like this.
  4. Snutteplutte

Snutteplutte Well-Known Member

Mika Nakashima (中島美嘉)

amazarashi
    (Orginal composers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Pc7HJsjzg

Hopefully no has missed this emotional song, Mikas f1rst take performance is so mutch better than her studio version from 2017.

yasujiro likes this.
  5. Snutteplutte

Chisato Moritaka ALONE

Chisato Moritakas single before the Stress middle east version, loves this ballad it has a nice beat to it. It's a clip from a Fuji television program Yoru no Hit Studio, Kylie Minogue performs her eurobeat cover of the hit "the Loco-motion" on the same episode, maybe this inspired Chisato to do her own eurobeat cover 17-sai that was released the next year (1989).

yasujiro and juss100 like this.
  6. juss100

She's terrific (and pricey on vinyl, I'm discovering), thanks for posting!

I'm sharing this video that made me love her. It's a catalogue of errors and she soldiers on ... like a soldier. At 1:00 she trips and falls, just laughs it off. At 4:36 she backs up into her mic stand. Hilarious.

yasujiro and Max Florian like this.
  7. juss100

I wonder if anyone can help me out a little actually. I wanted to get a little focus to my vinyl collecting which I'm just starting doing again, and thought it would be nice to collect some of this stuff as it's nice to have a collection that isn't the usual Floyd, Sabbath, Queen etc and also I think I'd like to grab it before someone realises how good it is and it becomes rare and the price skyrockets.

I've ordered some Seiko Matsdua and there's quite a lot of her to buy. Does anyone either know of a decent list of 80s idols I can plunder for others and/or which albums I should probably focus on? I tend to think of there being good songs across the board, at least in Matsuda Seiko and Akina Nakamori's catalogues but maybe there are standout records worth getting.
    So I also know that I want
    Yoko Oginomoe
    Kyoko Koizumi
    Akina Nakamori
    Momoe Yamaguchi (I think)
    some Yuming (but which ones?)
    Chisato Moritaka (not sure she sold too well and was mid to late 80s so her records seem expensive)

Also, what are the best City pop albums to order. This can be a bit pricier I think because there's a bit of an internet obsession out there with City Pop right now, but I've found a record by Mayo Shouno which seems pretty great. I'm not well versed in it overall though so need to do a bit of homework!

8. juss100

I got my first batch of Japanese records yesterday. I know that sometimes they can be expensive but these were dirt cheap and in very good condition (just a niggle with the Onyanko Club sleeve, really and possibly CD remasterings have done a bit for the sound on that one). I got some Seiko greatest hits compilations because she's released so much I wanted to ensure I started with something pretty solid! Which it is!

[​IMG]

soundboy and yasujiro like this.
  9. Funeral At The Movies

Funeral At The Movies Froum Reisdnet

Lovely pop-rock album from 2001.

10. Snutteplutte

juss100 Have you seen this Chisato-san in your city.

I recently bought one of oldest cd-masters in the world, Seiko Matsuda Pineapple 35DH 3.

11. juss100

Alas! I moved down to London 3 years later.

Cool song though :D

That's pretty cool, how did it sound.

12. Snutteplutte

It so early that the CD is still in Zenmarkets warehouse, somewhere in Osaka.
    Managed also to find a old Seiko Matsuda Candy cd-release, It's not even listed on Discogs.

One of the best Rosegarden interpretations in my opinion.

13. juss100

Wow, how are you finding this stuff?

On the flipside I've noticed once you hit 1990 that's it for vinyl in Japan. They literally just stopped producing it by the looks of things.

Wow. I absolutely *love* it. You might be right!
    Just listening to her original version of 17-Sai also. She's bloody great!

14. juss100

I, on the other hand, was late night browsing Japanese websites and found this on offer which I'm so superbly pleased with as it both looks and sounds absolutely great! It's a toss up between this, 16 That's J-Pop and Momoiro Clover Z's Fifth Dimension as my favourite pop album, period. Disappointed that they didn't reproduce a booklet with the photos contained in the CD booklet though ... as the vinyl is pricey enough to warrant it.

[​IMG]

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As you might know, there were a batch of SACDs of Seiko Matsuda issued in the 2010s with great sonics, many tracks of which were flat transfer of the master tapes.
    Sadly, they are extreamly difficult to get a copy these days.

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Chisato still amazes us how young she looks after all theses years.

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I was surprised her catalog wasn't completely released on SACD by Japan Sony. On top of that, the titles released on SACD was reissued through Stereo Sound.

For years, J-pop was under represented on SACD. I am hoping the recent resurgence of J-pop on SACD will signal more titles being released in the future.

18. Snutteplutte

juss100 likes this.
  19. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

Has anyone seen the new Sukekiyo PV? The video is a pretty funny spoof on 80s/90s VK culture/variety shows I think.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

juss100 likes this.
  21. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

the only Japanese pop act I know is Pink Lady, that and rock band Loudness. I'm several decades behind :D

SOS

22. juss100

Well, this is a nice place to be, though I don't know what is Pink about these ladies. perhaps that's why they are sending out an SOS?

23. juss100

I thought I'd take the liberty of posting a few J-pop favourites from 2021. I'm playing catchup as usual - most of the year I've been listening through Hello! Project artists chronoloigcally from the 2000s because I love Hello! Project, but I've decided to also come from 2021 and go backwards so I don't miss out on the newer stuff, which I like just as much. So I'll start with their best releases of the year.
    And 2021 has been a pretty good year with every single they put out at least having one really solid song. Beyooooonds owned it with their first single though which sported an, as usual, highly meta piece of catchy ridiculousness (in another post) and a brilliantly chosen and recorded cover of an obscure 80s europop song.

I love this!

and the original. Which is also very cool and hilarious.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtqnIOHMJs

24. juss100

Meanwhile Juice=Juice trying to capitalise on the recent city-pop revival fad, which is a tough ask but another discrete, slickly produced 70s cover with a video that hits the nail on the head and manages to capture an authentically modern idol-pop take on the vibe i.e it's much warmer, less alienating but the sexy gender neutrality of the wardrobe is a perfect conglomeration of styles (Morning Musume pulled off something similar last year). I can't get enough of this one.

yasujiro likes this.
  25. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I'm not sure if they are considered pop per se, but Polysics is one of my favorite current bands. They do have some very pop-y songs, though.

They are a heavily Devo, Talking Heads and generally 80's new-wave influenced band, but mainly Devo. Their videos are lots of fun. Here's an homage to Devo's very early videos featuring a character named "General Boy."
    Also, the bass line is a variation of the line from Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Love Missile F-111, and the guitar is a variation of the main riff from Devo's Girl U Want.

LoveYourLife and SpudOz like this.