The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

:D So that was not so absurd after all ! But the kinky sex scenario is becoming really weird.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I highly doubt the lyrics have anything to do with kinky sex. The ju ju reference is voodoo/magic related.

3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Mystic Woman
    New vocals over a 1973 backing. Wonder if the lyrics are 1973 or recent? As has been mentioned I get that feel of Harrison's 'Wah Wah'. My least favourite of the tracks from this album that we've looked at so far. Seems I'm in a minority!

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Mystic Woman"

I'm not sure about this one. I think he should have left off the new vocals, but then it would be an instrumental that I wouldn't really care about. It feels like he added more than just new vocals so it sounds just as much like a new song as it does a 70s demo. The groove isn't bad, and I do like the addition of the slide guitar. It gives it an early ZZ Top vibe. I can hear a young Billy Gibbons tearing into this track. Maybe Dave should have just handed this one off? After several listens this morning it has improved. I can get into it, but it's not something I will often return to.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Mystic Woman"

It has a reasonable groove, but I can't really hear a song in there. This one doesn't appeal to me as much as the earlier, more meandering songs have.

6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Mike Nesmith, RIP

[​IMG][

I found this piccy from another post about "Death of a Clown"​

7. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Wow, that is a cool photo. RIP Mike.

8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: My first time hearing this. It definitely has a "Goo Goo Barabajagal" vibe about it.

9. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Major tip of the cap to Mr Nesmith. I was only a little tiny one when the Monkees came into my orbit. They STUCK. I knew I loved them when I was 4 or 5. Then when I was a pre-pubescent in the mid-70s as their show was in syndication. All us girls would gush about them in line as we waited to get an awful school lunch. And when I was 20 or so and they made a big comeback in the mid-80s (minus Mike) on MTV. They were a part of my upbringing. Made me know what a GOOD song sounded like...with personalities and talent to match. I was more of a Davy/Micky kinda gal, but I knew Mike brought something important to the mix.
    I was always aware of the Kinks in my periphery as a youngster...but the Monkees were in MY FACE during those times.

Listen to the band...indeed.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Sad to read Mike Nesmith has passed away.
    I like the Monkees, but Mike really came into his own with his National Band albums, and many that came afterwards.

An excellent artist, and I didn't realise how good until I bought the First National Band albums, quickly followed by the Second National Band Albums...

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Mystic Woman

Starts out trancelike and spectral before settling on a rhythm, it has a neat riff and it's cool short slide licks remind me of white southern blues rock.
    I like the theme, lyrics are ok and vocal a bit better than what we have heard so far.
    Somehow i am reminded of Hendrix as not only can I hear him fooling with the riff but the echo like opening has me thinking of the opening of one of his takes of Bleeding Heart in that it is trying to paint a sound/mood picture palette (as for example is also John Mayall on Fly Tomorrow) and I could see him embracing a theme of Juju and African spells plus finally he has a track entitled Scorpio Woman!
    I would have liked to see Dave experiment further with African percussion and drum beats to create a choppy and dense syncopated sound that allows the other instruments to lay out and be a little sparse at times to create space and make the riff even more compelling!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

No.....you picked up a Hendrix connection too!

DISKOJOE, mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  13. mark winstanley

The Journey.

stereo mix (3:13), recorded 1973 at Konk Studios, North London

Drums – Neil McBain
    Effects – Simon Davies (10)
    Electric Guitar, Electric Bass – Phil Palmer
    Lead Guitar, Acoustic Guitar – Dave Davies

This is another interesting one … the really interesting thing to me here, is that this quite nice instrumental, sort of reminds me of Rod Stewart around the time of Atlantic Crossing. That in itself is kind of strange to me, and has me wondering if I am just hearing that because of the Faces stylings and Rod Stewart type vocals we’ve heard so far.

We open with a nice acoustic guitar, playing a sort folk melody via the chords. The bass joins in giving the guitar a little support, and then we gradually build and build.

I like the way the layers come in, and thicken out the sound.
    It is quite a simple melody, but it is somewhat soothing and has a nice feeling to it.

We get a string arrangement come in, and I assume they are parts of the effects that Dave’s son, Simon, added when he put this together.

I like this, and it works as a nice breathing space in the album context, and I think it would do that no matter whereabouts you put it really, it’s just the nature of the sound of this.

14. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970

1965 Never Say Yes

1966 Trouble In Madrid

Nov 1970 Lola Vs Powerman And The Moneygoround
    The Contenders
    Strangers - live 1970 - Dave live
    Denmark Street
    Get Back In Line
    Lola - TOTP - video - alt version
    Top Of The Pops - video
    Moneygoround - mono
    This Time Tomorrow - 2020 mix
    A Long Way From Home - live 70's - Ray live
    Rats
    Apeman - video - alt stereo - alt mono - ToTP - Calypso - live 94
    Powerman - mono - 2020 mix - live 70's
    Got To Be Free
    Anytime
    The Good Life

1971 Golden Hour Of The Kinks

Feb 1971 Percy (movie) - trailer
    Mar 1971 Percy (soundtrack)
    God's Children
    Lola
    The Way Love Used To Be - Ray live
    Completely
    Running Round Town
    Moments - Ray live
    Animals In The Zoo
    Just Friends
    Whip Lady
    Dreams
    Helga
    Willesden Green
    God's Children Outro

The Follower
    Ray On Wonderworld

1971 You Really Got Me - Mini Monster EP

Nov 1971 Muswell Hillbillies

20th Century Man - single - Alt Instr - Ray live
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - live 73 - John Peel
    Holiday - live 73
    Skin And Bone - live 70's - Ray live
    Alcohol - live 75 - cartoon
    Complicated Life
    Here Come The People In Grey - live 72
    Have A Cuppa Tea - alt version - live 72
    Holloway Jail
    Oklahoma USA - Ray Live
    Uncle Son - Alternate
    Muswell Hillbilly
    Lavender Lane
    Mountain Woman
    Kentucky Moon
    Nobody's Fool - Cold Turkey(Kinks?)
    Queenie

Dec 1971 Muswell Hillbilly EP

1972 Muswell Hillbilly single (Jap)

Mar 1972 Kink Kronikles

Aug 1972 Everybody's In Showbiz

Here Comes Yet Another Day - live 74 - live 75
    Maximum Consumption
    Unreal Reality
    Hot Potatoes
    Sitting In My Hotel - 76 remix
    Motorway
    You Don't Know My Name
    Supersonic Rocket Ship - fan vid - BBC live - band video - live
    Look A Little On The Sunny Side
    Celluloid Heroes - live 82
    Top Of The Pops
    Brainwashed - Alt
    Mr Wonderful
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - Alt
    Holiday
    Muswell Hillbilly - Alt
    Alcohol - Alt
    Banana Boat Song
    Skin And Bone
    Baby Face
    Lola
    Til The End Of The Day
    You're Lookin' Fine
    Get Back In Line
    Have A Cuppa Tea
    Sunny Afternoon
    Complicated Life
    She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
    Long Tall Shorty
    History
    Sophisticated Lady

January 1973 The Great Lost Kinks Album

Ray's near death experience/suicide?

The Kinks Live AT The BBC 1973

Preservation Live

World Radio History

Starmaker Tv Play

Ray On Wonderworld

2005 Thanksgiving Day Ray live on Conan Obrien

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)

15. mark winstanley

As Dave's stuff here is drawing less interest, and also as it is the weekend, and today's instrumental is quite short, lets roll the last of Dave's 1973 tracks.

Shadows.

stereo mix (3:38), recorded 1973 at Konk Studios, North London

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Dave Davies

Drums – Neil McBain
    Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar – Dave Davies
    Electric Guitar, Electric Bass – Phil Palmer
    Strings, Arranged By – John Gosling (2)

This is a really interesting instrumental, that has a building intensity, that works really well for it.
    We get some nice acoustic guitars, that sound like they could could have come from Led Zep III, and then we move into a sort of country/rock feel with more straight playing.

I like the melodic structure, and I think that it works together nicely. It is interesting to see that John Gosling arranged the strings, which makes me think that this is pretty much how it was done back in 73.

We also get some nice lead from Dave that adds some nice little flavours through our sonic journey.

I guess this track could have had vocals, but I think it is quite entertaining as an instrumental anyway.

16. mark winstanley

Just for reference purposes, next week will look like this.

Monday
    Golden Hour Of The Kinks Vol 2 (for reference)
    Time Song

Tuesday
    One Of The Survivors/Scrapheap City single - I'll take a fleeting look at One Of The Survivors, but the interesting thing here is the Scrapheap City b-side, and it will be the song of the day to some degree.
    Scrapheap City has Ray on vocals and is a very different version. Thanks to @Michael Streett for the heads up :righton:

Wednesday
    Preservation Act 1

and so on.....

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Hi Mark, sorry for nitpick reminder, but would you be able to replace the first listing for Wonderworld with a link to my post on the 1971 Hit Scene interview? The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

18. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"The Journey"

Sounds for all the world like it's going to launch into "You Wear It Well" - the early Rod influence is still very strong here. Builds into a fuller-sounding instrumental, although after one listen I'm not sure how well it would hold my attention. It felt longer than three and a bit minutes on that listen.

"Shadows"

Some nice acoustic chords on this, but it sounds like an instrumental in search of a song to put on top of it. You can pretty much imagine the kind of thing that Dave would be singing over it. This one actually felt quite short on one listen although it's actually longer than the previous track.

Both tracks would probably function well as background music, but are lacking a bit to be standalone attention-grabbing pieces.

19. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Agreed with @ARL about Shadows. You can almost hear the kind of melody Dave could've/would've written on top of this, like he must've done many many times, laying down instrumental structures first, and thinking of a song later in the process. It may be the most Kinks sounding of all those 1973 Dave pieces, it has that agreeable country rock Show-biz flavor.
    Disagreed with @ARL about The Journey, though. I think it's a superb track. Lots and lots of tiny little changes and subtleties everywhere, unexpected chord variations, superb arrangement and, for once, one straight circular melodic idea that resolves itself and turns on itself with none of Dave's usual cubistic way of assembling different ideas, moods and beats that sometimes don't fit together so well. It's one of the most self-contained pieces I ever heard from him.
    But more importantly, this is really a guitar fest, with so many parts intertwined. It goes everywhere on the headphones in a most beautiful way. I get the Rod thing once again (and without Dave screaming in our ears this time!), especially during the acoustic intro. But then it turns kind of progish, reminding me of some Elton John/Davey Johnstone early 70's guitar/synths arrangements, with twin guitars and a lot of amp and pedal effects, that almost create an orchestral guitar picture. The big mellotron sound that comes in half-way through (is it a mellotron ?) may also be responsible for that impression, as are the backing voices. The whole thing ends up being quite a majestic layered production, a big kaleidoscopic fireworks sound where the different parts combine and merge together, creating a wonderful aural effect.
    Glad you decided to finish this Dave exploration this week-end, @mark winstanley, I was about to suggest it ! Really looking forward to be back in the Kinks's fold on Monday.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  20. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970

1965 Never Say Yes

1966 Trouble In Madrid

Nov 1970 Lola Vs Powerman And The Moneygoround
    The Contenders
    Strangers - live 1970 - Dave live
    Denmark Street
    Get Back In Line
    Lola - TOTP - video - alt version
    Top Of The Pops - video
    Moneygoround - mono
    This Time Tomorrow - 2020 mix
    A Long Way From Home - live 70's - Ray live
    Rats
    Apeman - video - alt stereo - alt mono - ToTP - Calypso - live 94
    Powerman - mono - 2020 mix - live 70's
    Got To Be Free
    Anytime
    The Good Life

1971 Golden Hour Of The Kinks

Feb 1971 Percy (movie) - trailer
    Mar 1971 Percy (soundtrack)
    God's Children
    Lola
    The Way Love Used To Be - Ray live
    Completely
    Running Round Town
    Moments - Ray live
    Animals In The Zoo
    Just Friends
    Whip Lady
    Dreams
    Helga
    Willesden Green
    God's Children Outro

The Follower
    Ray On Wonderworld

1971 You Really Got Me - Mini Monster EP

Nov 1971 Muswell Hillbillies

20th Century Man - single - Alt Instr - Ray live
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - live 73 - John Peel
    Holiday - live 73
    Skin And Bone - live 70's - Ray live
    Alcohol - live 75 - cartoon
    Complicated Life
    Here Come The People In Grey - live 72
    Have A Cuppa Tea - alt version - live 72
    Holloway Jail
    Oklahoma USA - Ray Live
    Uncle Son - Alternate
    Muswell Hillbilly
    Lavender Lane
    Mountain Woman
    Kentucky Moon
    Nobody's Fool - Cold Turkey(Kinks?)
    Queenie

Ray interview 1971

Dec 1971 Muswell Hillbilly EP

1972 Muswell Hillbilly single (Jap)

Mar 1972 Kink Kronikles

Aug 1972 Everybody's In Showbiz

Here Comes Yet Another Day - live 74 - live 75
    Maximum Consumption
    Unreal Reality
    Hot Potatoes
    Sitting In My Hotel - 76 remix
    Motorway
    You Don't Know My Name
    Supersonic Rocket Ship - fan vid - BBC live - band video - live
    Look A Little On The Sunny Side
    Celluloid Heroes - live 82
    Top Of The Pops
    Brainwashed - Alt
    Mr Wonderful
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - Alt
    Holiday
    Muswell Hillbilly - Alt
    Alcohol - Alt
    Banana Boat Song
    Skin And Bone
    Baby Face
    Lola
    Til The End Of The Day
    You're Lookin' Fine
    Get Back In Line
    Have A Cuppa Tea
    Sunny Afternoon
    Complicated Life
    She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
    Long Tall Shorty
    History
    Sophisticated Lady

January 1973 The Great Lost Kinks Album

Ray's near death experience/suicide?

The Kinks Live AT The BBC 1973

Preservation Live

World Radio History

Starmaker Tv Play

Ray On Wonderworld

2005 Thanksgiving Day Ray live on Conan Obrien

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)

Does that work @ajsmith ?

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thanks Mark, although the duplicate Wonderworld listing after the Follower is is still there.

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

Ahhh I missed that. Sorry. I wasn't sure why you wanted it deleted lol
    I didn't realise I'd forgotten to delete it when I moved it.

DISKOJOE and ajsmith like this.
  23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

These Dave instrumental tracks are nice but they're not going to change your life or anything. "The Journey" sounds like one to wave your lighters along to. "Shadows" drives along nicely powered by excellent acoustic guitars.

24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Three hours to go till "Lola vs. Powerman" on Radio 4, a.k.a. 90 minutes of Ray bellyaching about the music business with some songs thrown in.

25. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

The Journey
    A nice instrumental that doesn't change the world. As our leader says, it's a nice breathing space on the album.

Shadows
    Another instrumental, and has been mentioned already, it moves along nicely.

I like both of these instrumentals, and am glad Dave didn't decide to add lyrics and vocals when this was being put together. They work nicely on the album. Nice guitar work on both.